• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird Food Combinations

LaNiña

I'm surprised no one has mentioned peanut butter, mayo and pickle sandwiches - these are delicious! You can add pickles (really good ones) to anything.

There's a thread I started about pb and pickle sandwiches, which I was turned on to by a friend from Kansas. I was wondering about the origins and constitution of bread and butter pickles. B + B Pickle Thread I'm trying my first thread link, if it doesn't work, the thread's in cooking........

Cream cheese and jelly -- the poor man's cheesecake.  What's not to like?

Jelly.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Mustard on scrambled eggs.

Ketchup on scrambled eggs! Leave the mustard for the french fries. :biggrin:

Cinnamon sugar sprinkled on bacon.

Finely grated parmesan on hot, buttered popcorn.

• 4 weeks later...

I've eaten lots of the things listed. It might be a Maryland thing.

My family grew cantaloupe, which is really muskmelon, as a cash crop before the Great Depression in Central Maryland. The old folks always eat it with salt & pepper, as they do their tomatoes. It may have been the only thing they had to eat back when times were tough and it carried on.

My Mom used to make us sugar sandwiches; buttered bread sprinkled with sugar. Not toasted or anything. We liked 'em. She also used to make boiled ham with grape jelly; I never developed a need for that either. But then again, I've never eated bologna or Esskay hot dogs since I left home.

Peanut Butter and Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise; you need the sweetness of the Salad Dressing) on white bread. If you eat the Miracle Whip side up, the peanut butter won't stick to the top of your mouth. Try it!

Just about everything with Old Bay Seasoning. Cole slaw, potato salad, fried chicken, as well as the crabs and oysters, etc. Never thought to try it on cantelope, though. It could be tasty.

Smith Islanders (they are secluded down in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay and still talk with an English accent) put a hunk of Cheddar in thier coffee, drink the coffee, and spoon the cheese out after it melts. Never dared try it.

Finally, a family favorite. BBQ chips (or Crab Chips with Old Bay Seasoning) crunched up into neapolitan ice cream; hot-spicy-salty-sweet-chcololatey- vanilla-fruit sensation. Certainly a flavor overload for all but the bravest.

cracker + feta + honey = great

celery and peanut butter is good. don't think i've seen that mentioned.

my father likes pickles with brownies. his whole side of the family loves a slice of tomato (home grown) in a biscuit, but i find that disgusting.

radishes dipped into sour cream sprinkled with salt and pepper

blueberry bagel with onion and garlic cream cheese

left over rice (warmed) with sour cream (or buttermilk) and a tablespoon of sugar

buttermilk and pan fried herbed potatoes....yummy

:rolleyes:

There's a yummy in my tummy.

Okay, okay, I have to put this one out, because I always get the weirdest looks when I describe it.

My grandmother used to make this killer caramel corn--really good stuff. Then one day a neighbor told her to try making it with cheese puffs instead of popcorn. It's fantastic! Just the right blend of salt and sweet.

I felt so validated when I found a frou-frou popcorn place that sold both caramel corn and cheesy corn, and also bags of them mixed together! Heaven.

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

I often eat toast with toppings that remind me a bit of the most recent few posts in here:

toast with cream cheese and strawberry jam

toast with cheddar and honey

Also sometimes in sandwiches. And I don't think either is particularly weird :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Bleu cheese and coke.

For some strange reason the fizzy, sweet acidity cuts through the tangy mouth-coating creaminess in a way I find totally appealing.

I know, it's utterly disgusting.

Try the blue cheese with a good sweet white wine next time. Preferably one with a little acidty and not a flabby sweet wine. Sauternes, Jurnacon Moelleux or Coteaux du Layon would all work without being disgusting.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Weird but tastes good (although I don't eat it with a dollop of mayo as some folks do).... a holiday jello consiting of lime and lemon jello, chopped walnuts, crushed pineapple, finely chopped celery and chopped green olives with pimentos. Bizarre but actually an intriguing combination if you can tolerate jello.

Off topic but not by much was a customer I had when tending bar years ago. It was a limiited menu service bar - when she ordered a Kahlua and creamm and was advised that we did not have milk drinks she switched to "the next best thing" - Jack Daniels and cranberry juice!

My grandmother used to make this killer caramel corn--really good stuff.  Then one day a neighbor told her to try making it with cheese puffs instead of popcorn.  It's fantastic!  Just the right blend of salt and sweet.

You're a freak! Then again, I never understood the whole cheesy-poof thing.

One of the regulars at the pub where I drank in high school was an elderly and harmless schizophrenic who constantly talked to himself. One night I overheard the barmaid ask him what he’d had for supper. “Pig, badger and tomato.” Without missing a beat the barmaid replied, “Oh, your favourite.”

This one is incredibly tasty andd really surprised me.... I was out at the indie cinema house in Ithaca NY (Cinemapolis) and saw that they had a wide variety of toppings for their popcorn (which is served with real melted butter - no yellow oil available or tolerated!). They have brewer's yeast available which is sprinkllled on after the butter. try that and some freshly grated parm cheese on the popcorn - incredible!