• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sheet gelatin in San Francisco?

Stu-i-moto

Anyone know where I can buy sheet gelatin in San Francisco or surrounding areas? This is a very common restaurant staple, but impossible to find in retail stores (so I have found).

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

I have been able to get them from Spun Sugar in Berkeley before.

Thanks - I called Spun Sugar, and they did have the gelatin, but I also asked for a recommendation that was closer to [my] home, and found Sugar 'n Spice in Daly City. They might be the only two stores around that sell this stuff.

My attempts to emulate Thomas Keller will not be in vain...

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

I've been wondering about Sugar 'n Spice myself. I drive by often but has yet to stop by. Have you visited the store? Do they have a lot of candy making supplies? I'm in SF as well but made trips to Spun Sugar because I have yet to find something closer for what I need. I like to hear your impression of Sugar 'n Spice.

I've been wondering about Sugar 'n Spice myself. I drive by often but has yet to stop by. Have you visited the store? Do they have a lot of candy making supplies? I'm in SF as well but made trips to Spun Sugar because I have yet to find something closer for what I need. I like to hear your impression of Sugar 'n Spice.

There has been some discussion of it recently on craigslist. It sounds like a great store.

http://forums.craigslist.org/?ID=36798411

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm not into candy making or confectionary, but my wife used to teach cake decorating and she really likes Sugar 'n Spice (it used to be located out in the avenues a number of years ago).

I'd say it's at least worth a trip to check and see if they have what you need. They did have a wide selection of things.

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

i would have to say that sugar 'n spice is decent. now that i live in new york, it is comparable to new york cake and baking. the supplies are definitely along the "wilton school" line. the store is a little disorganized and some of the product looks a little old and dusty. the service also leaves a lot to be desired...but at the same time, they have some of the things you are looking for that you just can't find anywhere else.

i would have to say that sugar 'n spice is decent.  now that i live in new york, it is comparable to new york cake and baking.  the supplies are definitely along the "wilton school" line.  the store is a little disorganized and some of the product looks a little old and dusty.  the service also leaves a lot to be desired...but at the same time, they have some of the things you are looking for that you just can't find anywhere else.

that seems an accurate description from my limited experience (1 visit) -

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

Isn't it required of a store specializing in cake decorating/candymaking supplies that it be disorganized and dusty?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I made a visit to Sugar n' Spice today. My impression is that it's more a baking place than a candy place. The candy/chocolate supplies it carries is somewhat limited. When I asked for woman, I think she's the owner, about E. Guittard chocolate disk, she was a little puzzled. I told her I'm looking for the 72% bittersweet chocolate, she told me that only people who are really serious in chocolate get something that dark and most people don't like it. I thought that's a very strange comment. (Maybe it's just me... :huh: ) I was able to pick up a few things, but wasn't able to find too much. I'll probably go back for basic or bakig items. For candy/chocolate supplies, I'll stick to Spun Sugar and online.