• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Want something good to eat in a strange land?

Mayhaw Man

You would be better off renting a car. A cab, round trip, would easily be over a hundred bucks. It's about an 80 mile round trip from downtown.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

You would be better off renting a car. A cab, round trip, would easily be over a hundred bucks. It's about an 80 mile round trip from downtown.

The way I eat and to have a meal reputed to be better than Besh, I would need to get a cab...and graciously spend the 100.

:wub:

"Gentlemen: Madame Dodin-Bouffant."

So, when there is the slightest doubt, Marry the Cook!

The way I eat and to have a meal reputed to be better than Besh, I would need to get a cab...and graciously spend the 100.

instead of taking a cab, just rent a limo for the trip.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Of course, my plan exactly...just did not want to seem more ostentatious than I am already known to be.. :wub:

Of course, my plan exactly...just did not want to seem more ostentatious than I am already known to be.. :wub:

Good man with a plan.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

You know, it's funny. I wouldn't say that it was better than August, it's entirely in a different kind of league-not skill wise as they are all up on their chops in the extreme, but in thought and attitude. Both places are awesome. They are making food, as is John, that they consider to be really interesting and happily, and they hope that others do to. Even if others were not interested, they would likely be making it anyway, somewhere.

The place is, truly, an experience and one that you aren't likely to forget soon. It's a Louisiana restaurant, run by natives, but they are doing things on another plane and I hope that they keep doing it for a very long time. I love the place-if that's not clear already .

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

You know, it's funny. I wouldn't say that it was better than August, it's entirely in a different kind of league-not skill wise as they are all up on their chops in the extreme, but in thought and attitude. Both places are awesome. They are making food, as is John, that they consider to be really interesting and happily, and they hope that others do to. Even if others were not interested, they would likely be making it anyway, somewhere.

The place is, truly, an experience and one that you aren't likely to forget soon. It's a Louisiana restaurant, run by natives, but they are doing things on another plane and I hope that they keep doing it for a very long time. I love the place-if that's not clear already .

We will be in NO for Jazz Fest, from 28 April to 8 May. Since a business trip to Bay St Louis is in the offing at some point, I haven't made many reservations yet & need to know exactly how necessary reservations are. We're mainly thinking in terms of lunches. Would appreciate any advice you might have. Also are reservations required for lunch at Longbranch? Thanks in advance.

I can tell you, this psycho fat man needs no more encouragement than the review's you and Sara have given Longbranch..but, thank God, taste is subjective otherwise if it ain't that good I would be psychotic indeed. Now let me get to my caviar that came in tonight from some farm raised sturgeon in Ca...shut up Dean, it's in lieu of Longbranch :wink: ..

And now to Abita Springs...and thanks for the wonderful recommendation's..

bob :wub: