• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Want something good to eat in a strange land?

Mayhaw Man

Doh. Answered my own question. Longbranch Thread. Looks like a hell of a place and is getting the recognition it deserves.

Chad

Look, I don't do this often, so you know that I'm not kidding.

If you are going to be here for a few days, or will be perhaps leaving the Fairgrounds early one afternoon, it would be well worth your time to cross the lake and go eat at The Longbranch. You can find some meals that might be very, very good these days, but you won't find any that are better. Hell, just going for soup is worth the trip. I've never had one that didn't leave me wanting more.

And they're nice. What more could you want?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Brooks, you made me cry.

As members of a Society dedicated to the culinary arts ,peopled with good folks, I'd like to extend an eGullet challenge. Cancel your winter vacations to Belize or Epcot or Jackson Hole and go to New Orleans.  Let's do it, please -- show the courage of our convictions and support the renaissance of a great town. Cancel your rez at Alinea or Per Se or French Laundry and do the right thing --  for New Orleans, for food, for the good name of eGullet. I'll be looking at  late February or early March.

I did just that...and I am even sending my daughter down before me..If she finds out I'm going the whole deal will be off... :rolleyes:

probono

"Gentlemen: Madame Dodin-Bouffant."

So, when there is the slightest doubt, Marry the Cook!

Look, I don't do this often, so you know that I'm not kidding.

If you are going to be here for a few days, or will be perhaps leaving the Fairgrounds early one afternoon, it would be well worth your time to cross the lake and go eat at The Longbranch. You can find some meals that might be very, very good these days, but you won't find any that are better. Hell, just going for soup is worth the trip. I've never had one that didn't leave me wanting more.

And they're nice. What more could you want?

I get in on Thursday night for my SFA work weekend; I'm thinking that the Longbranch might be just the answer for dinner.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I get into NOLA on Saturday, February 25th. I'm staying at Maison de Ville. I have four nights to eat. I am not trying to eat New York fancy food. I want to eat New Orleans food.

Four lunches and four dinners.

Where would you go and which should I try/need to reserve now?

And, I will not have a car, so how is/will be the taxi situation?

Thanks.

Bob :unsure:

I get into NOLA on Saturday, February 25th.  I'm staying at Maison de Ville.  I have four nights to eat.  I am not trying to eat New York fancy food.  I want to eat New Orleans food.

Thanks.

Bob  :unsure:

The taxi situation is fine. No problem. Just dial 522-9771 and a friendly United Cab driver will be there shortly.

I had a stupendously good meal at Jacques Imo's last night. I spent most of the evening with Jack as it was his tenth anniversary (I am going to write this up seperately as there is some commanality between what we were both doing 10 years ago and we've been friends a very long time) and he was, well, as ebbulient as a restauranteur can be in Post K New Orleans. It's really hard to get cheerful as all discussions inevitably go back to "the thing" and we just can't get away from it. It's kind of in your face at all times. It was, really, probably the best meal that I have ever had there are one of the three best that I've had since Aug 29.

I'll come up with a decent, doable list for you.

Brooks

I get into NOLA on Saturday, February 25th.  I'm staying at Maison de Ville.  I have four nights to eat.  I am not trying to eat New York fancy food.  I want to eat New Orleans food.

Thanks.

The taxi situation is fine. No problem. Just dial 522-9771 and a friendly United Cab driver will be there shortly.

I had a stupendously good meal at Jacques Imo's last night. I spent most of the evening with Jack as it was his tenth anniversary (I am going to write this up seperately as there is some commanality between what we were both doing 10 years ago and we've been friends a very long time) and he was, well, as ebbulient as a restauranteur can be in Post K New Orleans. It's really hard to get cheerful as all discussions inevitably go back to "the thing" and we just can't get away from it. It's kind of in your face at all times. It was, really, probably the best meal that I have ever had there are one of the three best that I've had since Aug 29.

Brooks

You are a kind and gracious gentleman, Brooks.

Thank you, very much.

bob

Thanks.

Brooks

You are a kind and gracious gentleman, Brooks.

Thank you, very much.

bob

Also, there is a solemn review by Lolis in the new Gourmet.. Great article.

And, John Mariani just referred me to an article in the latest Nations Restaurant News - "New Orleans - Woe's cloud Mardi Gras Outlook"...it isn't up on their website yet, but should be shortly.

bob

• 2 weeks later...

We're all booked for the first week of April. I printed out the nomenu.com list and after moving it into Word and double columning it and shrinking the font, it is still four pages long. I think we'll be able to come up with 20 or so places to eat, no problem. On Brooks' advice, we're not going to rent a car this time (place we're staying at has no parking, so that choice was easy) and instead will put what we would have spent on renting a car towards taxis, spread the wealth around, dontcha know. We are both not handy in the least, and I'm rather clumsy to boot, but I bet the volunteers over at Willie Mae's would like some Hubig pies! Part of the reason we chose this time of year, is our synagogue is alligning with a local one passing out Passover kits or something during that week, so we'll join in on that brigade. And, we'll have to find time to go back to some of our favorites as well... Upperline (got to have a JoAnne fix), CrabbyJack-Imo's (duck po boy, fried oysters, chicken livers, yes I combined 2 names), Parkway (roast beef poboy), Drago's (charbroiled oysters), any snowball places open in April? See y'all soon.

OK, I reviewed THE LIST, this is a first pass through my printout with a highlighter...

Places that are open that we've never been to, so should try to hit this time:*

• Longbranch in Abita Springs, and any of the other places Brooks has made famous (and wants to ferry us to :wink:)
    Herbsaint
    Ralph's on the Park
    Irene's Cuisine
    K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen
    Peristyle
    Morning Call
    Dante's Kitchen
    Casamento's
    Dick & Jenny's
    La Crepe Nanou

Can you believe some of the places we haven't been to yet?

Places we've been to in the past and want to go to again:

• Ye Olde College Inn
    Liuzza's By the Track
    Bayona
    Cafe Du Monde
    Central Grocery (other recommendations for Muffaletta's welcome, I didn't love CG's last time)
    Crabby Jack's
    Bozo's
    Drago's
    Brigtsen's
    Jacques-Imo's
    Upperline

Feel free to make additional suggestions. But we've only been to New Orleans three times in the last 5 years, for a week at a time each. Just can't fit everything in that you want to!

*This list is not in a preference order, just in the order they came up in neighborhood sections on the nomenu list.

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen

If you haven't already tasted it (or if you have :smile: ), call K-Paul's to ensure having the coconut cake when you go.

One of the best pieces of cake I've had in my life.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

You'll definitely want to check the times for some of the places that you want to go. It seems like Liuzza's stops serving at 5p right now.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Rachel,

Parasol's

Really. Parkway is cool and everything, but, well, I'm just saying...

Also, on the upscale dining front GW Fins has been outstanding since the storm. Most dependable fish in town, I think. Lilette has been great (see this months Atlantic, Corby Kummer mentions it in his excellent piece on general recovery in New Orleans-I was one of the "other friends" mentioned in the piece), August is, will be, always is, just marvelous.

I, of course, am good for a ride or two in the fabulous Hurricane Mobile.

B

Rachel,

Parasol's

Really. Parkway is cool and everything, but, well, I'm just saying...

Also, on the upscale dining front GW Fins has been outstanding since the storm. Most dependable fish in town, I think. Lilette has been great (see this months Atlantic, Corby Kummer mentions it in his excellent piece on general recovery in New Orleans-I was one of the "other friends" mentioned in the piece), August is, will be, always is, just marvelous.

I, of course, am good for a ride or two in the fabulous Hurricane Mobile.

B

Thanks for everything, Brooks.

Bob

Thanks for the input, revising lists accordingly, now in alphabetical order:

• Arnaud's
    August
    Casamento's
    Dante's Kitchen
    Dick & Jenny's
    Galatoire's
    GW Fins
    Herbsaint
    Irene's Cuisine
    K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen (get coconut cake)
    La Crepe Nanou
    Lilette
    Morning Call
    Parasol's (lunch, roast beef poboy, gravy cheese fries)
    Peristyle
    Ralph's on the Park
    Longbranch in Abita Springs, and any of the other places Brooks has made famous (and wants to ferry us to :wink:)

Places we've been to in the past and want to go to again:

• Central Grocery (other recommendations for Muffaletta's welcome, I didn't love CG's last time)
    Crabby Jack's
    Drago's
    Jacques-Imo's
    Liuzza's By the Track (lunch, closes at 3 or 5)
    Upperline
    Ye Olde College Inn (maybe, mostly I just want to see their new building)

Since we want to hit Dante's, Peristyle, Lilette, etc., I took off Brigtsen's and Bayona off the revisit list, for now. I love the advice on timing (lunch vs dinner) and ordering, please keep it up! Thanks all.

I don't expect to hit every place you all recommend, but I want to have choices, especially since we'll probably have to be flexible on hours and such.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Parasol's is a neighborhood dive with great roast beef po-boys. I think Parkway is as good and more consistent.

Parasol's also has gravy cheese fries, and that's not a bad thing.

Todd...I am counting down...

Oh Lord, gravy cheese fries!!!!

:biggrin:

Edited by Probono (log)

Parasol's is a neighborhood dive with great roast beef po-boys. I think Parkway is as good and more consistent.

Parasol's also has gravy cheese fries, and that's not a bad thing.

Before 8/29 I would have agreed. No mo. Parasol's is serving a consistently heart stopping product.

And, well, you just can't go wrong with gravy cheese fries.

Besides, I can walk there. Always a plus during Carnival.

I'm trying to get a handle on the status of the Acme in FQ... can't find that branch on the list, unless I'm not looking at the right place.

Appreciate any updates, thanks.

Last I heard, both Acme and Felix's were still closed in the Quarter. This may have changed last week. Some places were hoping to open for Mardi Gras.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Thanks.

Bob, Maison de ville is where we stay as well, either the hotel or cottages. Have you been there before? It's our favorite. We were lucky enough to just switch our jazz Fest reservations from 1st weekend to second, and they could not have been more accomodating. Have a GREAT trip, look forward to your report.