• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The All All-Clad Cookware Topic

dennis77

I bought an All-Clad roasting pan last night and now I'm trying to figure out if that was a good thing -- it's carried exclusively through Williams Sonoma and has sloped sides . . .

Did I do good or bad?  I don't know anything about roasting pans -- I'm upgrading from the aluminum buckets they sell at the grocery store . . .

All Clad Roaster

This is the new "turkey" roaster All Clad has. I happen to have two of them, and frankly, I love them! I did my thanksgiving turkey in this and I recently roasted two chickens in it as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Hi,

Williams-Sonoma's video on roasting a turkey in their "exclusive" All-Clad roaster is priceless. The cook removes the turkey from the pan which is strangely clean, like off the shelf clean. No fats, no fond, no brown bits...

Tim

While the subject's come up and I'm thinking about it again, can anyone explain why the bottom of of the AC roti pan slopes away from the center as it does? there must be a reason, but damn if I know what it is.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Marlene!

If you don't mind, tell me more. I actually bought this pan because of a huge gravy study being done in my house . . . never owned a roasting pan of any sort before, just used the Pyrex 9 by 13 or the sheet pan or the tinfoil crap.

I own mostly All Clad pans, so I thought, why not, and I was going for their regular roaster -- had already bought it at another store -- and the low sides seemed right as well as the not non-stick rack. I have a bird and I can't have non-stick.

I bought large (as opposed to extra large). Spent today trying to read up on roasting pans, found out that the low sides are a good idea, that the rack doesn't matter much really, and the clad is good (regular roaster not clad).

What about pouring from it? Easy to pour with the sloped sides? I figure I can at least try that out with water and still return it.

I liked the way the handles flare out because of the slope -- for some reason almost all roasting pans follow that weird design where the handles point IN, what's up with that?

What else do you use it for? Seems like a boss vegetable roasting pan to me.

Thank you for your help -- it's more than I wanted to spend, but I'd rather buy just the one and get buried with it . . .

:laugh:

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I also have the large. I use the rack when doing chicken and turkey. It gets it up off the floor of the roaster. The low sides are great for roasting poultry. I used to do chickens in a skillet in the oven, and I like this pan much better.

I have their other roasters and use them all the time as well for beef pork roast and ham, but I think this one will work just fine for any roast you choose.

I found it easy to pour the gravy out of the pan into the server.

I've only had mine for a couple of months so I haven't had a chance to use it for anything else, but I think roast veggies and or potatoes would work pretty well.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 4 months later...
If you've always wanted a lid for the 12" frying pan and also want an All Clad nonstick 12" pan, you can get both for $99 at Williams-Sonoma.

or 89.00 if you're a profesional chef( or have aculinary business card).

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Macy's is having their annual Friends and Family sale through May 4th - unlike most of their "sales" All-Clad is not restricted so you can get 25% off.

Are you sure about that? I just looked on the website and the All-Clad stuff was not on sale.

Macy's is having their annual Friends and Family sale through May 4th - unlike most of their "sales" All-Clad is not restricted so you can get 25% off.

Are you sure about that? I just looked on the website and the All-Clad stuff was not on sale.

Yes. I didn't buy anything online, but the online code is MACYSFF - you probably won't see the discount until you enter that code at checkout.

FWIW, I think the Macy's $419 7 pc starter set is a pretty good deal on it's own (it also includes the bonus dutch oven that you get immediately and an au gratin dish by mail) but with 25% off it's even better. I started my All-Clad collection with that and then added other pieces.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Yes. I didn't buy anything online, but the online code is MACYSFF - you probably won't see the discount until you enter that code at checkout.

FWIW, I think the Macy's $419 7 pc starter set is a pretty good deal on it's own (it also includes the bonus dutch oven that you get immediately and an au gratin dish by mail) but with 25% off it's even better. I started my All-Clad collection with that and then added other pieces.

Can you wash all clad in the dishwasher?

You can wash All-Clad Stainless in the dishwasher, not (as far as I know) the other lines. Perhaps you can wash the Copper Core line, if you don't mind the tarnish on the exposed copper.

I will point out, however, that in my experience there is no way that a dishwasher gets even the Stainless line as clean as a good scouring with Bar Keeper's Friend. Not that this keeps me from tossing my All-Clad Stainless saucepans (I have several of the 1 qt ones) into the dishwasher, of course, but when I want them really sparkling clean and shiny I always end up scrubbing them out with BKF. I've also noticed some minor pitting of the stainless steel of these saucepans since I got a dishwasher around a year and a half ago.

--

I use the dishwasher with mine, even my copper core since I don't mind the tarnish (that thin band of copper is pretty tough to keep shiny--I gave up long ago). Like slkinsey says though, they need a good manual scrubbing every couple of cycles.

nunc est bibendum...

Can you wash all clad in the dishwasher?

John,

You may also wash All-Clad MC-2 in the dishwasher. Depending on your dishwasher it will look great or somewhat streaked on the outside. The aluminum needs a periodic scrub if you are meticulous about the looks.

Tim

Yes.  I didn't buy anything online, but the online code is MACYSFF  - you probably won't see the discount until you enter that code at checkout.

FWIW, I think the Macy's $419 7 pc starter set is a pretty good deal on it's own (it also includes the bonus dutch oven that you get immediately and an au gratin dish by mail) but with 25% off it's even better.  I started my All-Clad collection with that and then added other pieces.

As an All-Clad retailer myself, I think you cannot be right. Unless someone has actually completed a sale (online) I don't think it will work. Let me know if I am wrong, as I can then ask for permission to offer the same discount from All-Clad too.

Yes.  I didn't buy anything online, but the online code is MACYSFF  - you probably won't see the discount until you enter that code at checkout.

FWIW, I think the Macy's $419 7 pc starter set is a pretty good deal on it's own (it also includes the bonus dutch oven that you get immediately and an au gratin dish by mail) but with 25% off it's even better.  I started my All-Clad collection with that and then added other pieces.

As an All-Clad retailer myself, I think you cannot be right. Unless someone has actually completed a sale (online) I don't think it will work. Let me know if I am wrong, as I can then ask for permission to offer the same discount from All-Clad too.

I did buy an All-Clad piece in the store and did get the discount. But the coupon clearly gives instructions on how to use online and does not restrict All-Clad (or most of the other brands that normally get restricted).

macysff.jpg

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

I had the 7 piece set in my shopping cart and the code took off the 25% and free shipping. I meant to complete the purchase, but my Brother in law passed away suddenly and I didnt get back to it until Tuesday, which was too late( total bummer). I called Macy's online, but they couldnt help me because I wasnt signed in when I added the item to my cart. Please post if they ever do this discount again.

There is a 7 piece set at cookware.com for 288 and change. Its the MC2 line which is on sale. The pieces are not as good( for me anyway) as the set at Macy's.

Thanks for that information. It confirms my view that vendors have no scruples and are turning a blind eye to discounting that is undermining the existence of the independent retailer. Good for you that you got such a bargain!

Thanks for that information. It confirms my view that vendors have no scruples and are turning a blind eye to discounting that is undermining the existence of the independent retailer. Good for you that you got such a bargain!

Well, truth be told, it's technically illegal for a vendor to attempt to fix pricing and dictate what a retailer can charge. So I guess you have to decide which scruple you'd rather have the vendor violate: The one where you were given to understand that their products are price protected, or the one where they attempt to protect the price when they aren't supposed to. :rolleyes:

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just got a AC Stainless fry pan and have a couple questions/issues.

1. I have white marks all over the pan I'm guessing from the salt on the chicken breasts I just cooked.

I saw you were supposed to bring liquid to a boil before adding salt, but how does that work when frying or sauteing?

So, is there any way to remove the white blobs from the salt or am I stuck with them? And how are you supposed to use the pan without having that happen, are you just not supposed to use salt on meats if you're frying in stainless?

First nice pan and it's already screwed up, at least aethetically. Kinda pissed at the moment so I'd appreciate any insight into preventing the problem from happening again and if there are any remedies for salt spots.

If you plan on this being a working pan, you are going to have to resign yourself to the fact that it is not going to retain that flawless mirror finish.

A minor amount of elbow grease and some Bar Keeper's Friend will get anything off that pan.

--

If you plan on this being a working pan, you are going to have to resign yourself to the fact that it is not going to retain that flawless mirror finish.

A minor amount of elbow grease and some Bar Keeper's Friend will get anything off that pan.

Ya it's going to be a workhorse and I don't need the mirror finish. I was just surprised to see a bunch of white stains after its first use.

Do you have any recommendations when dealing with meats to avoid the salt stain, or is it something I just shouldn't worry about?

Well, truth be told, it's technically illegal for a vendor to attempt to fix pricing and dictate what a retailer can charge.  So I guess you have to decide which scruple you'd rather have the vendor violate:  The one where you were given to understand that their products are price protected, or the one where they attempt to protect the price when they aren't supposed to.   :rolleyes:

Truth be told, the Supreme Court ruled on a manufacturer's right to enforce minimum prices on its own products.

In the case, Leegin Creative Leather Products Inc., a maker of women's purses and accessories, was sued by Kay's Kloset, a Dallas retailer, after Leegin cut off shipments to Kay's.

The high court's June 2007 decision, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, declared that minimum-pricing pacts between manufacturers and retailers could benefit customers under certain circumstances. For instance, the pacts could foster competition by giving retailers enough profit to promote a brand or offer better service, Justice Kennedy wrote. Individual price-setting agreements should be examined on a case-by-case basis, the ruling said, to be sure they're not anticompetitive.

Edited by Tony Boulton (log)

...A minor amount of elbow grease and some Bar Keeper's Friend will get anything off that pan.

Well ... if you work at it a little, you can keep an amazing finish on polished stainless after the second, third and hundredth use. Use Brasso or Noxon polishes after every time you use the pan. A little elbow grease and those types of polishes will do a great deal to keep a near new look. I am guessing it has something to do with the ammonia in them. I've never found anything that will do as good a good job on stainless.

I have become a fool about my newish polished stainless pans. I never thought I would put any value in having items in the kitchen look good, but I got seduced by a mirror polish, People have asked how on earth I keep my pans looking new. When I tell them they are used constantly, I encounter skepticism till I show them the markings on the bottom of the pan from being shuffled on the stove. I don't use metal tools inside the pans so the insides don't get scratched, and the polish takes care of the shine and stains like you are encountering.

There are other polishes that will do as well, but I don't know all the brand names.

Edited by cbread (log)