• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dennis77

The All All-Clad Cookware Topic

Quite reasonable appraisal, Will.

I should fess up that I am very long at this cooking game. Been putting dinner on the table 365/year for 50 years. Thin cookware has my anathema since I began. I hate disk bottom cookware. All-clad has been an epiphany. For the first time in my trials, I caramelize sugar with my eyes closed, add cream and turn our caramels or go on to sauces and ice creams. Make fast reduction sauces. Stove top or oven braise. Saute up some veggies or seafood, deglase and reduce and turn out a spectacular pasta sauce. And the list goes on. Yes, I hate the inside rivets, but, heck, these pots belong to me. If I condone a bit of smutch around them, I only have myself to answer to.

Perhaps the subject of another thread, but don't overlook tag sales, flea markets and other second tier market sources.

IMHO, All-clad? Go for it!

Another big difference between the two is that All-Clad has riveted handles, whereas Sitram has welded ones. Some advantages and drawbacks to each.

Hi,

A few years ago there was an infomercial for some waterless cookware which used welded handles. The "chef" proclaimed that the welded handles eliminated the problem of those pesky rivet falling into the food you were cooking.

Tim

All-Clad non-stick works well. I have the All-Clad 4 space waffle maker with non-stick parts - the batter has never stuck and I never had to butter the grittle. I was surprised just how well the thing works and clean up is me wetting a paper towel and going over the grittle when done. And I put chocolate chips ontop of the batter once I pour it in - the 1 or 2 chips left come off very easily.  

I also have the All-Clad pancake grittle for the top of the stove that is non-stick. Works great and I've had it for 5 years.

Edited by Transit98 (log)