• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gold dust - I need a realistic one!

Jeni Hicks

I'm trying to find a gold dust that can be mixed with vodka (or extracts, or whatever....) and painted on a fondant cake, that will result in a very realistic, metallic finish. I've tried Cal-Java Super Gold as well as a couple of others whose names elude me, and haven't been impressed - I wound up with a fairly matte, vaguely gold-like look...nothing near to a "real" gold finish.

I've heard rumblings of good things about the dust from Albert Uster....anyone else? Can you recommend any other product? I can't afford to buy dusts from all over, so if someone can point me to a good one, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks!

The stuff from Uster works well however, it's labelled as inedible and for decoration only. So you should peel the fondant off before serving.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

It was my understanding that the AU dust was labeled "decoration only" in the same way that dragees are - a technicality, really. Am I mistaken?

I'm unable to use gold leaf as I need to paint a flowing, precise pattern.

Thanks for the ideas - if anyone can clarify the "decoration only" thing, I'd appreciate it. :)

J

As far as the "decoration only" thing ...... you can buy 2 kinds of edible gold leaf or gold powder. The first is mostly gold with other alloys; that's the one marked "for decoration only", and is the kind you buy from most places, or you can buy pure 23kt gold powder which is completely edible, as pure gold is an inert metal and has no ill effects on the body. It's obviously a lot more expensive, though. It's the same as the flakes in goldschlager, but powdered, although you can buy flakes or leaf packets too.

I've been buying mine from these guys for years and they're a good company to deal with:

http://www.goldleafcompany.com/goldleaf.html

Go 3/4 way down the page and find Dauvet Powder Gold - Edible Gold Powder .... that's the one you want. Make sure you buy the edible stuff because they mostly sell inedible metals for crafts, etc.

Oh, and don't use extacts with this stuff, especially lemon, because the acidity will turn the gold off colour. Plus it's easier to spread an even coat with straight alcohol like vodka, because it dries quicker.

Hope that helps.

Try Gold Highlighter Dust (not luster dusts which while shiny have more of a matte finish). The Gold Highlighter is supposed to have a very shiny metallic look to it. Sugarcraft, Earlenes, and most cake chops will carry it. Here's a link to it on Global Sugar Art Click Here

This place shows you how they look Click here

Edited by Deborah (log)