• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese New Year 2006

aznsailorboi

That CNY 2005 thread reminds me that someone still owes the group a picture of herself in that famous cheongsam. C'mon, ya got 30 hours left of this year. :raz:

<bows> Gung Hay Fat Choy everyone!

Oh yeah...oops, that's right. Oops! Well, how's this - if I ever get married in this lifetime, I'll post the picture of me in a cheongsam! How's that?! :raz::laugh:

Ohhhh myyy gawwwwd......i'm still full from last night and its already noon here.....i'm not used to eating alot anymore. I so pigged out last night, then I was literally falling asleep trying to finish my dessert. Right now I still feel like my food is still in my throat area and won't go down all the way.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Gung Hay Fat Choy everyone!

Back from visiting mom's CNY feast. I think she's starting to veer from the traditional in order to placate the picky eaters in the family. Everything was soooo good though. My brother had to work so there are plenty of leftovers!! Corn soup, steamed chicken, Buddha's Delight and other stuff for dinner...Law bok gao for breakfast...

steamed salty chicken with head and feet on (grossed out grandson! :laugh:

Kids are wimps these days...nieces and nephews get freaked out at chicken with head and feet on, and mom has foresaken tradition and has taken to not setting it out on the table.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

We got to have fish, hairy fungus, dry oyster on the table. Mom likes to skip on tofu and wintermelon for New Year.

HAIRY FUNGUS?

Are you kidding me? That's the greatest ingredient name I have ever heard.

Do you have a picture?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

saturday night i celebrated with my friends and held a hot pot/potsticker party. sorry, no pictures. i was too busy cooking! yesterday i trekked up to monterey park to visit my grandparents. for lunch we went to the sam woo at the corner of del mar and valley, and for dinner my grandma cooked. for dinner we had crab legs, lamb chops, dong gu, etc. it was goooooood.

.......and my grandma reminded me that next year i have to start giving out lai see...... :hmmm:

Edited by sassybat (log)

I can't get home to see my family for CNY, so I'm inviting non-Chinese friends over for dinner. I'm open to suggestions if you have them. Here's what I'm thinking:

Appetizer:

Oysters on the half shell - The live oysters here (Seattle) are fantastic. It's more ho, than ho see, but I figure it's good enough. How's that for a bad Cantonese pun?

First course:

Yu Sheng Salad. I am hoping to use Renee Kho's recipe, which can be found on Web archives since her site www.shiokadelicious.com is now gone...very sad. I've never had this before since my parents are from Hong Kong, but I think it will be fantastic with some sushi-grade Alaskan salmon.

Main courses:

5-Spice Roast Chicken. I have to admit, I'm partial to Tom Douglas' recipe in Big Dinners. It's not authentic, but damn, it is good.

Steamed tilapia with ginger and scallions

Stir-fried baby bok choy with Chinese ham

Noodle dish. For long life! I'm in search of an e-fu noodle dish, possibly with seafood - anyone have suggestions?

Steamed rice, of course.

Dessert:

Undecided. I don't like nian gao, and I doubt anyone is going to bring any. Possibly some kind of tong shui.

Here are the photos! The dinner turned out great.

I'm normally not a 5 spice fan but the spice store down on Western Ave in Pike Place Market, Seattle, makes a delicious blend. They sell it whole and I roast and grind it at home.

I ended up making a Shrimp and Bean Thread dish for the noodle dish, and added the law bok gow/turnip cake at my mom's suggestion instead of the bok choy. Everyone loved the yu sheng, and the dogs loved the flying vegetables.

My friends brought oranges, a lavendar goat cheese with rice crackers, key lime pie and an Alsatian Pinot Blanc and Gewurztraminer.

gallery_25085_2468_645712.jpg

gallery_25085_2468_203757.jpg

Edited by wonderbread (log)

[...]i'm not used to eating alot anymore. I so pigged out last night, then I was literally falling asleep trying to finish my dessert. Right now I still feel like my food is still in my throat area and won't go down all the way.

Would you enlighten us? 411 on your yummy dinner plz? What did you have for CNY?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

HAIRY FUNGUS?

Are you kidding me? That's the greatest ingredient name I have ever heard.

Do you have a picture?

The literal translation from Chinese "Fat Choy" (same pronounciation as "getting rich") is "hair vegetable". A fungus species that resembles human hair.

Here are a few pictures of it:

Stir-Fried Lotus Roots with Dry Conpoy and Hairy Moss Fungi (連年發財: 瑤柱發菜炒蓮藕)

Notice the hair-like fungi.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

We are just finishing today the leftovers from CNY Eve's dinner (I don't know whether to sob or groan).

The dinner started with a bang as friends turned up with a bunch of fireworks!!! :biggrin: All eating was delayed while we ran out to the back garden to ensure that all the evil spirits were frightened away by lots of explosions (my neighbours must hate me.....)

After the pryotechnics, the menu ended up being:

Cold Platter of Sichuan Cucumber, Spring Rolls, BBQ and Crispy Pork, Jellyfish Salad

Then Bang Bang Chicken

Ginger Prawns with Mixed Vegetables

Eight Treasures Chicken

Steamed New Zealand Snapper

Long Beans with Chile and Pork

Black Bean Beef Fried Noodles

Mango Pudding and Pineapple (thanks Azianbrewer and 'sailorboi- I told the guests about the ong-lai Taiwanese pun!)

Not a traditional menu really, I know, but good fun!

Thanks again for the eight treasure chicken recipe, 'sailorboi - though I must add that I had the same problem as Adam with the rice being overdone. However, everyone gobbled it up - leaving just enough for eating on CNY. I do have some pictures that I will try and post (although I'll be away from a computer for a week, so they'll be delayed somewhat!!!). The de-boning was a crucial bit of excitement for me!

BTW, I was told that one shouldn't use knives on CNY itself, so it's important to ensure that there is enough food leftover and jiaozi in the freezer to secure your food for CNY day. Is that something particular to Northern China?

My mum remembers that in her Manchurian youth, they would dig a great big hole in the ground before NY and filled it with layers of jiaozi which were for eating on NY itself and subsequent days... Of course, the jiaozi would freeze solid in their ground-freezer - thus ensuring knive-free cooking days!

I didn't think this was something that was possible south of Beijing......

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

After reading and seeing all the delicious recipes posted on this thread on CNY, I am surprised that no one bothered to make ho see soong , or oyster soong. It is a tradition among my own family when Mother was around.

Actually, Mom made it. I blanked out on the name until you mentioned it.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

After reading and seeing all the delicious recipes posted on this thread on CNY, I am surprised that no one bothered to make ho see soong , or oyster soong. It is a tradition among my own family when Mother was around.

Not sure what ho see soongis exactly. If it is rehydrated oysters stir-fried with fat choi, then Ben Sook, you'll be happy to hear Rebecca made it for Mom. :smile:

I still want to make the dry jai to eat with lettuce leaves, but I just don't have time!

We went out to a CNY buffet at a local restaurant last night. It was wonderful last year, but this time, the owners were away to LA, so the food didn't measure up. :sad:

Tonight, we'll enjoy the yummy leftovers from our own supper on Sunday.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

[...]i'm not used to eating alot anymore. I so pigged out last night, then I was literally falling asleep trying to finish my dessert. Right now I still feel like my food is still in my throat area and won't go down all the way.

Would you enlighten us? 411 on your yummy dinner plz? What did you have for CNY?

Oh right, totally forgot to mention what We ate......

Eight Treasure Chicken (of course) :cool:

steamed whole fish

char siu

cantonese roast pork

cantonese roast duck

jellyfish

pork neck bones soup (courtesy of hzrt8w's recipe)

yang chow fried rice

3 types of seafood on crispy shanghai noodles

sweet taro soup with mini tapioca pearls and tang yuen

the eight treasure chicken was yummy as always...although i bought a chicken with too much fat and didnt bother trimming it...so it was a little too greasy i had to skim some of it off during cooking ,i used the grease for sauteing later on...none was wasted :wink: . The steamed fish was also very delicious after everyone had their share i killed the rest of it bones, cartilage, head and all. I wasn't worried of the freshness coz i bought the fish alive, my roomate had half his eyes covered when I whacked the fish unconscious and while gutting it (kids these days...hahaha :laugh: ). The Charsiu and the duck, I bought those coz I dunno how to make it....so i left it to the professionals. The roast pork I made myself :smile: according to BenHong's instructions on the "pork belly" thread. the bubbly blistered skin was fantastic! so crispy with a perfect intonation of the five spices. the jellyfish was softened according to instructions, blanched then marinated in soy sauce, vinegar, sugar,sesame oil, garlic, chili and roasted sesame seeds. the neckbone soup was good, the lotus root was so tender and flavorful, had it boiling longer than its supposed to so the meat was falling off the bone too, and the dried squid was soo tender after it was boiled for hours. the noodles were very good too, i had scallops, cuttlefish and shrimps sauteed in green onions and ginger just barely cooking the seafood, then i added veggies like mushrooms, snow peas and young corn. then a splash of vodka ( I use vodka coz it doesnt have that strong taste to it like xiaoshing ) and rich chicken stock. as soon as it starts boiling thicken with cornstarch slurry and then pour on top of the fried crispy shangai noodle nest and arrange a few pieces of blanched gai lan on top. The Fried rice was also a hit. sauteed alot of onions then added chopped lap cheung and chopped charsiu and then some salad shrimp then the cold rice. season with equal amounts of salt sugar and msg. then add maybe another tablespoon of sugar for good measure add blnched corn and green peas. push the rice on the side and scramble two eggs when almost set, mix well and serve with chopped scallions on top. and finally the dessert.. its a warm dessert perfect for the cold weather, cook the mini tapioca pearls...DONT DRAIN..and then set aside. boil some water and sugar ratio 3:1, then added the mashed cooked taro. boil till the mixture is all dissolved, then strain the mixture with a fine sieve to remove the hard chunky taro thats left behind, its usually the fibers and such, but you can leave them in there too if your not too fussy about the textures. after straining return back to pot and keep boiling. make the tang yuen 1 cup of sticky rice flour with 1/3 cup warm water, mix well to make a not too sticky dough, pinch into small marble size piece and roll into a ball with palms(cover your hands with rice flour for easier handling) then drop into another pot of boiling water and wait till all surfaces to the top, use a slotted spoon to fish them out then transfer to the boiling syrup and taro mixture, add the tapioca pearls and a can of coconut milk and make sure to stir in well, the coconut milk sometimes have cream coagulate on top of the can, enough heat will melt this, so dont worry about the blotchy white grains, they will eventually disappear. Right now is the best time for adjusting the taste, add more sugar if you want it sweeter and if you think its too soupy, add a slurry of sticky rice powder to the mixture, slowly add a little at a time, to gauge the thickness and so u dont end up with pudding.

this is my CNY feast .....like i said by the time i got to dessert i was falling asleep ....too full. pics should follow soon, i think too much pics i have to do them a batch at a time, imagegullet cant handle all of em. hehehe

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

The Chinese New Year celebrations aren't done yet!!!!! I know there are some specific foods you have to eat for the next 15 days after the first day of the lunar year.

I only know one....... you should eat Chong Wan I on the 9th day after the lunar year for the Lantern Festival. Chong Wan I is like Tang yuen but with roughly ground peanuts and sugar inside and cooked in a light syrup (5:1 water to sugar ratio) and fresh tangerine or orange peel.

Gosh, are w'all stuffed or what? After 3 days (of great restraint), I've put on 3 lbs and eaten 3 yee sangs! I hope my weight doesn't increase exponentially with the days of the new year.

My Vegetarian Lunch pix as promised earlier. It's a tradition with my family to eat vegetarian on the first day of CNY...something about being kind to all creatures great and small :rolleyes: . Although some of the vegetarian gluten is purchased, mom still did a fantastic job converting them into culinary delights. Did I tell you my mother is a great cook?

More pix later.....burp! 'scuse me....

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

First course:

Yu Sheng Salad. I am hoping to use Renee Kho's recipe, which can be found on Web archives since her site www.shiokadelicious.com is now gone...very sad. I've never had this before since my parents are from Hong Kong, but I think it will be fantastic with some sushi-grade Alaskan salmon.

Wonderbread, can you post the recipe for the Yu Sheng Salad? It looks great and I tried going back to the website you mentioned, but it's down. Thanks!

Wonderbread --- Everything looks great! I could eat that whole plate of turnip cake myself. Are you still interested in an E-fu noodle recipe? With crab?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't cook myself -- but went out with New Jersey Gulleteers to a great place that leans toward Shanghainese food with a lot of Sichuan thrown in. This was our menu:

First Course:

Spicy Capsicum Cellophane Noodles

Cold Firm Bean Curd "Noodles" with Cilantro and Sesame Oil

Pork and String Bean Jiaozi Dumplings

Soup

Exotic Greens with Pork and Tofu Soup

Appetizer:

Salt and Pepper Shrimp and Squid (deep fried)

Main Course

Peking Duck

Crispy Tofu Skin Wrapped Flounder (deep fried)

Braised Whole Chicken Stuffed with Sticky Rice

Ruby Pork with Sesame Buns

Saute Fresh Shitake Mushroom with Fresh Bamboo Hearts

Stir-fried Shanghai Noodles

Dessert

Fruit Platter

Home made jello mold made by Rachel -- a special Gulleteer

Jason,

The noodles look wonderful. :wub: They appear to be completley crispy rather than crispy in spots. Did you deep-fry them, or did you pan-fry them with lots of hot oil on a hot pan?

The only way I can get mine to crisp up evenly is when I use my large crepe pan and chilled egg noodles.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

First course:

Wonderbread, can you post the recipe for the Yu Sheng Salad? It looks great and I tried going back to the website you mentioned, but it's down. Thanks!

Here is the Yu Sheng link - I found it on the Way Back Machine, which archives old Web pages. Scroll down - there is a Part I and a Part II to her Yu Sheng recipe. I couldn't find all the pickled vegetables she used, so I substituted Japanese pickles, and I fried up small squares of wonton wrappers.

Jo-Mel: Thanks! Still looking for an e-fu recipe if you have it! I scanned the aisles of an Asian market and am slightly embarassed to say I couldn't figure out what the e fu package looks like. I've only had it cooked in restaurants before.

Edited by wonderbread (log)

Jason,

The noodles look wonderful. :wub:  They appear to be completley crispy rather than crispy in spots. Did you deep-fry them, or did you pan-fry them with lots of hot oil on a hot pan?

The only way I can get mine to crisp up evenly is when I use my large crepe pan and chilled egg noodles.

I pan fried them in a wok. Next time I'll use a cast iron pan with more oil. Still came out really good, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

[...] It's a tradition with my family to eat vegetarian on the first day of CNY...something about being kind to all creatures great and small  :rolleyes:

If I remember it correctly, in Cantonese practice observed in Hong Kong... on the first day of CNY, we must have a fresh (live) chicken to "open the year". It's on the second day (or is it the third day?) that it is a vegetarian day.

On the third day, there is supposed to be no visit ("Gi Hou"). If you visit your relatives on the third day, you risk getting into a quarrel. Oops... this is the third day of CNY (US time). Why am I talking to you???

Can anybody tell me the Chinese name for "Yu seng" or "yee sang" or "yu sheng"?

Is it 魚生?

If it is, that's the same as the Chinese translation for sashimi.

It's driving me nuts not comprehending what you guys were talking about.