• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food things I didn't know at this time last year

I learned that when taking food photographs, select one item and focus in with a good zoom lens for the best photo to post on Image Gullet ... :huh:

I learned how to read a recipe much, much more carefully ... :hmmm:

I learned that to cook a dish properly, I really must set up my mis en place before beginning ... :wink:

Anything new that you have learned here? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I learned to deep fry and not be afraid of my deep fryer.

I learned how to make gumbo

I learned to braise

I learned how to make pie crust (sort of)

I learned how to make pizza from scratch with a pizza stone

I learned the value of a mise en place.

I learned not to be afraid to experiment with recipes, quantities and ingredients

I learned how to make the best turkey ever

I learned not to make battered halibut in a deep fryer.

Was it really only this past year I started making stock? It feels like I've been making it forever.

2005 was a year of many cooking firsts for me, and I swear in 2006 I'm going to conquer that stupid rice cooker. :hmmm:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

2005 was a year of many cooking firsts for me, and I swear in 2006 I'm going to conquer that stupid rice cooker. :hmmm:

If you can conquer your fear of the deep fryer, Marlene, then overpowering your rice cooker ought to be a cinch! :laugh:

The moral of this tale? Never let an appliance sense your fear .. approach it confidently and shock it into submission to your will :huh: .. after all, who is the Boss anyway?? :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You forgot to mention Ling and her dough-eating habits.

I think Ling and her eating habits in general are quite educational. :laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

^I'm flattered. And I'm glad I could be of service. :laugh:

I learned how different cocoa brands yield such different tasting cakes through my chocolate cake experiment.

I learned that adding a bit of sour cream to pie dough yields a softer dough that's easier to work with.

I've learned to be a better restaurant patron--to arrive on time, be more appreciative of the hard work that goes on in the front and back of the house, and to give second chances.

I've learned a bit about different grape varietals, different regions, and wine pairings.

I've learned a lot about chocolate. Michel Cluizel makes my favourite eating chocolate, and I've just discovered this brand recently. (They've just started importing to Vancouver.)

I had the opportunity to work in a busy professional kitchen, and I learned how swamped it can get back there. (And I was only there during a Thursday lunch service! :shock: )

I learned about food all around the world, particularly through the food blogs. :wub:

I learned more about being a responsible consumer, and about sustainability.

I found percyn's delicious breakfasts, Megan's colorful (and often quite healthful) lunches, Alinka's food and photography, Patrick's macaroons, Yetty's yummy snacks, racheld and Pontormo's writing, Susan's gorgeous dinners in Florida, Daniel's pork fest, and Chufi's Dutch cooking thread, to name a few. There is much, much more that I've gleaned from posters this year! :wub:

This year I learned how to:

1. use eGullet, I think?

2. post photos to eGullet,

3. to make gravlax (check out thread)

4. to make my own aguavit (a work in progress)

5. to finally make a decent tart crust.

Happy New Year to all,

Jmahl

Edited for spelling - not one of my strong points.

Edited by Jmahl (log)

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I learned how to make Barbeque...isnt that all that really matters

2 whole butts in the fridge right now

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I learned how to find & cook Maine shrimp in New Jersey, thanks to some online inspiration from johnnyd (see New England forum).

In my ongoing obsessive quest, I have come close to perfecting my approach to preparing rigatoni amatriciana, though I have not yet attained the consistency I'd like.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Oh my god, where should I start??? I know how to cook now!

Probably the most important thing I learned was this: if you poach eggs for five minutes, they turn into a cross between rubber and concrete and you can play tennis with them.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I discovered eGullet and learned that there are other people out there who are as crazy about food as I am!  :wub:  :wub:

What she said.

I'll ditto that too.

I also learned (primarily through eGullet) many new and fascinating things about Chinese cooking techniques and ingredients. How I managed to live without fermented bean curd and pork belly all these years, I now haven't a clue. :smile:

2005 has been a wonderful year for learning about new methods of preparing foods, finding new sources for exotic (or mundane) foods or ingredients or spices and how to use them.

My belief has been reinforced that a passion for food and cooking crosses all national, cultural and ethnic boundaries, promoting friendships between people that otherwise might never have met.

No wonder that the breaking and sharing of bread and salt has been a sign of peace between strangers since prehistoric times.

Thanks to eGullet, I have many new and interesting friends who have taught me so much.

Thank you!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett