• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird Food Combinations

LaNiña

I'm sitting here eating watermelon with feta cheese, which I realize in certain parts of the world isn't weird, but here, man, the reactions I get...you'd think I was eating a sheep's eyeball or something :biggrin:

What food combinations do you guys eat that are "weird?" I love cottage cheese with ketchup, for example...

Not strange food combinations, but unorthodox seasoning:

My father taught me how a light springling of salt brings out the flavor of a ripe melon.

Charles Shere had a breakfast suggestion published in Gourmet years ago: Hot toast with lashings of butter, liberally sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper.

I like mature farmhouse cheddar nibbled with strong hot black coffee.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Maybe it's a father thing. My father who grew up in Jersey and then California also sprinkled cantelope with salt.

A Hungarian friend introduced me to open faced sandwiches of soft, sweet butter and sliced radishes sprinkled with a little salt. Delightful addition to a summer table.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm surprised it's so unusual, although I've not encountered it elsewhere. My Dad wasn't from the South but lived briefly in Kentucky/Kansas. And it was precisely cantalope that he salted.

Of course there's the cook's axiom: a little salt with the sweet, a little sugar with the savory.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

My favorite sandwich - sardines, peanut butter and raw vidalia onion on pumpernickel toast. It really does taste very good.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I always salt my watermelon--always gets me some weird looks at picnics.

Feta and watermelon? Hmmm. I love Jean George Vongerichten's recipe for watermelon w/crumbled goat cheese, cracked black pepper and a drizzle of EV Olive oil--that is good stuff.

Challah back!

Watermelon with salt

Apples with salt

Apples dipped in peanut butter

Cheese dipped in BBQ sauce

Cottage cheese with horseradish (stuffed into a toasted pita)

Grilled cheese with mustard?

Pepper on anything sweet...