• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thousand-year egg and tofu salad

Kent Wang

Soy sauce, sesame oil, scallion and vinegar... Great!

and beside them I tried to put a very little sugar.

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Chop up a thousand-year egg or two. Add tofu, soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix well.

Any one else make this?

This dish is delicious adding a little sugar and some pork sung "Roh Sung" , it gives it a nice texture and taste balance.

Eating that with a fresh tsong yoh bing is DELISH!

Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth must wait very, very long time. - Old Chinese Proverb

This dish is delicious adding a little sugar and some pork sung "Roh Sung" , it gives it a nice texture and taste balance. 

Colleen: Welcome to eGullet!

Did you mean "Rou Sung"? (Rou is Mandarin for "pork")

Or, what dialect is "Roh"?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Did you mean "Rou Sung"?  (Rou is Mandarin for "pork")

Or, what dialect is "Roh"?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's referring to rou4 song1, the minced and dried pork shreds. And rou4 is Mandarin for any meat, not just pork, right?

I like my pidan dofu salad with soy sauce and cilantro. As far as rou4 song1 is concerned, I've never mixed that in. I do like rou4 song1 mixed with xi1 fan4 (rice porridge). The rou4 song1 soaks up a bit of the porridge moisture creating a nice texture.

Hope my ping ying was good enough.

Leo

Hope my ping ying was good enough.

Leo: Welcome to eGullet!

Your ping ying is probably better than most of ours. :laugh:

Thanks hzrt8w! Actually, I had to look up the ping ying. :biggrin:

I earned Chinese (Mandarin) in Taiwan so it was "Zhuyin Fuhao" aka "Bopomofo". I was born there, but left when I was seven. I spoke Mandarin at home, so I'm pretty fluent verbally. But because I didn't have enough characters memorized, I fall into the functionally illiterate category when it comes to reading and writing Chinese.

I do know the basic characters for meats (pork, beef, fish, etc), but I'm often left with the embarrassing situation asking the waiter to read the Chinese menu item for me, just to confirm what I ordered! Sometimes this works, and sometimes they look at me strange.

I'm glad to be part of eGullet. I've been reading your posts for a long time, and I finally decided to upgrade my membership.

Leo

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's referring to rou4 song1, the minced and dried pork shreds. And rou4 is Mandarin for any meat, not just pork, right?

Yes the word "rou4" itself means any meat. But in Chinese menus, "rou4" by itself (without any specific reference to beef, pork, lamb or other kind of meat) would imply that it is pork. It is due to pork being the most popular kind of meat eaten besides chicken.

I'm glad to be part of eGullet.  I've been reading your posts for a long time, and I finally decided to upgrade my membership.

I am very flattered, Leo. I am glad that you have decided to show your face and interact in this wonderful forum!