• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

oil based gelee

bunny

does anyone here have any idea on how to make such a product. i want to make a sesame oil gelee.

What do you mean by gelee? To me, a gelee is a firm gelatinous essence of fruit or vegetable, usually set with pectin. Do you want to make a seseme oil gel?

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

There are many ways to make an oil "gel" There is however no hydracolliod that will set an oil and remain transparent, on account they all need water to hydrate. It has been my unicorn for some time now.

can you give me any insight as to the many ways

For a clear oil gell you need something like a clear wax, or a way or polymerising the oil. like linseed oil drying to make a varnish. Not sure it would be nice to eat, and many lipids cloud as they congeal (cold olive oil, butter fat, goose fat)

For an oil containing solid emulsion then make an emulsion (e.g. mayo) and set it with any of the water based hydrocolloids - gelatine, agar, gellan etc.