• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Swisskaese - Hannukah: The Feastival of Light

Swisskaese

So, before we post our dinner pictures, does anyone want to guess what fish we are preparing tonight?

We are going to prepare a fish dinner this evening using a fish from Lake Victoria. They weigh up to 200kg (440lb). It is a Fred Flintstone size fish.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Before we begin dinner, we would like to raise a glass to all of you! To another wonderful year with eGullet. Thank you Jason and Steven for starting such a wonderful site. You have enabled us to meet some very, very interesting people along the way.

Hip, Hip, Hurray! L'Chaim (to Life)!

gallery_8006_3_12490.jpg

Lustau, Solera Reserva, Old Oloroso

gallery_28660_3_57416.jpg

Nahshon, it turns out, is one of the biggest manufacturers of the 'bag in a box.'

A Trappist Monastery is surprising, the buffalo are unexpected, but what are Native American dream catchers doing hanging behind the bags in boxes?

Thanks for sharing the bounty of your home with us this week. It's been fascinating and a real education.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Funnily enough, there is a strong attraction to Native American Indian culture and mysticism in general. After all, Kabbalah, Jewish mysticism, is almost 2,000 years old.

The Latrun Monastery was founded in 1890 by a group of Trappist monks from France.

Next up, starting Tuesday morning and running for about a week...

gallery_1890_1967_33125.jpg

gallery_1890_1967_1366.jpg

Name the location of each of these two photos, and you'll be well on your way to identifying our next two bloggers.  :wink:

Well, the second photo is definitely San Francisco (TransAmerica Pyramid). I'm guessing the first is somewhere in Hawaii. Am I getting warm? :smile:

I am very disappointed that no one tried to guess what fish we cooked for dinner. :sad::raz:

We made nile perch.

gallery_8006_3_303710.jpg

David seasoned the fish with red pepper, thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary, pepper and olive oil.

gallery_8006_3_114711.jpg

He then added a cup of wine, covered it with aluminum and baked it at 180 (350 degrees) for 30 minutes.

Heh. I had Googled Lake Victoria and found out about the perch, but I didn't feel right posting about it since I consider falling back on Google to be kind of cheating. :biggrin:

Google is not cheating, it is how we learn about things. My father always made me look up words I didn't know instead of telling me so that I would learn and remember the word.

Now we have Google and other sites. :smile:

So, our complete dinner was as follows:

gallery_8006_3_36353.jpg

Artichoke with a mayonnaise, garlic, thyme, dijon mustard, lemon and a splash of balsamico dip

gallery_8006_3_21384.jpg

Nile perch, green peas and rice seasoned with a rice seasoning of dried vegetables.

The fish was delicious. David made a wonderful dinner and I made a tasty mayonnaise dip for the artichokes.

Thank you for a wonderful week, Swisskaese and Tapanade! I enjoyed every journey and every bite.

And I thank you, if my waistline won't, for the news that the best ever rugelach is at B&B Bagel on Touhy. Where I will be. One day soon.

Shalom and Lila Tov!

To Michelle and David, I wish you both shalom (peace) and much happiness in eretz Yisroel ... Todah rabbah (thank you) for sharing your Hanukkah with us .. for the beautiful photographs of the food, the candles in your hanukkiah, the background on the country, the animal pictures which were wonderfully hilarious (ostrich behinds and those buffaloes) ... those glorious pictures of Yaffo ...

you both have made me wish to join you in making aliyah (moving) to Israel ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks for blogging, oh and if you want one more sweet thing, feel free to have some of that halvah parfait you had at your wedding( you sent me the recipe last year, I've yet to make it, but I dream about it)

I will have to find some diet halvah. :raz:

My New Year's resolution is to stop eating.

Michelle (and David) your blog is WONDERFUL. so evocative and heartfelt and beautifully photographed, i felt as if i were there with you!

your pomegranate tart is GORGEOUS, and it is simply a delightful portrait of your life and lifestyle at the table, and for all of the glimpses of everyday israeli life and what goes in to bringing this lovely food to your table, i thank you for sharing it!

i'm also a big fan of israeli cottage cheese; when i lived on kibbutz a million years ago in another lifetime, saturday night was when they often served cottage cheese with lovely rolls. depending on how the week went, it could be a highlight, i'm telling you. (interestingly, it was the same kibbutz that amos oz was living, and he was the 'kibbutz' father/family--as they gave volunteers a family to go to for tea and a connection to the place-- to my best friend).

again, thanks michelle, and david. how very touching and delicious your blog has been!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

To Michelle and David, I wish you both shalom (peace) and much happiness in eretz Yisroel ... Todah rabbah (thank you) for sharing your Hanukkah with us .. for the beautiful photographs of the food, the candles in your hanukkiah, the background on the country, the animal pictures which were wonderfully hilarious (ostrich behinds and those buffaloes) ... those glorious pictures of Yaffo ...

you both have made me wish to join you in making aliyah (moving) to Israel ...

Melissa,

Come on over. We would love to show you around. And, if you just want to visit, you can stay in one of hundreds of zimmerim (cabins) all over Israel. We have stayed in several and will be happy to make recommendations. They are B&Bs and some of the owners serve some very nice Israeli breakfasts.

Here is a link to to a Zimmerim site:

Weekend

I just returned home and had to catch up on the rest of your blog. Todah again. It was wonderful - please do it again :wink: .

I will have to find some diet halvah.  :raz:

Achva - makes 'sugarless'. :biggrin:

Dear Swisskaese and "My David" (I'll always think of him that way now!) Thank you, especially for showing us the dairies, markets and vintners, and your gorgeous meals. Swisskaese, you have a lovely, happy way of writing, and it is so nice to match your smile to your words! Thank you again.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06