• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan Menu

John DePaula

Hey Chef D -

Since it's New Years, why not try a vegan "Hoppin' John"?  This recipe looks serviceable.  If I were to try it, though, I'd probably substitute a nice rich vegatable stock for the water as cooking liquid.  Or use that vegetable bullion you mentioned.  But it's so easy to make vegetable stock - quick, too.

Very timely! I went to a vegetarian potluck yesterday and made exactly [well, almost] this same dish. Being from the South, I added cabbage during the final cooking stages. Blackeyed Peas & Cabbage on New Year's Day for Luck & Money in the new year!

P.S. -- I *did* use that vegetable bouillon.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

About protein... I've often used this product called 'Quorn Grounds' (Quorn Web Site) for dishes that traditionally use ground beef.  It's made from mushrooms, as I recall, and is pretty close to taste/texture of ground beef.  It works best with highly spiced recipes such as mexican food.  One thing, though, I don't like having it two days in a row...

John, Quorn is made with eggs and milk (besides the mushroomy stuff), so it's not suitable for vegans.

About protein... I've often used this product called 'Quorn Grounds' (Quorn Web Site) for dishes that traditionally use ground beef.  It's made from mushrooms, as I recall, and is pretty close to taste/texture of ground beef.  It works best with highly spiced recipes such as mexican food.  One thing, though, I don't like having it two days in a row...

John, Quorn is made with eggs and milk (besides the mushroomy stuff), so it's not suitable for vegans.

Even the Quorn Grounds? I'll have to check that package again. Thanks for the heads-up.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Hi all -- I'm getting alot of good ideas from this thread, and have one to share...

For fun and delicious vegan recipes, many geared to celebrations/special occasions, I highly recommend THE VOLUPTUOUS VEGAN by Myra Kornfeld. I bought it solely on the title, since it's so great; I was looking for a change from the often-ascetic approach of other veg/vegan cookbooks. I have alot of cookbooks, of many types/themes, vegan/nonvegan, and it's truly one of the all-around best -- recipes that work, great ideas, easy to follow and yummy food.

From it I recommend the Ginger-baked Tofu, quinoa-millet pilaf, Colombian Black Bean Soup and Gingerbread with blood-orange sauce.

As a new member of eG I'm not yet sure of how extensive people get about posting recipes, but I'd be happy to share a few here or in the appropriate thread.

shining life

Shining Life:

Welcome to eGullet!!!

As to your question, copyrights are respected here, so you are welcome to use the Personal Message system to drop copies of recipes from the book you cite in the mailbox of the member who requested help, or just give a general sense of the dishes you strongly recommend and see if the author of this thread contacts you for further information.

Feel free to post anything you create yourself, or a family recipe that isn't published. There's something called Recipe Gullet where members are encouraged to enter such recipes; Ruthcooks would be the best person to contact should you have further questions.

Policy issues are addressed at the bottom of the eGullet board.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath