• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird Food Combinations

LaNiña

This one is incredibly tasty andd really surprised me....  I was out at the indie cinema house in Ithaca NY (Cinemapolis) and saw that they had a wide variety of toppings for their popcorn (which is served with real melted butter - no yellow oil available or tolerated!).  They have brewer's yeast available which is sprinkllled on after the butter. try that and some freshly grated parm cheese on the popcorn - incredible!

A food-stylist friend keeps telling me how good brewers yeast is on popcorn. She'll be interested to know that she is not alone in that belief!

• 8 years later...

Yogurt pancakes with maple syrup and canned sardines (packed in oil, the spicy kind).

I liked it.

So was this a planned pregnancy? :biggrin::raz:

Seriously though... I'll have to take your word for it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My great aunt used to serve mango with sour cream and crumbled blue cheese. I thought it vile as a child, but I like it now.

I eat strawberries dipped in sweetened sour cream flavored with Fiore de Sicilia (kind of an Orange Julius vanilla-orange flavor) extract.

The worst combo I've heard about is a great uncle who liked navy beans on lemon meringue pie.

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

The worst combo I've heard about is a great uncle who liked navy beans on lemon meringue pie.

In the meal I ate at the now-defunct Tailor in NYC, one of the desserts involved grapefruit and white beans. I really enjoyed it, but my companions did not. Then again, I'm a big fan of Japanese azuki bean desserts, so maybe I'm just predisposed to liking such things!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

In the meal I ate at the now-defunct Tailor in NYC, one of the desserts involved grapefruit and white beans. I really enjoyed it, but my companions did not. Then again, I'm a big fan of Japanese azuki bean desserts, so maybe I'm just predisposed to liking such things!

Cool! Maybe ol' Uncle Rip wasn't loopy, just ahead of his time.

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

Peanut butter, bologna, a slice of American and mayo on white bread. I have no idea how our mother allowed us to eat this, but occasionally we did.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

• 3 weeks later...

My first thought was salt on cantalope but John beat me to it. I've never run into anyone else doing this, John, I've thought perhaps it was a southern thing -- my "daddy" came from Virginia.

The salt with melon thing actually goes back to ancient and medieval medicine. Melon was considered cold and humid and needed "dry hot" salt to balance it. Also why Italians eat prosciutto with melon. Elizabeth David said that her family used to sprinkle ground ginger on melon -- same thing.

My mother liked salt on watermelon and she also paired saltines with chocolate ice cream. So I grew up salting my watermelon. Seems wrong without. My husband and daughter think I'm nuts. I would salt cantaloupe as well, but don't eat that very often.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

Bleu cheese and coke.

For some strange reason the fizzy, sweet acidity cuts through the tangy mouth-coating creaminess in a way I find totally appealing.

I know, it's utterly disgusting.

Try the blue cheese with a good sweet white wine next time. Preferably one with a little acidty and not a flabby sweet wine. Sauternes, Jurnacon Moelleux or Coteaux du Layon would all work without being disgusting.

Blue cheese and beer is fantastic as well. Perfect balance.

James.

Cottage cheese and salsa.

Velveeta cheese and pretzel rods.

Chocolate graham crackers and coolwhip. (Yes, I ate this when I was pregnant.)

My mother eats crumbled up cold cornbread in a tall glass full of buttermilk, eaten with an iced tea spoon.

Funny I see this just now. The chef where I work (an Aramark chef, no less) made a watermelon "gazpacho" which he topped with crumbled feta, a combination that never would have occurred to me. Sublime.

I used to put sugar in buttermilk and also used to eat tomatoes with sugar rather than salt. Now I no longer drink buttermilk and normally put salt & pepper on my tomatoes but if there is a bit left after, say, making a sandwich I'll sprinkle a bit of sugar on it and finish it off. Not sure if that was weird or not - half my family did the same, the other half were salt purists.

Okay, Scotty, being generous and never having met your dad, who otherwise might be quite a sensible person, I'll venture to say that drinking Dr. Pepper that has been thickened by a sludge of white bread and mayo must be an acquired taste.