• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese New Year 2006

aznsailorboi

First year? According to cantonese custom (that is, if you're cantonese...if not, you're safe..or maybe not), you've to give DOUBLE angbaos. Have fun! :biggrin:

Yes, first year. It'll be six months on Feb 13th. :wub:

Yes, I'm Cantonese (half Toysanese, half HK), but Mom never said anything about DOUBLE angbaos.

I understand "DOUBLE angbaos" to mean one from you, and the second angbao from your husband. At least, that's what I was told when I got married. It must be traditon as I got married SO LONG AGO!! :laugh:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Well, it does this Old Codger good to see all the happiness in this little "family" of ours. Sassybat, congratulations on you upcoming nuptuals, "duck caller" belated congratulations on your recent marriage, and to our Prodigal GastroGirl, welcome back. You returned just in time to see the advent of the New Year.

I have never heard the term "angbao" used before as I (we) always used the term "hungbao". Is it because of dialects and accents or is it another term?

I have never heard the term "angbao" used before as I (we) always used the term "hungbao". Is it because of dialects and accents or is it another term?

Dialect. Hokkien, to be specific.

In Cantonese, "hung" in "hungbao" means red - referring to the color. Does "ang" in Hokkien mean red too? It sounds like "silver", or "money". Different dialects have different ways of naming the same item in Chinese.

Gastro Girl: Welcome back! Kung Hey Fat Choy! It's been a year since you organized the CNY dinner. Are you doing it again in the year of the Dog? Are you going to wear the cheung sham again?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Well, it does this Old Codger good to see all the happiness in this little "family" of ours. Sassybat, congratulations on you upcoming nuptuals, "duck caller" belated congratulations on your recent marriage, and to our Prodigal GastroGirl, welcome back. You returned just in time to see the advent of the New Year.

Now Ben Sook, don't you see Gastro's outstretched palm and big smile on her face? Why do you think she's here just in time for CNY!? :rolleyes::laugh:

As my kids will say, " Gung Hai Fat Choi! Lai see DAI LAI!"

My Chinese students have organized a CNY party for tomorrow night. Tonight, I'll make some lobak goh to take along. I may also take a dish of fat choi with lotus root, peas, etc. Yesterday, I took in my "toon hap" full of candied carrots, lotus roots, lotus nuts, coconut ribbons, winter melon and melon seeds. It was emptied before the day ended!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dialect. Hokkien, to be specific.

In Cantonese, "hung" in "hungbao" means red - referring to the color. Does "ang" in Hokkien mean red too? It sounds like "silver", or "money". Different dialects have different ways of naming the same item in Chinese.

Oh good. I thought I was misspelling it, so I'll go back to hungbao, since that's what I'm used to saying.

I understand "DOUBLE angbaos" to mean one from you, and the second angbao from your husband. At least, that's what I was told when I got married. It must be tradition as I got married SO LONG AGO!! :laugh:

Dejah. Ah. Yes, we do that. I've been getting hungbaos each from by sisters and their spouses ever since they got married, so I thought you meant that my husband and I each to give two hungbaos, making a total of four for each kid. I’m glad we cleared that up. I would have felt guilty otherwise.

Ben Sook, thanks for the belated congrats.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Perfect timing!

In Washington, D.C., a small group of us will be dining at the end of the week at Bob's Noodle 66.

For some of us, this will be our first time in a Taiwanese restaurant. It's a modest family place, but one that comes highly recommended.

Are there any specifically Taiwanese traditions for dining at the beginning of the Lunar New Year?

ETA: There will be married and single members present, but I was thinking more along the lines of dishes to order.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I understand "DOUBLE angbaos" to mean one from you, and the second angbao from your husband. At least, that's what I was told when I got married. It must be tradition as I got married SO LONG AGO!! :laugh:

Dejah. Ah. Yes, we do that. I've been getting hungbaos each from by sisters and their spouses ever since they got married, so I thought you meant that my husband and I each to give two hungbaos, making a total of four for each kid. I’m glad we cleared that up. I would have felt guilty otherwise.

same here. i have always received two lai see from each aunt/uncle set, and so i always assumed my husband and i would give out two to each person, one from me, and one from him. i have never heard of giving double lai see on the first year after marriage, so i was afraid we'd have to give four to everyone! :unsure:

Are there any specifically Taiwanese traditions for dining at the beginning of the Lunar New Year?

"Taiwanese"" are Chinese, so the usual rules apply.

Thank you for responding. An old friend is, in fact, a sinologist who has lived in Taiwan for a number of years. However, here in the U.S., a very limited number of people know that you're supposed to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's and others gulp oysters. I thought there might be something idiosyncratic, local...a regional specialty....

Edited by Pontormo (log)

I remember when my youngest aunt got married, all the angpaos they gave out the following Chinese New Year were indeed double, one coming from her and another one from her husband, but we're not Cantonese...so I guess that rule goes with us (Hokkien) too.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Thank you for responding. An old friend is, in fact, a sinologist who has lived in Taiwan for a number of years. However, here in the U.S., a very limited number of people know that you're supposed to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's and others gulp oysters. I thought there might be something idiosyncratic, local...a regional specialty....

Pineapple is the regional specialty. "Ong-Lai" is Taiwanese for pineapple which rhymes with "great fortune".

Leave the gun, take the canoli

...to our Prodigal GastroGirl, welcome back. You returned just in time to see the advent of the New Year...

<bows>

Apologies for being away for so long! I have been trying to sort things out prior to my big move. Oh, did I mention that herbacidal and I did finally meet up last year? Nice kid - knows alot about the Philly food scene.

And hey, a girl's gotta collect her lai see. It's a good incentive not to get married, ya know? :wink::laugh:

Regional specialities? I would think it's more family specialities. Each family has their own customs. Just make sure no one wears black, curses or does things in 4's and you'll be fine. :laugh:

Regional specialities?  I would think it's more family specialities.  Each family has their own customs.  Just make sure no one wears black, curses or does things in 4's and you'll be fine.  :laugh:

Sorry, all of you, since I seem to be interrupting. I have only skimmed the thread and will need to go back and look more thoroughly. Yes, I did notice you were discussing your own families and their traditions.

I'll let you catch up with Gastro888, her move, et al. Once you're through, though, please tell me whether it's okay for 12 eGullet members to eat together at 3 joined tables that seat 4 each.

What if we all wear red?

:smile:

Pineapple is the regional specialty. "Ong-Lai" is Taiwanese for pineapple which rhymes with "great fortune".

LOTS of pineapples.....the devotees(lots of Taiwanese) at the Temple that we go to when I was a kid love to bring these as offering for CNY, and they make paper foldings stuck together to make hundreds of different sized joss paper pineapples to be burned for the CNY celebration. It was just so wonderful seeing all those joss papers folded and then formed into sculptures ie. pineapple, horses, dragons, cars and so on.....but in the end they get burned. :sad:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Regional specialities?  I would think it's more family specialities.  Each family has their own customs.  Just make sure no one wears black, curses or does things in 4's and you'll be fine.   :laugh:

Sorry, all of you, since I seem to be interrupting. I have only skimmed the thread and will need to go back and look more thoroughly. Yes, I did notice you were discussing your own families and their traditions.

I'll let you catch up with Gastro888, her move, et al. Once you're through, though, please tell me whether it's okay for 12 eGullet members to eat together at 3 joined tables that seat 4 each.

What if we all wear red?

:smile:

Nah, not an interruption, it's all good. Actually, I'm still in DC, so PM me if you want more details.

Eat lots of dumplings for good luck!

my big move.  Oh, did I mention that herbacidal and I did finally meet up last year?  Nice kid - knows alot about the Philly food scene.

And well.....??? lean over and tell your old Uncle Ben. :biggrin:

<bows> And nothing! What, y'all were expecting something? Pffft. :raz:

He was incredibly gracious and kind to host me and my friends. We got a great tour of Philly's Chinatown with him and also went to this wonderful gelato shop for some awesome desserts after a rather interesting (re: service and food were subpar) dinner at a local BYOB. Nice kid!

And hey, a girl's gotta collect her lai see.  It's a good incentive not to get married, ya know?  :wink:  :laugh:

The other day I was talking with a friend about hungbaos, and I turn to my husband and said, "Now that we're married, I think you're going to get a hungbao from Mom this year. Wohoo! Horray for marriage!" (Yeah, I still love getting 'em.) Pause. Picture the little wheels in my head spinning. "Oh, no! Wait! But that means not only do I not GET any from my sisters, we have to GIVE some to the kids!" SHOOT!!

So much for the spirit of giving! :rolleyes:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Apologies for being away for so long!  I have been trying to sort things out prior to my big move.  Oh, did I mention that herbacidal and I did finally meet up last year?  Nice kid - knows alot about the Philly food scene.

herbacidal is the one who introduced me to eGullet. Kinda reminds me of my brother.

Karen C.

Hi Gastro, I've read so much about you from the CNY 2005 thread, that was a funny thread....and you've finally met up with herbacidal. :raz: