• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wailua, Maui

Foodie-Girl

We'll be staying at the Four Seasons and so far these are the places I've come up with:

Spago

Humuhumunukunukuapua's (miracle if I spelled that correctly !)

Ferraro's

Nick's Fish Market

Kincha

Capische

Pacific Grill

Though we'll have a car we want to stay within a 10 minute or so drive of the hotel...We've seen most of the island and just want to celebrate our anniversary by moving as little as possible...LOL

Thanks for any suggestions...

We'll be staying at the Four Seasons and so far these are the places I've come up with:

Spago

Ferraro's

Nick's Fish Market

Kincha

Capische

Pacific Grill

Though we'll have a car we want to stay within a 10 minute or so drive of the hotel...We've seen most of the island and just want to celebrate our anniversary by moving as little as possible...LOL

In the Wailea Resort area, there's also Joe's Bar & Grill. It's owned by Bev Gannon (of Haliimaile General Store fame) and her husband. (131 Wailea Ike Place-875 7767). I haven't eaten there yet, but it's gotten decent reviews.

If you get tired of the resort, head into Kihei town and go to these places which have good food:

Sansei Seafood & Sushi Restaurant (Kihei Town Center (near Foodland, 808-879-0004)--excellent sushi and they have late night specials.

If you want to eat like the locals do, go to Da Kitchen ( 2439 S Kihei Rd-875 7782). They're in a small strip mall just north of the larger mall with Denny's in it). Their plate lunches are huge (enough food for 2 meals) and great to take to the beach for lunch. Around the corner from Da Kitchen (in the same mall, around the corner on the right hand side--you have to pass by it because it's a one way street) has an excellent Thai restaurant. I can't remember the name of it, but besides the Thai place in Wailuku, this has the best Thai food on Maui.

If you want to sit on a patio and sip a Mai Tai and watch the sun set, go to KKO Kitchen (2511 Kihei Rd., 879-1954). They're across the road from Kamaole Beach (Beach 1, I think). The food's OK, but the sunset is awesome. I think they also serve breakfast there, too.

If you want some nightlife, go to Hapa's Brewhouse (down the road by Star Market and Azeka Place) 41 East Lipoa St-879-9001. On most Monday nights, Hawaii's treasure Willie K jams there. Other nights they have karaoke and a DJ.

Have fun!

Miulang

Spago

Ferraro's

Nick's Fish Market

Kincha

Capische

Pacific Grill

In the Wailea Resort area, there's also Joe's Bar & Grill. It's owned by Bev Gannon (of Haliimaile General Store fame) and her husband. (131 Wailea Ike Place-875 7767). I haven't eaten there yet, but it's gotten decent reviews.

If you get tired of the resort, head into Kihei town and go to these places which have good food:

Sansei Seafood & Sushi Restaurant (Kihei Town Center (near Foodland, 808-879-0004)--excellent sushi and they have late night specials.

If you want to eat like the locals do, go to Da Kitchen ( 2439 S Kihei Rd-875 7782). They're in a small strip mall just north of the larger mall with Denny's in it). Their plate lunches are huge (enough food for 2 meals) and great to take to the beach for lunch. Around the corner from Da Kitchen (in the same mall, around the corner on the right hand side--you have to pass by it because it's a one way street) has an excellent Thai restaurant. I can't remember the name of it, but besides the Thai place in Wailuku, this has the best Thai food on Maui.

If you want to sit on a patio and sip a Mai Tai and watch the sun set, go to KKO Kitchen (2511 Kihei Rd., 879-1954). They're across the road from Kamaole Beach (Beach 1, I think). The food's OK, but the sunset is awesome. I think they also serve breakfast there, too.

If you want some nightlife, go to Hapa's Brewhouse (down the road by Star Market and Azeka Place) 41 East Lipoa St-879-9001. On most Monday nights, Hawaii's treasure Willie K jams there. Other nights they have karaoke and a DJ.

Have fun!

Miulang

Hi Miulang!

Thanks for all the great ideas. Can you tell me about how long the drive from Wailea to the Kihei area is? THANKS

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

Foodiegirl,

Happy anniversary!

When we were in Maui in September, we went all around the island, and our favorite place was in Paia, which is on the northen side of the island, about a 45 minute drive from Wailea.

Our second favorite place in Maui was Spago. The Spicy Ahi Tuna “Poke” in Sesame-Miso Cones were incredible. I'll second the vote for Sansei, which has excellent sushi. There's also a wine shop in Kihei called "Who Cut the Cheese", which sells some wonderful Hawaiian goat cheese. I'd say Kihei is about a 10 minute drive from Wailea. You'll find a nice variety of places to eat in Kihei. I haven't eaten at the other places that miulang mentioned, but have heard good things about them.

Have fun.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Foodiegirl,

Happy anniversary!

When we were in Maui in September, we went all around the island, and our favorite place was in Paia, which is on the northen side of the island, about a 45 minute drive from Wailea. 

Our second favorite place in Maui was Spago.  The Spicy Ahi Tuna “Poke” in Sesame-Miso Cones were incredible.  I'll second the vote for Sansei, which has excellent sushi. There's also a wine shop in Kihei called "Who Cut the Cheese", which sells some wonderful Hawaiian goat cheese.  I'd say Kihei is about a 10 minute drive from Wailea.  You'll find a nice variety of places to eat in Kihei.  I haven't eaten at the other places that miulang mentioned, but have heard good things about them.

Have fun.

Hey Duck!

More great ideas...thanks so much. Good to know Kihei is so close.

Spago

Ferraro's

Nick's Fish Market

Kincha

Capische

Pacific Grill

Have fun!

Miulang

Hi Miulang!

Thanks for all the great ideas. Can you tell me about how long the drive from Wailea to the Kihei area is? THANKS

Yes, the drive from Wailea to "downtown" Kihei (I'd say that would be around where Kamaole Beach 1 is) should take you no more than 5-10 minutes, once you avoid all the jaywalking tourists who insist on crossing the street to get to the beach without staying within crosswalks. There's a lot of good food away from the resorts but close enough that you could probably find just about any cuisine you were hankering for...except maybe Portuguese! If you want to avoid all the slow traffic, you could take the Piilani Hwy (the "back" way). It's faster than going through town (@25 mph or less). Just take a left turn at any of the stoplights on Piilani Hwy and you will eventually get back onto Kihei Road, where most of the action is).

The place in Paia that Duck mentions is probably Mama's Fish House (it's actually a little outside of Paia in Kuau, which is a stone's throw from Hookipa Park, where all the parasailers and surfers and windsurfers hang out).

Miulang

Edited by miulang (log)

Yes, it is Mama's Fish House. We were there at night, so we didn't see any parasailers or surfers. Wonderful restaurant.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany