• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Baked Goods

Randi

I was looking at a site that had something called Tiger brownies which I figured I could create. It was blondies and brownies alternated in strips over a shortbread crust. I managed to get that all done no problem but then I figured it needed a chocolate glaze. Never been a problem before but this time I didn't notice the twist tie that fell into the bowl along with the chocolate pieces. I put it all into the microwave to melt and all of a sudden there were major sparks going on!! I pulled it out and removed the burnt twist tie and let it finish melting. After it was melted I tasted it and all I could taste was charcoal. I got my husband to try it and he said it was fine so I figured it was just me and went ahead and used it.

I took them to a family event where they were enjoyed. They noticed a unique flavour but couldn't quite place it. I told them it was a secret! :wink: To me they still taste like "campfire".

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden