• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion (hand) blenders

HKDave

Add me to the folks who have drunk the Bamix Kool-Aid ;)

I love it, and it works great. Get the one with fuel injection and the turbocharger...it's worth the extra 5 grand.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

HKDave, have you purchased an IB yet? Another happy Braun IB owner here. :biggrin: I got the Braun Multiquick professional MR 5000 three months ago and I use it primarily for making cream soup and coulis. The unique anti-splashing design of the shaft really does the job well.

I really love my Braun Multi-Quick Professional. Since I finally unboxed it, I use it frequently and have virtually obsoleted my standard blender. If you go that route, I advise you to get the model with the stainless shaft. They also make one with poly shaft which isn't nearly as durable -- and its model number is very similar to the one with the stainless shaft.

Before buying, I researched the Bamix too and my guess is that they are even superior to the Braun models, but they seemed much larger and storage space was a consideration for me.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I never thought anything about an IB until I saw the Braun Multiquick with the poly shaft at Costco for $9.99 (one of the last two they had) so I figured, "why not?"

I can't imagine not having one, and the regular blender is now on a shelf in the laundry room (limited kitchen space).

And yes, you can use them to make hummus.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I am so happy with the Braun, I just bought a second one after the last one just died.

I would recommend the one with the highest power rating (I think one is 400W and the other is 600W) and with the stainless steel whizzer (sorry for the use of highly technical words!! :wink:;) ) not the plastic one (I only just realized I am repeating what Ronnie Suburban said..I guess that this is just further support for what he said!).

I still have a really good blender but it has been collecting dust since I got the Braun. I use it for everything that needs blitzing, whizzing or even just plain ol' blending! (again apologise for using tech talk!).

Cheers,

Doc-G

Edited by Doc-G (log)

• 8 months later...

I am bumping this topic up because I came across this immersion blender in the new Frontgate catalog.

Wolfgang Puck immersion blender

The 5-cup chopper bowl is larger than most others, the stem is longer and detaches for cleaning. At $69.50 it is more expensive than some but it does have more power 550 watt, than the less expensive ones and the comparable (without the accessories) Bamix is $99.00. This appears to be a good buy. I have ordered one of these to replace one of mine that suffered an accident. It was left on the counter next to the barbecue hood and now has a rather free-form or abstract shape. I thought it best not to plug it in......

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am bumping this topic up because I came across this immersion blender in the new Frontgate catalog.

Wolfgang Puck immersion blender

. . .

I like the looks of this. Do report back, Andie, when you have a chance to put it through its paces.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have ordered one of these to replace one of mine that suffered an accident.  It was left on the counter next to the barbecue hood and now has a rather free-form or abstract shape.  I thought it best not to plug it in......

Affix it to a pedestal and call it "Immersion Subversion" and sell it on eBay as Food Art. Should fetch a pretty penny. :wink::laugh:

Thanks for posting the link!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

This looks like the same as the one available on HSN for $50.

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?w...945868&ocm=sekw

It does look like it and that price is excellent. However, I no longer purchase appliances from HSN, having had two separate unfortunate experiences with items that were damaged and one, on close inspection, had been used and was missing some parts. It took me nearly a year to get the charge reversed after shipping the item back and cancelling the order within 11 days of receiving it.

I prefer to deal with companies who have superior customer service and am willing to pay more to save headaches in the future.

I will post a report on my evaluation of the IB after I have had a chance to put it through its paces.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a bamix copy called the thunderstick

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/thunderstick.html

it uses the same blade designs as the bamix and has worked well. I've had it a few years and I think it's nearing the end of it's life cycle. I will replace it with the real deal bamix. I like the design a lot and love the different blades. It is easier to clean than others I've had in the past. I still use my food processor for hummus since I can walk away while it blends my hummus to a very smooth consistency. I use my IB almost every week, mostly for making sauces, dressings and it's great for pureeing soups. I never really used the attachment food processor and grinder. I already have those and they work better at what they do.

I have this lovely Braun at home too.

It comes with a chopper unit -- great for chopping up garlic and onions for curry -- a large cup for smoothies, shakes and margaritas, and an attachment that's perfect for incorporating my creamy veggie soups.

Cheap, durable and easy to clean.

Is there a decent cordless IB on the market?? I'm doing some demos in the next few weeks and may not have access to power supply at one of them.

Rochelle, I don't have a clue about cordless IB's, but one could use a cordless drill with a drywall mixer attached. Call if you want to borrow them. I did use them once as an IB. (Then I went out and bought an IB.)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Is there a decent cordless IB on the market?? I'm doing some demos in the next few weeks and may not have access to power supply at one of them.

Malawry, I think they're called egg-beaters. They have this little handle that you turn round and round, and the beater blades can go right into the liquid hot or cold! :)

Sorry, couldn't resist saying that!

I have the Bamix professional model, and I use it for smoothing out my marinara sauce.

It really works well, and has two speed buttons. I also use it for smoothing out califlower soup, although sometimes I kind of like the occasional little piece of celery or onion or cauliflower in the soup for some texture. But then other times I like the smooth creaminess of a Bamix-ed soup.

I also used it with its accompanying plastic jar for mayonnaise and it was the best and thickest I ever made. Never been able to get that kind of consistency and thickness ever before. And best of all, you can pop on the lid and keep the mayo in the fridge.

doc

Cuisinart makes this one.

I don't know how powerful it is or how long it will hold a charge. I find that manufacturers often inflate the estimates of time the charge will hold.

Cooking.com is selling it for $39.95 Cuisinart cordless.

I thought Black and Decker made one but haven't been able to find it.

There is this information.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Yeah, I saw the Cuiz version at Amazon.com and was considering investing. But now I'm reconsidering--if I have an IB I'd rather have the Braun professional. So maybe I'll just make something else for the demo with no power supply. (I was considering making a butternut squash soup.)

Snowangel, you just made me spit out my water. :raz:

• 1 month later...

I am bumping this topic up to report on the Wolfgang Puck Immersion Blender I mentioned back in early September.

I have used it quite a few times to prepare:

Mayonnaise

Marinades

Salsa

Puree soups: potato, carrot/sorrel, squash, bean, green pea, cucumber and beet(golden).

Milkshakes/smoothies

Puree fruits: peaches, apricots, plums, grapes(seedless), pears, applesauce/applebutter, mango and pineapple.

Except for the pineapple, it worked beautifully, the pineapple was okay but some of the fibers wound around the blade shaft and I had to remove it a couple of times.

I also used it successfully to cut butter into dry ingredients for a basic baking mix.

It has a 3 1/2 inch longer shaft (stainless steel) than the Braun. The controls are easy to use and the speed adjustment can be worked with the thumb of the hand holding the blender, instead of having to use the other hand as with the Braun.

The blender bowl has a greater capacity than the braun and it seems to blend faster.

It also has higher wattage, 550 watts, as compared to my (destroyed) Braun Turbo 400 watt.

I am very pleased with it. I can use it in my deeper stockpot without having to drag out the big one which is much heavier and requires two hands (for me) to use.

I would not hesitate to recommend it. For me it has been a very good buy.

Oh yes! I forgot to add, cleanup is extraordinarily easy, a drop of detergent in hot water in the blending tumbler, followed by hot plain water, remove the shaft from the motor and air dry.

I am bumping this topic up to report on the Wolfgang Puck Immersion Blender I mentioned back in early September.

. . .

Thanks for this report Andie - if I had not just acquired a Bamix wannabe at a garage sale, I would be adding the Puck one to my Christmas list. I am loving the wannabe as it does a much better job at pureeing soups than my Braun. I have not yet had the opportunity to give it a full workout but that is in the future. I LOVE new toys -- especially CHEAP new toys. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

FWIW - Quite a few of the Puck IBs are listed on ebay for a "Buy It Now" price of $26.00 + $14 shipping.

That is a different model. Shorter shaft, plastic parts.

Mine is Model WPIB0010

I will post a photo.

gallery_17399_60_4838.jpg

FWIW - Quite a few of the Puck IBs are listed on ebay for a "Buy It Now" price of $26.00 + $14 shipping.

That is a different model. Shorter shaft, plastic parts.

Mine is Model WPIB0010

I will post a photo.

gallery_17399_60_4838.jpg

Yep - You're right. Didn't notice the difference in the units.

Edited by dls (log)

10 months after starting this thread, I'm still IB-less. There are limited options here. The only stainless shaft one would be a Bamix which would be a special order from Switzerland and cost US$150+ (can't order from the US, wrong voltage). There are a few retail ones from Braun and Phillips. The Braun looks the best, it's the 600w version and about US$60, so similar to US price. But, only plastic shaft; they don't bring stainless shaft models into Hong Kong.

Has anyone ever melted the plastic shaft on these, or is this nothing to worry about?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

My Braun melted, the motor housing, the shaft and the blade shield, when it was left on the tile counter about 5 inches away from the fire chamber on my barbecue/smoker.

I was roasting 8 whole chickens in the larger, indirect heat chamber. The firebox was at well over 500 degrees. I had used the blender to blend the sauce for the chickens, unplugged it and left it there because I had my hands full when I went into the kitchen.

One of the reasons I got the WP is because it is all metal except for the rubber grip part.