• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ONE.midtown Kitchen Review

babern38

Any word who he challenges? Or what the theme ingredient might be?

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

• 6 months later...

If Chef Chris Bischoff is still there, I have no doubt that the food is excellent, and I'm sure some of Chef Blais's ideas are still on the menu.

However, Blais personally owned most of the interesting equipment: the water circulators, the LNO stuff, etc., and it went with him. Since he did the tasting menus personally, I doubt that they're still being scheduled.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this up hoping for a current report. I'll be in town Sunday and will need a group (not necessarity private- just a big group) dinner place for about 20. Over my objection, our group is currently planning on Ray's in the City. I'm not particularly in charge, but I'll push for a move if improvement is fairly certain. On the other hand, I don't want to go through the eye rolls unless the upgrade is worthwhile.

So, is this place pretty solid? It's open Sunday, which puts it ahead of most of the places I've been to up there (I thought I was solidly in the Bible Belt, but I was quite surprised at the number of Atlanta places closed Sunday). I looked at the menu on line- is it all small plates? How does the "bottomless wine glass" work? I have to admit, that sounds pretty appealing-can I bring my Big Gulp cup?

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

All of the Concentrics places are solid: you'll get good food, good service, and an excellent wine list.

But if I had 20 people to feed, and I wanted them to have great food cooked and served with passion in a nice atmosphere, I'd call Repast and see if the upstairs room is available.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, like most of the places I considered, it appears Repast is closed Sunday. I have to say the Sunday situation caught me by surprise, as I consider Atlanta the Big City, but I'm sure it's a rational business decision on the part of the owners. Still surprising, though.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Paris is certainly a "big city" - and many high end restaurants there are closed at least 2 days a week - sometimes 3. It isn't that easy finding a high end restaurant open Sunday night in NYC either. It isn't a Bible Belt - or provincial thing. Employees need a day or two off! Robyn

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, like most of the places I considered, it appears Repast is closed Sunday. I have to say the Sunday situation caught me by surprise, as I consider Atlanta the Big City, but I'm sure it's a rational business decision on the part of the owners. Still surprising, though.

Sorry for the misfire; I thought I had been to Repast on a Sunday. Perhaps it was Monday I was thinking of, since it's open that night (and is a favorite of people in the life).

To make up for it, here's a list of decent places open on Sunday (far from exhaustive):

• Some Buckhead Life stores: Kyma, Atlanta Fish Market, Nava, Pricci
  • As far as I can tell, all the Concentrics places: One, Two, Trois, Tap, Stats, Lobby, Parish, Room, etc.
  • The Here To Serve group: Twist, Shout, Goldfish, Home, etc.
  • JCT Kitchen
  • Restaurant Eugene
  • 4th & Swift
  • Au Pied de Cochon
  • Craft and craftbar
  • Serpas
  • Shaun's
  • Pura Vida

The quality of this list varies a bit, but I think any of them would be more interesting than Ray's.

And to answer your previous question, the last time I was at One, you could go small plates or your basic three courses, or a combination.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave the Cook, I appreciate the effort you put into this list. I previously looked at Restaurant Eugene and JCT Kitchen and was excited about the Sunday specials. The former, however could not take a group our size. The latter was rejected by our group leader (maybe because it sounded too meat & 3, or maybe because it was too far to walk from the hotel). Your list has given me some places to try on future visits.

Eventually, my wife reminded me that I take the whole food issue too seriously (I disagree, but not openly).

Ray't it is, and I'm going to smile about it. In my free time, I'm going to sneak to Flip Burger Bar and Buford Highway for banh mi.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe