• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants might be our one saving grace

Mayhaw Man

This is a very nice piece that appeared in Wednesday's Living section. It has scenes from all over town, including at least two that I was present for-the scene at Parkway and the dinner at Lillette with Ann Cashion.

What he gets right, among the many things that he seems to always get right, is that this is a place that, literally, lives to eat. We are a city, all up and down the socioeconomic spectrum, in which food is almost always at the center of all celebrations-but not really the focus of it-it's just generally accepted that when you have something fun to do, well, good food will just be a part of it. Going to a festival, a kids birthday party, or a street party does not meant that your choices will be limited to (or even include, most of the time) the usual stuff that most folks in the US see at these kinds of events-no funnel cakes, no hot dogs, no burgers, none of that stuff. We'll have jambalaya, gumbo, fish po-boys, etouffee, grilled oysters, half shells, etc. It's a given. I mean, hell, if you are inviting everyone over, why not feed them well? They would (and will) do the same for you.

New Orleans eats while Rome burns-because it's just what we do.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This is a very nice piece that appeared in Wednesday's Living section. It has scenes from all over town, including at least two that I was present for-the scene at Parkway and the dinner at Lillette with Ann Cashion.

What he gets right, among the many things that he seems to always get right, is that this is a place that, literally, lives to eat. We are a city, all up and down the socioeconomic spectrum, in which food is almost always at the center of all celebrations-but not really the focus of it-it's just generally accepted that when you have something fun to do, well, good food will just be a part of it. Going to a festival, a kids birthday party, or a street party does not meant that your choices will be limited to (or even include, most of the time) the usual stuff that  most folks in the US see at these kinds of events-no funnel cakes, no hot dogs, no burgers, none of that stuff. We'll have jambalaya, gumbo, fish po-boys, etouffee, grilled oysters, half shells, etc. It's a given. I mean, hell, if you are inviting everyone over, why not feed them well. They would (and will) do the same for you.

New Orleans eats while Rome burns-because it's just what we do.

Wonderful article. It has always been my philosophy, and my parents philosophy before mine, and heck my grandparents philosophy before them:

"If we don't have anything else, we still eat good!"

Always been a point of pride. I am proud of you guys.

:biggrin:

I was also pleased to see our friend, Joanne Clevenger quoted in the piece.

Actually, now that you mention it, if you really want to see her quoted, watch this discussion- I should say, that in all honesty, a number of us were sitting on one hand with the other all the way in our mouths trying to keep from getting angry and yelling. This was mid October and many of us had not even seen our houses yet, or conversely, had not left the fity as we were working. Either way, we all behaved like Southern ladies and gentlemen until we got out on the steps, where about ten of us engaged in one of the mnore interesting conversations about all of this crap that I have been involved in to date. Many people are of the opinion that RW Apple is a pompous ass, and some of that may be true, but I have to say that he is a true lover of New Orleans, a realist, and a hell of an interesting guy to talk to-that day on the steps he made a number of predictions that have, absolutely, come to pass and many of them were not so obvious to those of us there that day, proudly wearing hearts on our sleeves and chips on our shoulders.

You have to go to Symposium Retro. and click on the photo of the panelists which includes JoAnn Clevenger, Lolis Elie, RW Apple, and John Besh

I'm leaving this here for a bit and I will come back and get the direct link when the damned website is working correctly. It might be me, but I think that it's the website and school's out, so I don't know sif it will be fixed tonight or not. Either way, if you are interested in the subject, it's worth watching when you can.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

i didn't know where to put this so I flipped a coin and this thread won. My friend, Eddie, who lives in New Orleans sent this to me.

Churches Destroyed in Hurricane

> > >

> > > An interviewer from a Boston affiliate taped her questions to a South Louisiana woman. She asked the interviewee, "How did such total and complete devastation of the churches in the area

affect their lives?" The woman replied," I don't know about all those other people but we get our chicken from Popeye's". They showed the interview on South Louisiana stations because the look on the interviewer's face was priceless.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!