• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Those of you that grew up using porcelain spoons

Kent Wang

I have to agree Kent, I can "taste" the metal in the spoon, specially with hot soups and more so on the areas of the spoon that has scratches...or maybe its just me :hmmm: . But I didn't taste anything funny when using the porcelain spoons growing up :laugh: and it doesnt heat up as much as a metal spoon would that leaves an owwie on your lips.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

When I eat jook or other Chinese-style soups, I reach for the porcelain spoons. For everything else, I use metal spoons. I've never noticed a metallic taste, but have been scorched many times. It just doesn't feel right to eat something like a borsht or chowder with a porcelain spoon.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Sometimes porcelain spoons are too big for the occasion and the shape of the western spoon is preferred, in those cases I reach for a plastic disposable spoon instead of a metal one. Plastic is slightly less inert than porcelain but still much better than metal.

I find metal spoons too small for soup. I favor a good porcelain spoon. Plus, yes, metal spoons can get too hot while porcelain spoons are always just right.

I prefer porcelain spoon when having hot items as well because metal spoons do get too hot. Other than that, I use whatever is at hand....

I too find the metallic spoons have some funny taste to the tongue. I grew up using porcelain spoons. I go by a very simple rule: When I eat Chinese style (most of the time), I use porcelain spoons. When I eat "Western" style, I use metallic spoons.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I did not grow up using porcelain spoons, but I wish I did.. As I child I hated using metal silverware.. To the point were just the clanging of it puts a metal taste in my mouth and makes me highly annoyed... I eventually starting using plastic silverware.. Obviously I would use a sharp steak knife to cut.. But I would use plastic spoons and forks at the dinner table.. I also started using chopsticks to eat at a very young age..

To this day, I still dislike silverware for the most part.. I am known to break out the plastic spoons for desserts..

Edited by Daniel (log)

For the longest time I didn't even know what a real metal spoon was since our family always used the porcelain/plastic spoons for soup. I still dislike the way the metal spoon gets so hot and leaves a metallic taste in my mouth. The only thing I usually use a metal spoon for is stirring sugar into coffee.

To this day, I still dislike silverware for the most part.. I am known to break out the plastic spoons for desserts..

Yes! Especially for ice cream where there is a lot of spoon-licking.

Trouble with plastic for ice cream is if the ice cream is too hard, my spoon breaks, because I'm too impatient to wait for it melt a little. I've wound up with a lot of broken spoons. Good thing they come cheap or usually free. What I like with ice cream are those little wooden soons. Yeah, it tastes woody, but it reminds me of the days when the Good Humor man came around the neighborhood.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I like the wood spoons.. But my absolute favorite are the little tasters spoons they serve samples on.. Whenever I get an ice cream I ask for the little spoons..

At a restaurant, I will eat dessert with the little espresso spoons if they have them..

Edited by Daniel (log)