• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

I had a sad old Braun that was hard to clean and low on power. I replaced it with a Kitchen Aid and it's amazing. I'm sure the newer Brauns are fine but I'm actually in love with my KA. 10 speeds, power to spare and the end comes off and can go in the dishwasher if needed.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I got a Braun for Xmas a few days ago and so far I love it :unsure:. I used it so far to make a smoothy and to make an amzingly frothy hot chocolate. I will be using it for all kinds of other stuff, like purreing soups, suces and vinaigrettes it is pretty powerful. I like the idea of using it for Hummous and I will try that for sure.

To answer the original question, I would say if these are the only uses you need it for then, YES.

Although I do not quiet understand this

I bought an IB after seeing them used all the time on Food Network, but I've never used it.

It just doesn't feel right. Like maybe the proportions are wrong for what it does?

SB (but, that's just me)

What do you mean?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I bought an IB after seeing them used all the time on Food Network, but I've never used it.

It just doesn't feel right. Like maybe the proportions are wrong for what it does?

SB (but, that's just me)

What do you mean?

I'm not sure. I was hoping someone would share my feeling and explain it better.

It was just that storing the IB, along with all its attachments, taking it out, using it, washing it, and putting it away again seemed like a lot of bother to perform tasks I used to do otherwise with less fuss, even if not as quickly or completely.

And although I'm not small by any means, (5'11' 175 lbs), it seemed large and awkward to use. I had the same problem with my electric knife, which I really only used to cut fresh bread. My new one was only slightly bigger than the one I replaced, but I didn't like the feel of it, so I put the motor and handle part away and just use the blades alone like a regular bread knife.

SB (Maybe being left-handed has something to do with it?) :unsure:

I had a sad old Braun that was hard to clean and low on power. I replaced it with a Kitchen Aid and it's amazing. I'm sure the newer Brauns are fine but I'm actually in love with my KA. 10 speeds, power to spare and the end comes off and can go in the dishwasher if needed.

I also had another model that finally died, then got a red Kitchen Aid and use it at least a couple times a week. Ditto everything RG says above. I use it mostly for soup, so easy to use and clean. (I'm more challenged for time than space.) I've never used it for hummus, I prefer the food processor for that: just say no to chunky hummus!

cg

SB (but, that's just me)

What do you mean?

I'm not sure. I was hoping someone would share my feeling and explain it better.

It was just that storing the IB, along with all its attachments, taking it out, using it, washing it, and putting it away again seemed like a lot of bother to perform tasks I used to do otherwise with less fuss, even if not as quickly or completely.

And although I'm not small by any means, (5'11' 175 lbs), it seemed large and awkward to use. I had the same problem with my electric knife, which I really only used to cut fresh bread. My new one was only slightly bigger than the one I replaced, but I didn't like the feel of it, so I put the motor and handle part away and just use the blades alone like a regular bread knife.

SB (Maybe being left-handed has something to do with it?) :unsure:

I am pretty sure I will not be using the crappy attachments that came with mine, so these will be put away. The IB itself is as easy to store as a bottle of olive oil. A big advantage to it is not having to pour hot soup from the pot to the blender in batches. Just puree in the pot. Cleanup is a big plus over a blender or a food processor as well, just immerse the dirty end in soapy water and “blend”. It comes out squeaky clean. Store it back next to the bottle of olive oil :smile:.

The Braun is no more than 12 -16 inches long, is that how big your IB is? Maybe you got one of those restaurant issue ones.

I don’t mean to sound like an infomercial, but I really cannot understand the problem you are having with it.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have a Bamix and I love it to death. It's the kind of kitchen tool you sort of have to train yourself to use, though -- when I first got it, I used it maybe once in the first year, then started to remember to use it and now I use it constantly.

I do still use my Cuisinart, and if you can possibly spare the space I'd recommend keeping both around, but my IB has been used for much more than pureeing soups and the like -- I use it every time I make an emulsion sauce. I use it for chopping and grinding (there's a little attachment included for this) and it works like a dream.

Buy one, you'll be glad you did. I love the Bamix, but the Braun (get the $60 one, not the $25 one) gets rave reviews as well -- just gave one to my sister for Christmas, in fact, purchased from amazon.com.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

The Braun is no more than 12 -16 inches long, is that how big your IB is? Maybe you got one of those restaurant issue ones.

I don’t mean to sound like an infomercial, but I really cannot understand the problem you are having with it.

No. :laugh: I don't have an industrial sized blender like I saw Emeril use one night! What bothered me wasn't so much a matter of ergonomics as a more subltle sense. Maybe it was tactility? Like having one-too-many labor saving appliances.

Perhaps it's an innate practicality inherited from my Scotch/English and Serbian grandmothers, either of whom could cook far better than I ever will using a lot less equipment. (Although I'm sure they had nothing against the idea of "labor saving"!)

Or perhaps I just don't puree enough to appreciate it?

SB :wink:

Thanks to all for the responses. Sounds like an IB will do the job... now I'm off to the shops to see which models are available here in HK. Prices here are usually more than in the US.

I've already fired an e-mail off to Bamix asking if they have a local agent...

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I got a Philips HR1358 IB second-hand, and it was a vast improvement on our old Braun IB. Click here for the Target.com link, where it's not available, but you'll get a sense of the design. The little chopping bowl is very handy, and the IB itself is excellent. Only four speeds, but I puree a lot and find it's perfect. One caveat: the frame for the base of the blender attachment (the part that will hit the bottom of your bowl or pot) is made of stainless steel, so you wouldn't want to use this one with anything non-stick.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Our Phillips food processor just died, so I need a replacement.  But I'm thinking... I used it mainly for two specific tasks: pureeing soups, and making hummous.  And I have a storage-challenged life.  Could I get by with an immersion blender (hereinafter refered to as an IB)?

I've heard that IBs won't get a puree as smooth as a processor - true or not?  I know neither will get it as smooth as a blender, I can live with that.

And I've never heard of anyone using an IB for hummous.  Anyone do this?

Last night I was just using my IB for mixing drinks.. I put a can of pears with some ice and vodka.. It worked just fine.. And the best part was, no cleaning up the blender!

The corded Cuisineart SmartStick got a rave in one of the papers -- I don't remember where. Cook's Illustrated gave the Braun PowerMax MX2050 a top rating.

Any experience with the Cuisineart or the particular Braun model?

I just got a cheap one....can't remember the brand (and I'm not home to check), but it was about $25 at WalMart. Wanted to see if I'd even use the thing before I popped for a good, expensive one. This one has only one speed, and no attachments.

Well, I use it all the time; most recently, two nights ago when I heated up a saucepan of leftover beans, and when it was really hot and I was about to spoon it into the bowls, decided it'd probably make a great pureed soup. Would have been quite the pain to pour that boiling hot pot of stuff into a blender or food processor. But with the IB, no prob. Stuck it into the pot, pushed the button, and that little beauty just whirled the beans (pork and bacon and all) right into a delicious brew. Ladled them into individual soup bowls, topped with a blob of sour cream and a pretty sprinkle of cilantro leaves, and there you go.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Most of them will work well on soups and drinks, smoothies, etc.

The combination ones do more and for small batches of stuff the mini processor bowl works quite well and saves having to have another appliance.

The hanging bracket is very handy and means you do not have to find drawer space for it and it even stores the cord nicely.

I have the Braun turbo 400 watt with this little processor attachment.gallery_17399_60_127705.jpg

Which works quite well and can be found for quite reasonable prices.

Braun turbo

I have a larger one for use in deep stock pots - made by Mitey - with a long shaft. It is on loan right now but usually hangs from the vent hood over my stovetop - I had plugs installed up there so I could use these appliances without having cords draped over the stovetop.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I had never used an immersion blender till a friend gave me one last year when someone gave him a new one. ("I didn't like it anyway, it was white and showed dirt to easily...") :blink:

Now I wonder how I got along without it for so long. I've made hummous, baba ghanouj, all sorts of sauces. It's great for pureeing soups without having to pour them into a blender, saving lumped pudding, you name it.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I got my Bamix last year as my Christmas present to myself. It has been a wonderful gift. My Kitchen Aid stand mixer is lost in storage and I have actually used the Bamix to do the creaming steps in making cookies and such for this Christmas. Yes, the KA would have been easier, but the Bamix did a good job. Now, I am remembering to use the darn thing more often and am becoming enamoured with it. I don't think I will replace the blender that died.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Add me to the folks who have drunk the Bamix Kool-Aid ;)

I love it, and it works great. Get the one with fuel injection and the turbocharger...it's worth the extra 5 grand.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org

HKDave, have you purchased an IB yet? Another happy Braun IB owner here. :biggrin: I got the Braun Multiquick professional MR 5000 three months ago and I use it primarily for making cream soup and coulis. The unique anti-splashing design of the shaft really does the job well.

I really love my Braun Multi-Quick Professional. Since I finally unboxed it, I use it frequently and have virtually obsoleted my standard blender. If you go that route, I advise you to get the model with the stainless shaft. They also make one with poly shaft which isn't nearly as durable -- and its model number is very similar to the one with the stainless shaft.

Before buying, I researched the Bamix too and my guess is that they are even superior to the Braun models, but they seemed much larger and storage space was a consideration for me.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I never thought anything about an IB until I saw the Braun Multiquick with the poly shaft at Costco for $9.99 (one of the last two they had) so I figured, "why not?"

I can't imagine not having one, and the regular blender is now on a shelf in the laundry room (limited kitchen space).

And yes, you can use them to make hummus.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I am so happy with the Braun, I just bought a second one after the last one just died.

I would recommend the one with the highest power rating (I think one is 400W and the other is 600W) and with the stainless steel whizzer (sorry for the use of highly technical words!! :wink:;) ) not the plastic one (I only just realized I am repeating what Ronnie Suburban said..I guess that this is just further support for what he said!).

I still have a really good blender but it has been collecting dust since I got the Braun. I use it for everything that needs blitzing, whizzing or even just plain ol' blending! (again apologise for using tech talk!).

Cheers,

Doc-G

Edited by Doc-G (log)

• 8 months later...

I am bumping this topic up because I came across this immersion blender in the new Frontgate catalog.

Wolfgang Puck immersion blender

The 5-cup chopper bowl is larger than most others, the stem is longer and detaches for cleaning. At $69.50 it is more expensive than some but it does have more power 550 watt, than the less expensive ones and the comparable (without the accessories) Bamix is $99.00. This appears to be a good buy. I have ordered one of these to replace one of mine that suffered an accident. It was left on the counter next to the barbecue hood and now has a rather free-form or abstract shape. I thought it best not to plug it in......

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am bumping this topic up because I came across this immersion blender in the new Frontgate catalog.

Wolfgang Puck immersion blender

. . .

I like the looks of this. Do report back, Andie, when you have a chance to put it through its paces.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have ordered one of these to replace one of mine that suffered an accident.  It was left on the counter next to the barbecue hood and now has a rather free-form or abstract shape.  I thought it best not to plug it in......

Affix it to a pedestal and call it "Immersion Subversion" and sell it on eBay as Food Art. Should fetch a pretty penny. :wink::laugh:

Thanks for posting the link!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

This looks like the same as the one available on HSN for $50.

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?w...945868&ocm=sekw

It does look like it and that price is excellent. However, I no longer purchase appliances from HSN, having had two separate unfortunate experiences with items that were damaged and one, on close inspection, had been used and was missing some parts. It took me nearly a year to get the charge reversed after shipping the item back and cancelling the order within 11 days of receiving it.

I prefer to deal with companies who have superior customer service and am willing to pay more to save headaches in the future.

I will post a report on my evaluation of the IB after I have had a chance to put it through its paces.