• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegmans in South Jersey

rlibkind

According to Wegman's web site, the new Mt. Laurel store is tentatively scheduled to open March 19, the Cherry Hill store sometime in the first half of 2006.

I'm ready!

I can't wait. The Downingtown store is currently the closest and it's an HOUR drive! Cherry Hill will be 10 minutes from my front door, and until then Mount Laurel isn't too far to go.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sure wish we'd get a Wegman's in North Jersey. And maybe a Wawa while they're at it.

Wegman's still holds an option on the former Varityper property in East Hanover, I believe.

That's tucked in between Hanover Park High School and Novartis, at the west intersection of Old Mt Pleasant and NJ 10. (Behind the Burger King and Gogel tire.)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

They may still own it, but last we heard, it wasn't happening. At least, not there.

And I'm sorry to sound like a north Jersey snob, but COME ON, PEOPLE! Mt. Laurel is getting a Wegman's?!? :huh: Time for someone in corporate to get a clue about the ZILLIONS of $$$ to be had here in eastern/northern NJ. YEESH.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

They may still own it, but last we heard, it wasn't happening.  At least, not there.

And I'm sorry to sound like a north Jersey snob, but COME ON, PEOPLE!  Mt. Laurel is getting a Wegman's?!?  :huh:  Time for someone in corporate to get a clue about the ZILLIONS of $$$ to be had here in eastern/northern NJ.  YEESH.

They should have put one where that Shoprite is in Lyndhurst.

They should have put one where that Shoprite is in Lyndhurst.

WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME?!? :wacko:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

They may still own it, but last we heard, it wasn't happening.  At least, not there.

And I'm sorry to sound like a north Jersey snob, but COME ON, PEOPLE!  Mt. Laurel is getting a Wegman's?!?  :huh:  Time for someone in corporate to get a clue about the ZILLIONS of $$$ to be had here in eastern/northern NJ.  YEESH.

For all intents, the new Wegman's is in Moorestown...which was recently voted the best town to live in in the entire USA...and that's Moorestown, not Morristown....and with residents including the Eagles' McNabb, Owens, etc there's plenty of $bling$ down here in the "slums" to keep a grocery store like Wegman's in tall cotton...

sorry if I sound like a south Jersey snob....

That certainly makes more sense--thanks for the clarification. And I never said that South Jersey wasn't a nice place to live--we in northern NJ tend to think of it as the open space/GARDEN part of the Garden State down there--not crazily overpopulated like it is up here! That's all I meant by it.

Hey I've been down there recently, a good friend just moved from Montclair to Mt. Laurel (from the sublime to the ridiculous if you ask me) and I don't see what you've got to be snobby about. Moorestown may have won that silly Money magazine poll but they've written glowing things in the past about cities like Duluth, Mn. and you aren't going to move there any time soon and neither am I. Moorestown scored highly because of its proximity to Philadelphia hospitals, colleges, culture, history etc. but otherwise its just another upscale NJ suburb and we've got lots of those up here. Now I'm not going to tell you that everything is wonderful here above that bridge on the GSP but its better than

down there.

There, I said it. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I've been down there recently, a good friend just moved from Montclair to Mt. Laurel (from the sublime to the ridiculous if you ask me) and I don't see what you've got to be snobby about. Moorestown may have won that silly Money magazine poll but they've written glowing things in the past about cities like Duluth, Mn. and you aren't going to move there any time soon and neither am I. Moorestown scored highly because of its proximity to Philadelphia hospitals, colleges, culture, history etc. but otherwise its just another upscale NJ suburb and we've got lots of those up here. Now I'm not going to tell you that everything is wonderful here above that bridge on the GSP but its better than

down there.

There, I said it. :biggrin:

:angry:

I just looked up Hubris in the dictionary and saw your name in the defintion.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Have you been to the Wegman's in Woodbridge? Not so far from where you are in North Jersey. Probably about a 20-30 minute ride on the Parkway.

John the hot dog guy

Have you been to the Wegman's in Woodbridge? Not so far from where you are in North Jersey. Probably about a 20-30 minute ride on the Parkway.

Absolutely! That's the one I go to when I go, but it's not exactly next door, so I have to plan to go when I'm coming up the Turnpike or GSP, which isn't all that often.

Take away the KMart & PathMark on Eagle Rock/Prospect in West Orange... Turn the whole building into a Wegmans!

If you don't already know this... the old Pathmark building will be turning into a Whole Foods - was scheduled to be open this year, however I believe it may have been pushed back to the start of 2007.

You can read more about it in this thread: whole foods coming to west orange?

That said, I do like Wegmans. I am somewhat fortunate that my office is in Iselin, a stones throw from the Wegmans in Woodbridge. So I do find myself occasionally taking a detour to there before going home.

According to Wegman's web site, the new Mt. Laurel store is tentatively scheduled to open March 19, the Cherry Hill store sometime in the first half of 2006.

I'm ready!

I can't wait. The Downingtown store is currently the closest and it's an HOUR drive! Cherry Hill will be 10 minutes from my front door, and until then Mount Laurel isn't too far to go.

The Wegmans in Lawrenceville is closer. 45 minutes TOPS from your place.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'm ready!

The Wegmans in Lawrenceville is closer. 45 minutes TOPS from your place.

Rich:

Of course you are correct. I'm embarrassed to confess I didn't know about the Lawrenceville Wegman's until quite recently. :blush:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
Mount Laurel store opens this Sunday at 7 a.m.

Cherry Hill tentatively scheduled for June 11.

Yesssss!!! clap.gif

I'm due to go grocery shopping this week. I'm going to see if I can hold out until the weekend just so I can make the trip to Mount Laurel.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Mount Laurel store opens this Sunday at 7 a.m.

Cherry Hill tentatively scheduled for June 11.

Yesssss!!! clap.gif

I'm due to go grocery shopping this week. I'm going to see if I can hold out until the weekend just so I can make the trip to Mount Laurel.

Just be prepared for the place to be a total zoo!! When the Manalapan store opened (also on a Sunday, which is the day of the week the new ones always open), my husband and I decided to go just to have a look at the place. We got there just before 7 a.m., and the parking lot was already full. Once everyone was let inside, it was practically impossible to move around in the area where the bakery, prepared foods, deli counters, fresh fish and meat counters, and fruits and vegetables are located. Interestingly, when we headed over to the grocery aisles, there was hardly anyone there. For my first actual shopping excursion there, I went back later in the week when things were not so insane.

I don't want to get off topic here but I must confess that I am a Wegmans junkie.

I live near the Capital district in upstate NY and this past Saturday I drove to the Rochester store. That is a 400 mile round trip. And believe it or not I was in the store six hours. :laugh: But that did include pizza with the family.

Needless to say I guess I'll be visiting the Mount Laurel Wegmans soon.

Robert R