• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Want something good to eat in a strange land?

Mayhaw Man

I get into NOLA on Saturday, February 25th.  I'm staying at Maison de Ville.  I have four nights to eat.  I am not trying to eat New York fancy food.  I want to eat New Orleans food.

Four lunches and four dinners.

Where would you go and which should I try/need to reserve now?

And, I will not have a car, so how is/will be the taxi situation?

Thanks.

Bob  :unsure:

Bob, Maison de ville is where we stay as well, either the hotel or cottages. Have you been there before? It's our favorite. We were lucky enough to just switch our jazz Fest reservations from 1st weekend to second, and they could not have been more accomodating. Have a GREAT trip, look forward to your report.

Kim,

Oh my!!! I have been staying in the cottages for years...they just will not be open in time for me tomorrow..April 1st Courtney says...

You know as much as I like to talk I will give you a full report..

Also, I am going to see Dr. John at The House of Blues on Monday night and I wonder if I should eat before I go...I don't have a clue about their food - but, a chain??

Thanks.

Bob :biggrin:

ps.. Molly is going down to Tulane (my daughter) tonight - I'm taking her to the airport after class. Then I am going down tomorrow in disguise. If she sees me there I know it will ruin her trip....

:cool:

"Gentlemen: Madame Dodin-Bouffant."

So, when there is the slightest doubt, Marry the Cook!

Also, I am going to see Dr. John at The House of Blues on Monday night and I wonder if I should eat before I go...I don't have a clue about their food - but, a chain??

Bob, don't waste your time eating at the House of Blues -- not worth it. Plenty of far better options available. Should be a good show, though.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Bob, don't waste your time eating at the House of Blues -- not worth it. Plenty of far better options available. Should be a good show, though.

Thanks, Dean...I thought so...didn't want to go, but I have not seen Dr. J. in a few years..and since I going down to spread some green on my favorite city in the world.......................

Lord have mercy, I had dinner at August and I had the best food I have had since Andre Soltner left Lutece. I have eaten a lot of food in a lot of place - it is my passion in life - and they took it to the edge, with grace and style. I am charmed by August and the fabulous staff - Willie Mae's great granddaughter works there and is a beautiful joy.

This place is really something.

I am crying to see a city I love so much struggling to deal with so many people who belong to it and have no way to come back.

But, I can tell you that the krewe's are putting on an unbelievable show.

And the food is fabulous in all the places that are open, though I must admit I have been spending too much time at the Acme - I polished off 4 dozen at the bar on Saturday - and they are splendid. How am I going back to the WLand.?

The Maison de Ville is as fabulous as ever..breakfast on the porch - a little banjo in the background...and then off to eat, eat, eat.

I think my Viennese wife is having a good time, as well - she just keeps smiling! :wub:

I forgot to mention that my daughter busted me last night when she called at 2:30 am to ask me the number for a cab!! She was leaving the Baccus Ball and said it was absolutely the best time...Michael Keaton was there...Willie Nelson played!!! And even Steven Segal (?) played some kind of instrument..shows what I know..

Edited by Probono (log)

The Blind Boys of Alabama---CNN is showing today, from time to time, in their reporting of Mardi Gras---a very poignant show of the destruction that exists in New Orleans with the Blind Boys singing Amazing Grace. Just in case I, or any of us, can forget for even the slightest moment the unbelievable misery that exists here. From what I can see and hear, no one is counting on 'the government' to do much, if anything about it. :sad::unsure:

OK, so you bugged us for a month.

Where did you go, what did you do, is there any food left?

The game here is that when we help, you have to report back-otherwise, next time, the best thing that you will here about is McDonald's and Applebees.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The game here is that when we help, you have to report back-otherwise, next time, the best thing that you will here about is McDonald's and Applebees.

Hey, I was waiting for your final list.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, If I had my way I would have just stayed at August. The service was outstanding, Willie Mae's great granddaughter, Kerry, was the sweetest, Octavio was fabulous - It was the best food I have eaten since Andre Soltner left Lutece.

John Besh pushes it to the edge and it totally comes off, all of it. It was nothing short of spectacular.

Upperline was closed for the duration as were most of the places close to the quarter and cabs were impossible everywhere.

Domilise's was great, Acme was great - ate a few dozen everyday - Tujague's bar was fun, the food there is the food there. Casamento's was outstanding.

All the places in the quarter were overwhelmed, so commenting on the food would be unfair...Coffee Pot (no grillades)...Cafe du Monde was as always...

Drove over to Lakeview and cried...

Mardi Gras, I know, was a facade this year, but I had to go.

Went by my old house on St. Charles and it has a for sale sign..I am so tempted, I cannot tell you how much I love New Orleans.

I am coming back for JazzFest if I can pull it off...or I may just come down for a few days to really eat this time, when more places are open.

The Maison de Ville is still wonderful, slowly getting open with about 6 or 7 rooms open...The hope to get the cottages open before summer - hope...

Camellia Grill I understand from friends may be taken over by the city, because the owner is having a bit of a tax problem.........

So let's see...Acme, August, Casamento's, Domilise's, Tujague's, Coffee Pot, Arnaud's, because it was close, and the service was wonderful and my wife loved the room - remember we had no car on this trip..and taxi's were ridiculously impossible to get - but back to Arnaud's...had oyster's four ways and they were all fabulous...it's still pretty and the food was good...

I did the best I could, but to give a real report I have to return...in the time that I lived there, I never went into the quarter during Mardi Gras...now I know exactly why. Friends came to visit and said they only came in because I was there..I was touched, but was actually embarrassed that they came...what a mess it was in the quarter..

But, again, I had to come and I did not want to leave, ever!

My daughter who was staying with friends on St. Charles wants to transfer to Tulane..of course, I said I am all for it..

What a truly remarkable city...it is the only home I will ever have in my heart.

Thank you - everyone.

bob :wub:

my wife says i made a couple of mistakes here due to the greyhounds i was drinking...i hope i fixed them..Dr. John was fabulous..packed..there was a wonderfully sweet aroma in the air and everyone was reminiscing...Ah remembering the professor...

the little breakfast on the patio at the maison with the yeasty croissant's and the band playing in the adjoining garden every morning...

and did i mention AUGUST - one of life's great pleasures!!

also, marg reminds me that we had fried frog's legs and some sort of wonderful shrimp and grits at herbsaint and i left a ridiculous tip (no bob, you didn't have meat loaf!! you tried...they were remarkably kind...we left because we were going to august in a few hours..

i will have marg read this again when she returns from work...and i want to go back to herbsaint to try the rest of their menu...i thought it was a neat place...

i fell in love with dawn brown the wwltv weather lady...wow...raleigh??? thanks for trying deano...i still love ya..but the y'ats have it for me - hands down...

sorry i didn't get to meet brooks and todd.. but, after my friends came in and reminded me that they never come to the quarter during 'that' weekend i didn't want to bother you...

Edited by Probono (log)

I'm trying to get a handle on the status of the Acme in FQ... can't find that branch on the list, unless I'm not looking at the right place.

Appreciate any updates, thanks.

Last I heard, both Acme and Felix's were still closed in the Quarter. This may have changed last week. Some places were hoping to open for Mardi Gras.

ACME on Iberville is open and very fine in the Quarter..

bob

Hey, I was waiting for your final list.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, If I had my way I would have just stayed at August. The service was outstanding, Willie Mae's great granddaughter, Kerry, was the sweetest, Octavio was fabulous - It was the best food I have eaten since Andre Soltner left Lutece.

John Besh pushes it to the edge and it totally comes off, all of it. It was nothing short of spectacular.

Upperline was closed for the duration as were most of the places close to the quarter and cabs were impossible everywhere.

Domilise's was great, Acme was great - ate a few dozen everyday - Tujague's bar was fun, the food there is the food there. Casamento's was outstanding.

All the places in the quarter were overwhelmed, so commenting on the food would be unfair...Coffee Pot (no grillades)...Cafe du Monde was as always...

Drove over to Lakeview and cried...

Mardi Gras, I know, was a facade this year, but I had to go.

Went by my old house on St. Charles and it has a for sale sign..I am so tempted, I cannot tell you how much I love New Orleans.

I am coming back for JazzFest if I can pull it off...or I may just come down for a few days to really eat this time, when more places are open.

The Maison de Ville is still wonderful, slowly getting open with about 6 or 7 rooms open...The hope to get the cottages open before summer - hope...

Camellia Grill I understand from friends may be taken over by the city, because the owner is having a bit of a tax problem.........

So let's see...Acme, August, Casamento's, Domilise's, Tujague's, Coffee Pot, Arnaud's, because it was close, and the service was wonderful and my wife loved the room - remember we had no car on this trip..and taxi's were ridiculously impossible to get - but back to Arnaud's...had oyster's four ways and they were all fabulous...it's still pretty and the food was good...

I did the best I could, but to give a real report I have to return...in the time that I lived there, I never went into the quarter during Mardi Gras...now I know exactly why. Friends came to visit and said they only came in because I was there..I was touched, but was actually embarrassed that they came...what a mess it was in the quarter..

But, again, I had to come and I did not want to leave, ever!

My daughter who was staying with friends on St. Charles wants to transfer to Tulane..of course, I said I am all for it..

What a truly remarkable city...it is the only home I will ever have in my heart.

Thank you - everyone.

bob :wub:

my wife says i made a couple of mistakes here due to the greyhounds i was drinking...i hope i fixed them..Dr. John was fabulous..packed..there was a wonderfully sweet aroma in the air and everyone was reminiscing...Ah remembering the professor...

the little breakfast on the patio at the maison with the yeasty croissant's and the band playing in the adjoining garden every morning...

and did i mention AUGUST - one of life's great pleasures!!

also, marg reminds me that we had fried frog's legs and some sort of wonderful shrimp and grits at herbsaint and i left a ridiculous tip (no bob, you didn't have meat loaf!! you tried...they were remarkably kind...we left because we were going to august in a few hours..

i will have marg read this again when she returns from work...and i want to go back to herbsaint to try the rest of their menu...i thought it was a neat place...

i fell in love with dawn brown the wwltv weather lady...wow...raleigh??? thanks for trying deano...i still love ya..but the y'ats have it for me - hands down...

sorry i didn't get to meet brooks and todd.. but, after my friends came in and reminded me that they never come to the quarter during 'that' weekend i didn't want to bother you...

I just watched John Besh on Iron Chef and he did win the show..and he didn't even give them the scallop in cappuccino...most remarkable..as John T says "Besh is the real deal".....well said...

And, I am looking for a quick flight to msy now to go down for one night to see if i need to pinch myself..

Hi

We're in town Friday-Tuesday starting next week, and planning on: August, Drago's (lunch), Longbranch, Herbsaint (lunch), and Jacques Imos, with Acme and du Monde in-between. Still looking for a place for Sunday brunch (I require a great bloody, and he requires no jacket, not too formal), and Sunday dinner, plus some breakfast places (I loved Elizabeth's as it was, but the new menu doesn't look the same..is that the case?). Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Hi

We're in town Friday-Tuesday starting next week, and planning on: August, Drago's (lunch), Longbranch, Herbsaint (lunch), and Jacques Imos, with Acme and du Monde in-between. Still looking for a place for Sunday brunch (I require a great bloody, and he requires no jacket, not too formal), and Sunday dinner, plus some breakfast places (I loved Elizabeth's as it was, but the new menu doesn't look the same..is that the case?). Thanks!

Believe it or not, Antoine's is doing brunch and not suprisingly it is reputed to be really good and a hell of a value. I hope that they keep it up. Come to think of it, I might go on Sunday and I'll let you know. A sport jacket will do it, I think, but really, probably not even needed in out Post-K attired world (think about it-if you lost your house, you lost your suits. No one, ever, evacuates with their nice clothes. Hell, I left in my yard shoes as I thought that I would be back, per usual, in two days or so).

Antoine's Sunday Brunch

Elizabeth's actual menu seems to be different everytime that I go in. I love that, me.

You will, absolutely, love the Longbranch. Please say hello to Alison for me and tell her that I swear that I will call her next week. Really. I mean it this time.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I booked our flight and hotel reservations for April 29- May 2. Jazzfest! Ijava script:emoticon(':biggrin:')'m so excited I can hardly wait. The only other time I've been to New Orleans was Jazzfest 95. We stayed at the Hummmingbird Hotel and Grill. It cost $ 30.00 a night if that gives you an idea of how nice it was. java script:emoticon(':blink:')We had a really good time actually. It was right on St Charles so the trolley went right down the street in front. We went all over the place, took a swamp tour and a steamboat ride and went to a revolving bar overlooking the city. We couldn't afford any fancy places. The mufaletta sandwich at the Napoeon House was my favorite and most memorable dining experience outside of the fairgrounds. When I stupidly ordered a mufaletta sandwich at some cajun inspired place in NY after I got home it was such a disappointment I've never had another one. I've been wanting to get back there since I left. This time we're staying at the Hotel Monteleone. It's going to be a whole different view of New Orleans in so many ways. We'll be arriving Saturday afternoon and go to Jazzfest on Sunday where we'll meet up with a couple of friends coming in from Portland OR and another friend who lives in New Orleans we'll be hanging out together through Sunday and Monday and our primary focus will be food. I want to go to Jacques Imo's and Longbranch and The Napoleon House. What do you think about Galatoire's? Saturday night it will just be my boyfriend and me any ideas for a romantic little dinner and drinks with some low key old time jazz kind of place for music? Has anyone heard anything about the food vendors and whether most of them will be back or not? I'm so happy to just be able to visit and support the local economy to the best of my credit cards ability.

I booked our flight and hotel reservations  for April 29- May 2. Jazzfest! Ijava script:emoticon(':biggrin:')'m so excited I can hardly wait.  The only other time I've been to New Orleans was Jazzfest 95. We stayed at the Hummmingbird Hotel and Grill. It cost $ 30.00 a night if that gives you an idea of how nice it was.  java script:emoticon(':blink:')We had a really good time actually. It was right on St Charles so the trolley went right down the street in front. We went all over the place, took a swamp tour and a steamboat ride and went to a revolving bar overlooking the city. We couldn't afford any fancy places. The mufaletta sandwich at the Napoeon House was my favorite and most memorable dining experience outside of the fairgrounds. When I stupidly ordered a mufaletta sandwich at some cajun inspired place in NY after I got home it was such a disappointment I've never had another one. I've been wanting to get back there since I left. This time we're staying at the Hotel Monteleone. It's going to be a whole different view of New Orleans in so many ways. We'll be arriving Saturday afternoon and go  to Jazzfest on Sunday where we'll meet up with a couple of friends coming in from Portland OR and another friend who lives in New Orleans we'll be hanging out together through Sunday and Monday and our primary focus will be food. I want to go to Jacques Imo's and Longbranch and The Napoleon House. What do you think about Galatoire's?  Saturday night it will just be my boyfriend and me any ideas for a romantic little dinner and drinks with some low key old time jazz kind of place for music? Has anyone heard anything about the food vendors and whether most of them will be back or not? I'm so happy to just be able to visit and support the local economy to the best of my credit cards ability.

Last week I ate at quite a few places..domilise's has a great poboy...acme on iberville (the line moves quickly - i like to sit at the bar and talk to Hollywood Broadway - he is fabulous - the oyster's are very fine)..the best food is at John Besh's August - a short walk from the quarter, and make reservations..about 125 for two, if you have fun - the food is really remarkable...but, then i am an eccentric psycho who just happens to have a serious thing for food...

galatoire's for lunch used to be a favorite thing of mine when i lived there - stayed all afternoon, but i did not go this time...i am sure it is still wonderful..todd and mayhaw will tell you everything, fer sure..

bob

Has anyone heard anything about the food vendors and whether most of them will be back or not? I'm so happy to just be able to visit and support the local economy to the best of my credit cards ability.

The vendors should be back strong. I have confirmation that many of the old favorites will return.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Hey, I'll check out Antoine's. We're trying to save a little money and thus are staying at the Quality Inn instead of our usual International House...anyone stayed at the QI and can vouch that it's clean etc?

Edited by sara (log)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Hey, I'll check out Antoine's. We're trying to save a little money and thus are staying at the Quality Inn instead of our usual International House...anyone stayed at the QI and can vouch that it's clean etc?

If you miss August, you will miss a great experience.

bob

We're going to August--just trying to concentrate our spending on the restaurants rather than hotels.

-- William Grimes

We're going to August--just trying to concentrate our spending on the restaurants rather than hotels.

You are in for a treat, Sara. Turn them loose at August. Make sure you meet Kerrie, Willie May Seaton's great granddaughter (Scotch House)..she is lovely and so friendly.

Also, Allen Tousaint is going to be at 'the festival' so that will be a treat, as well.

And, the oyster's at Acme - lacking in ozmazome, I think I could eat them forever. Ask Broadway who holds the record at Acme.

:wub:

My husband and I ate at August Friday night, and Longbranch Saturday night. We'll post a report when we return home, but in the meantime, for anyone considering a trip to New Orleans; a) Do It. Absolutely. Do not pass go, book that trip; b) Rent a car. It's worth every penny on this trip, that way you can get out and see the neighborhoods AND you can get to Longbranch; c) Book a reservation at Longbranch immediately. Then get one at August. Yes, do both. You'll drop about $100/person on each meal (if you tip generously, as you'll want to), and it's worth it.

IMO at this moment, I'm putting Alison and Slade's cooking at Longbranch a full pace ahead of August's. More details to follow, but let me say there was ample room for comparison as the menus at the moment contain some similar dishes, but the sauces at Longbranch are deeper and richer, the foie gras heads and shoulders above, the wine list more interesting and better-priced, and the service more attentive and the servers more personable. None of that is a put-down to August which is a great restaurant in its own right. But young Alison across the Lake is giving Besh a real run for his money!

-- William Grimes

My husband and I ate at August Friday night, and Longbranch Saturday night. We'll post a report when we return home, but in the meantime, for anyone considering a trip to New Orleans; a) Do It. Absolutely. Do not pass go, book that trip; b) Rent a car. It's worth every penny on this trip, that way you can get out and see the neighborhoods AND you can get to Longbranch; c) Book a reservation at Longbranch immediately. Then get one at August. Yes, do both. You'll drop about $100/person on each meal (if you tip generously, as you'll want to), and it's worth it.

IMO at this moment, I'm putting Alison and Slade's cooking at Longbranch a full pace ahead of August's. More details to follow, but let me say there was ample room for comparison as the menus at the moment contain some similar dishes, but the sauces at Longbranch are deeper and richer, the foie gras heads and shoulders above, the wine list more interesting and better-priced, and the service more attentive and the servers more personable. None of that is a put-down to August which is a great restaurant in its own right. But young Alison across the Lake is giving Besh a real run for his money!

Sara,

Thanks for the great news...Now I have about a dozen reasons to get back down in a few weeks. I will have to have dinner at Longbranch and August to do my own comparison, but I am really excited when you give a full notch better than August. It must be fabulous. I just didn't have a car because of Mardi Gras it just wouldn't do.

But I left Drago's, Longbranch and a few other places undone..

Thanks, Sara.

bob

Some pictures from last weekend's trip to give you a sense of what the city looks like these days.

St. Bernard's Parish:

gallery_7404_2695_51730.jpg

gallery_7404_2695_111558.jpg

Lower Ninth:

gallery_7404_2695_17266.jpg

A guy sleeping on the steps of a shut-down Emeril's...

gallery_7404_2695_34155.jpg

-- William Grimes

I have also just returned from a week split between New orleans and Houma. We ate at Herbsaint and Lillet(I've cooked with Donald and John before), apps at Emerils, and RioMar. The next day Martinique(my friend i was with owns the place). It was a Monday and was surprised at all of the places closed that night(August, Peristyle, Alberti's, etc.) In Houma, we ate at Christiano's annd the Y-Bar(both owned by my same friend) as well as great crawfish(5$/4 lb order) and perfect oysters at 1921. The young chef at Christiano's is really pushing the envelope especially for Houma(ex. a bruschetta of gorganzola, dried figs, and white chocolate), and at Y-bar on Wed. nites a nother young chef puts out a 7 choices "tapas" style menu thats really progressive and yet fits well with the wine bar.

My friend participated in animal rescue immediately after the storm and took me thru the neighborhoods. Seeing it live and up close, i can't even begin to describe the devastation, the vastness. Leaving the Bywater, going over the bridge and looking back at a birdseye view is a mental snapshot i wont ever forget.

I forgot to add that we also spent some time at Mimi's(a bar) in the Marigny.

Edited by Timh (log)

I have also just returned from a week split between New orleans and Houma. We ate at Herbsaint and Lillet(I've cooked with Donald and John before), apps at Emerils, and RioMar. The next day Martinique(my friend i was with owns the place). It was a Monday and was surprised at all of the places closed that night(August, Peristyle, Alberti's, etc.) In Houma, we ate at Christiano's annd the Y-Bar(both owned by my same friend) as well as great crawfish(5$/4 lb order) and perfect oysters at 1921. The young chef at Christiano's is really pushing the envelope especially for Houma(ex. a bruschetta of gorganzola, dried figs, and white chocolate), and at Y-bar on Wed. nites a nother young chef puts out a 7 choices "tapas" style menu thats really progressive and yet fits well with the wine bar.

My friend participated in animal rescue immediately after the storm and took me thru the neighborhoods. Seeing it live and up close, i can't even begin to describe the devastation, the vastness. Leaving the Bywater, going over the bridge and looking back at a birdseye view is a mental snapshot i wont ever forget.

I forgot to add that we also spent some time at Mimi's(a bar) in the Marigny.

Oh my Lord, Tim...

This is a wonderful description..After my rather locked down trip during Mardi Gras.(.oh well, Dr. J brought the house down, as usual - and, ah the aroma)..I realize from you and Sara..that I really must go quickly back..

That bruschetta blows me away..and Sara giving Longbranch and up above August..well, thanks...I am starving, but then I live in Raleigh (I know Deano, we have a couple...shut up)

The husband speaketh: My appetizer at August was stellar: P&J Oysters (3 ways): crispy fried with Louisiana caviar (fish roe) "ranch dressing;" pepper seared with country ham and truffle spoon bread; horseradish crusted. The rest of the meal was very good.

The meal at Longbranch was spectacular. One of the best I've had in the past year. For an appetizer, I ordered the Blue Crab Stuffed Tomato, Creole Remoulade, Avocado Mousse. But my wife's appetizer stole the show: Salt Cured Foie Gras, Louisiana Strawberry Jam, Warm Country Biscuit. Allison and Slade's foie gras is the finest I've ever eaten. For an entree, I ordered the Smoked Pepper Dusted Filet of Beef, Parsley Potato Confit, Shallot Sauce. Perfectly cooked, lean, delicious. And the desserts--also made in house--were wonderful.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

The husband speaketh: My appetizer at August was stellar: P&J Oysters (3 ways): crispy fried with Louisiana caviar (fish roe) "ranch dressing;" pepper seared with country ham and truffle spoon bread; horseradish crusted. The rest of the meal was very good.

The meal at Longbranch was spectacular. One of the best I've had in the past year. For an appetizer, I ordered the Blue Crab Stuffed Tomato, Creole Remoulade, Avocado Mousse. But my wife's appetizer stole the show: Salt Cured Foie Gras, Louisiana Strawberry Jam, Warm Country Biscuit. Allison and Slade's foie gras is the finest I've ever eaten. For an entree, I ordered the Smoked Pepper Dusted Filet of Beef, Parsley Potato Confit, Shallot Sauce. Perfectly cooked, lean, delicious. And the desserts--also made in house--were wonderful.

Well, I cannot wait to get to Longbranch, as well as, to the many other places I was forced to miss durning the wonderful Mardi Gras madness. I had never seen the wild Mardi Gras before and as an old guy interested more in food and wine at this stage of my life, I won't be going back to that again.

As for the dinner at August, I don't think I ordered anything, I just left it up to the kitchen to do their thing for me and every single thing was spectacular.

To quote one of my favorite wine writer's, which will certainly date me ...the great Edmund Penning Roswell when questioned about a wine he waxed poetically about , by a reader who said she didn't agree with him - simply replied, "Madam, on the night it was right!"

bob