• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wow! What a difference.

cdh

My dear old Gaggia Carezza has been around for nearly 5 years now, and over time it slowly degraded in performance. I finally got around to doing some invasive maintenence, disassembling the thing and cleaning out the boiler and replacing the gasket that seals the grounds into the filter handle. The machine is now totally revitalized, and making better coffee than it has in years.

So, if your espresso machine is disappointing you, look into getting new gaskets and giving it a good cleaning. You'll not regret it.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

How timely. I change the gaskets on the commercial machines at work every six months but just never got around to changing mine at home. Have had my Isomac for several years and only use it one weekends but the rubber dries out and hardens eventually even if you don't pull many shots.

I'm taking my rig to a Christmas dinner tomorrow and did a gasket swap-out and dispersion screen Purocaffe scrub today. Can't wait to taste the difference in results (but not until tomorrow - it's too late to drink espresso now if I intend to sleep tonight).