• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in the Marais

cigalechanta

I had to cancel Restaurants. May need the money for cab fares. Going alone at the beginning of February but I recently have been housebound with a bad bout of asteo-arthritis so hopefully it will lighten up by that time. Luckily, I'll be staying in the Marais and there are things to fill my time , lots of museums and shops so that If walking is uncomfortable, it will be not bad. I'll taxi to homes I'll be lunching at.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

I had to cancel Restaurants.  May need the money for cab fares. Going alone at the beginning of February but I recently have been housebound with a bad bout of asteo-arthritis so hopefully it will lighten up by that time. Luckily, I'll be staying in the Marais and there are things to fill my time , lots of museums and shops so that If walking is uncomfortable, it will be not bad. I'll taxi to homes I'll be lunching at.

so many lurkers, so few responses(sigh)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

My absolute favorite falafel joint is in the Marais: L'as du Falafel on rue des rosiers. It's run by a load of great israeli guys. Service is brisk, but competent. They do wonderful things with eggplant (even in a falafel). A long time ago we used to have to scream at them to bring us tap water, but it's gotten better recently. It's very near the Picasso museum too. Good for lunch.

I promise I'll post you more places tomorrow. Mostly cause you're from Cambridge and I recently moved there (here?) :biggrin: .

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

My absolute favorite falafel joint is in the Marais: L'as du Falafel on rue des rosiers.  It's run by a load of great israeli guys.  Service is brisk, but competent.  They do wonderful things with eggplant (even in a falafel).  A long time ago we used to have to scream at them to bring us tap water, but it's gotten better recently.  It's very near the Picasso museum too.  Good for lunch.

Used to love this place. Happy to hear it hasn't changed. Macabee (sp?) beer is probably a better bet than tap water.

We liked - Le Pamphlet - 3rd - This was a nice find, as we were pointed to this lovely restaurant by way of a Parisian gallery owner, A 30 euro 3 course dinner, served with a platter of charcuterie as a starter, really shined. Nice wine list, good service, nice neighborhood, and 5 minutes from our apartment - who knew?!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Because I just can't help myself, I'm back for more lunch ideas.

Finkelsztajn for all things cheesecake or Vatrouchka also on rue des Rosiers.

I've never been able to decide if I love La Tartine on rue de Rivoli or not, but it is the oldest wine bar in Paris. It has a nice wine selection by the glass (but of course) including some beaujoulais and bordeaux not easily found by the glass stateside.

Tomorrow I'll bring you seafood, regional and basque dinner choices.

The 4th Arr. is chock full of good restaurants. If you could narrow down your parameters a bit, I could offer a few choices. Lunch, dinner, high end, bistro, snack, cafe, what are you looking for?

Just for starters, my favorite place in the 4th is Le Dome du Marais, 53 rue des Francs-Bourgeois. A stunning space in an old chapel, try for the room with the giant glass skylight, it's wonderful. Food is creative and flavorful. A lovely experience, price approx 50-60E PP with wine.

I don't know my way around but I'll be staying at a hotel on the rue Vielle du temple, Caren du Beaumarchais.

Thanks to all the suggestions.

I don't know my way around but I'll be staying at a hotel on the rue  Vielle du temple, Caren du Beaumarchais.

I would second the Dome de Marais, which is very close to your hotel but also suggest that Mon Vieil Ami, about much has been written elsewhere on the Forum, is but 500-600 meters from your hotel. I would counsel you against going to Benoit, despite its proximity, unless you don't mind paying double the food's value. If your mobility permits, a hike across to the 11th will reveal a ton of great and/or new places. Have a good visit.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I third Dome de Marais.

There's also Bofinger, which is quite famous, but too pricey for your ROI. Le Bistro de Bofinger (both on rue de la Bastille) is the less costly sister resto across the way. For Basque food there's always Au Bascou on rue Réaumur, which is also mentioned on this board.

M. Talbot has actually suggested places closer to yuor hotel. Mine aren't quite as close.

Anyway, happy stay in Paris!

John, have you ever been to Baracane on Rue des Tournelles? Baracane

I wanted to go here on my last trip, but we did not make reservations. I love food from the southwest of France, and Baracane's cassoulet is rumored to be very good. Their set menu prices are not too bad.

While a bit of a walk from your hotel Cigalechante, you will get to go through the lovely Place du Voges. We have rented an apartment on Rue de Birague (runs from the Place du Voges to Rue Sant Antoine) on our last two trips, and I love the area.

John, have you ever been to Baracane on Rue des Tournelles? 

Not since June 10th, 1992 and my notes are in deep, deep storage, so the report is surely useless at this point. But since I've never been back, I was (1) unimpressed, (2) distracted or (3) showing early signs of brain rot.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks everyone of you who responded. Lucky me had notes on most mentioned.

I wish you a very happy, prosperous healthy New Year. And all that jazz

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...02178||P1R13SO|

Well, there are still about 200 restaurants within a 6 block radius of the Caron...

One of the more unusual standouts for me in this quartier is Amadeo, 19, rue Francois Miron, about 2 blocks from the hotel. Aside from having lovely bistro food and great ambience, they have a 1/2 price prix-fixe on Tuesday evenings. But the real event is live opera singers and/or classical concerts while you dine, varying schedules, call the restaurant for the schedule. A really unique experience, and quite enjoyable.

Amadeo

19 rue Francois Miron

4th

48 87 01 02

• 2 weeks later...

Menton-

We were visiting the Marais a few days after your post, on January 3 or 4th, and called the number to make a reservation at Amadeo. They accepted it, we walked the few blocks and there was nothing there at that address except for an old persons bright tabac/bar, with a couple of old guys having cafe at the bar. No seating whatsoever.

So we went back to our apt and rang again, and asked if it was Amadeo. They said it wasn't; that they had gone out of business. Not sure what the place was that answered, or why they took our reservation, who knows?

But we ended up going to Chez Janou that night. Always like it there, just behind the Place Des Vosges...smoky and loud, but good food.

Philly Francophiles

Menton-

We were visiting the Marais a few days after your post, on January 3 or 4th, and called the number to make a reservation at Amadeo. They accepted it, we walked the few blocks and there was nothing there at that address except for an old persons bright tabac/bar, with a couple of old guys having cafe at the bar. No seating whatsoever.

So we went back to our apt and rang again, and asked if it was Amadeo. They said it wasn't; that they had gone out of business. Not sure what the place was that answered, or why they took our reservation, who knows?

But we ended up going to Chez Janou that night. Always like it there, just behind the Place Des Vosges...smoky and loud, but good food.

Oops! So sorry! We had been there a couple of years ago, but restaurants are always a volatile business. What is most bizarre is that you had called and they accepted your reservation!!

They are still listed in infobel.fr... must be a recent demise.

Too bad they closed, it was very unique.. Dommage!

there is an excellent chocolate shop on the rue Temple I think, it's very bright yellow and blue and their truffles are fantastic. they have a bit of an aztec theme. Sorry I don't have more specific info, but if you happen upon it definately try the truffles!

Menton-

A bit off topic - but that's the same thing that happened to me the first time I went to L'Ambroisie in 1987. I had a phone number and address for them, from a Gault-Millau, and when my mother came over to visit (she with the purse strings, I a starving student) we decided to splash out. I called and reserved, and we showed up at the appointed place - but it wasn't L'Ambroisie. I then went to the payphone across the street and called, and the phone had a message with the new number on it, for the 'real' 'L'Ambroisie'. It was now about 13h45 or so, and I called and explained my situation - even though it would be nearly the end of lunchtime by the time we arrived, they graciously agreed to serve us whenever we got there.

We ended up having a three hour lunch, eating at the same time as the staff. The food was fabulous, we got smashed, and it couldn't have been better. It's one of the best meals I recall, even though I have no recollection of what we ate.

I have been back since then, and my experience was totally different, and not in a good way.

But I'm hoping to give it another chance this year....

there is an excellent chocolate shop on the rue Temple I think, it's very bright yellow and blue and their truffles are fantastic. they have a bit of an aztec theme. Sorry I don't have more specific info, but if you happen upon it definately try the truffles!

Are you thinking of Cacao et Chocolat , 36 rue Vieille du Temple Paris 75004 33-01-42-71-50-06

This is a mini-chain, i.e., they have a shop on rue Buci, 6e, also. Definitely bright yellow and blue with good truffles. :rolleyes:

eGullet member #80.