• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

le creuset label

Kim Shook

I am talking about the paper label that is pasted on the side of the pan (the outside). The first pot we got, we assumed that it was supposed to come off. So we peeled most of it off, scrubbed off what we could, scraped off some more...you get the idea. Years later there is still a smeary, sticky place where the label was. I just got a new pot for Christmas and I am wondering - is this supposed to come off or not??? It looks like it should come off - its not even completely pasted down - the edge is coming up! Help, please!!

I took mine off. For the sticky part that didn't come off, we used a product called Goo Gone and it's perfect. It's great for getting those stupid bar code labels off too that never come off glasses and such properly.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Also useful: Spray-n-Wash Stain Stick. (The spray kind doesn't work, for some reason, only the stick variety.) Soak off as much of the sticker as you can, run the Stain Stick across the leftover goo, and scrub it off. The stain stick leaves a slick, oily residue behind, but that's easily washed off with soap and hot water.

I did the same thing to a stock pot last year and every time I get it out of the cabinet the s.o. says "I can't believe you took the label off, now it just looks stupid." I am on my way to the store now for goo gone AND a stain stick. With a little luck and elbow grease, I will have finally heard the end of it. Thanks to all -- now I can enjoy my beautiful pot. :rolleyes:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Goo-Gone works but smells awful.

I mostly use Un-Du, which has no odor and is even better at dissolving old glue than Goo-Gone. However, it doesn't remove the glue, so you need to wipe the area quickly after using it.

Their website is offline at the moment, but here's a Google cache list of stores that stock it.

I am so happy that I am not the only feeb that couldnt get the label all the way off

tracey :blush:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I've had an LC saucepan with label for about five years, and even had it re-enameled. Still have the label.

My theory is that it'll catch fire one day in the oven. Until then, no big deal.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

I can't stand the smell of Goo-Gone and its relatives.

For really tough sticky label residue I use Avon SkinSoSoft oil.

This was in a "Helpful Hints" book I read many years ago and it still works, and it even works on soft plastic stuff that Goo-Gone will dissolve (before the label glue).

It was recommended for use on baby items on which you should not use Goo-Gone.

I soak a scrap of cloth with the oil, place it over the label and leave it for an hour or so.

If a label has a plastic cover layer, I do peel that off first, leaving the paper part.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've had an LC saucepan with label for about five years, and even had it re-enameled. Still have the label.

My theory is that it'll catch fire one day in the oven. Until then, no big deal.

Yep same here. Never re-enameled but some have come of in washing etc. Some are still on the crueset pieces and they are nicely browned. That's why Staub is awesome no label just a cool little coaster thingy.

This was in a "Helpful Hints" book I read many years ago and it still works, and it even works on soft plastic stuff that Goo-Gone will dissolve (before the label glue). 

I soak a scrap of cloth with the oil, place it over the label and leave it for an hour or so.

If a label has a plastic cover layer, I do peel that off first, leaving the paper part.

I'll be, another use for SSO! I had some in my fly fishing gear --- for keeping the mosquitos and other critters at bay. That really works. I just tried it on a label that I would have had to at least rest overnight smeared in dish soap. It wiped off easily after 10 - 15 minutes.

I'll be, another use for SSO! I had some in my fly fishing gear --- for keeping the mosquitos and other critters at bay. That really works. I just tried it on a label that I would have had to at least rest overnight smeared in dish soap. It wiped off easily after 10 - 15 minutes.

It also works beautifully on chromed things that are so easy to scratch. I use it on my antique chromed appliances where some idiot has stuck tape or a gummed label. It is the only thing that will remove it safely. Never, ever use Goo-Gone on anything old that has bakelite handles or trim, it will dissolve it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hmm. After removing the label adhesive, I spilled a small amount of Skin-So-Soft on my marble slab. I wiped it, washed it with dish soap and water and sprinkled baking soda on it and let it sit overnight. Still a faint odor of the S-S-S. I am concerned that bread and pastry dough may pick it up. Any ideas about how to get it out would be appreciated.

Hmm. After removing the label adhesive, I spilled a small amount of Skin-So-Soft on my marble slab. I wiped it, washed it with dish soap and water and sprinkled baking soda on it and let it sit overnight. Still a faint odor of the S-S-S. I am concerned that bread and pastry dough may pick it up. Any ideas about how to get it out would be appreciated.

I use a tiny bit of Dawn power dissolver, scrubbed with a wet nail brush then immediately wiped with a wet towel and then rubbed with a cut lemon or a few drops of lemon juice. That even took the stuff out of the butcher block next to the sink.

Whenever I have to use the stuff now, I work on the top of the washer or dryer because I always manage to spill a little.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

The LC labels are one of my pet peeves. Why do manufacturer's use labels that you can't get off? Don't even get me started on the little buggers on produce.

I like the SSS idea. Over the holidays I found out from a friend that rubbing alcohol, the 91% version, works pretty good as well.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Learned this from a friend the book trade. Simply buy a can of lighter fluid, apply fluid with kitchen roll to sticker and rub off. Works like a charm. Also work on second hand book stickers.

Just chiming in to agree with Mr wozencroft. Lighter fluid is indeed one of the secret weapons of the book trade. We couldn't get through the day without it.

At home, I use it regularly on all sorts of troublesome stickers, but it's been especially helpful with those tenacious Le Crueset labels. It will also get rid of any sticky residue left behind by previous attempts at label removal.

pat w

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

My mom gave me one of the heart-shaped LC casseroles for Xmas. She got it on clearance last year, so the label had been there for quite a while, and was firmly stuck. I sprayed it with Dawn Power Dissolver and let it sit for a half hour, then wiped it with a paper towel and the label came right off.

Best advise yet. Just use it. It will eventually clean itself.

By the way, I have an old piece of enameled cast iron made in Holland where the enamel has worn out on the inside from years of use. Still use it. Works fine - doesn't look so good.

Someone had mentioned re-enameling. Does anyone know anything about this?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.