• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Spirits in Lead Crystal

M.X.Hassett

Plenty of people eat food that's been cooked in lead-glazed pottery every so often, or drink hard booze that's been stored in a lead crystal decanter for years and don't "get sick" every time they do it. . . but that doesn't mean it's not a bad idea.

Sam posted this over in the Antique Copper Pans thread. I have a collection of antique lead crystal decanters and have used them for storing bourbon, scotch, whiskey, etc... brown sipping spirits. The max the spirits are in the vessel would be 6-8 months. Should I stop? Should I tell my doctor? Should I stop typing and call my doctor? I did some googling but there is a lot of conflicting info and not much on decanters dating from 60-200 years ago. I normally do not worry about things like this I smoke, drink, consume to much fat, eat raw eggs, etc... but whats the story here people?

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

:hmmm: Fret not but do read this:

information on storing liquor in lead crystal decanters

"Lead poisoning is a cumulative thing," says Doug Borys, director of the Central Texas Poison Control Center ... "a tiny amount will leach into liquid served in a lead glass or decanter." Recommendation? Place liquor in a lead crystal decanter the day of a party; do not store any liquid in it. Never serve children food in lead crystal. New lead crystal ware (decanter, pitcher, glass etc.) should be rinsed in white vinegar before using to remove lead dust.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"