• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Country Ham?

EDIT: Oops. Forgot to mention that we're in Seattle.

My Carolinian boyfriend is on the brink of despair because he can't find southern-style salt cured ham. Apparently, nothing is the same without it.

They have to sell this stuff *somewhere* in town.

Edited by pgtips (log)

I think you are fit to be tied! If you would have posted earlier, I would sent you some mail order sources. You do want it for Christmas? www.newsomscountryham.com is arguably some of the best.

Naw, no hurry! Although I suspect he'd be delighted to find some for New Years Day Hoppin' John.

He's convinced that mail order is the only option (unless he can talk a relative into mailing him a couple of shrinkwrapped slices). I assured him that if a local source exists, someone on egullet would know about it...

Edited by pgtips (log)

mmm don't think you'll find country ham slices at WF or Delaurenti's. At least not the type of country ham I suspect he's thinking of.

You'll have to do mail order. Nothing wrong with that, it keeps for months in the fridge. I like Holloway Hams, they are double smoked and quite good, and have had success ordering from Burger's, Gwaltney and others. He should also check out the Smithfield Hams website, which points to a variety of country ham sites.

Born Free, Now Expensive

mmm don't think you'll find country ham slices at WF or Delaurenti's. At least not the type of country ham I suspect he's thinking of.

You'll have to do mail order. Nothing wrong with that, it keeps for months in the fridge. I like Holloway Hams, they are double smoked and quite good, and have had success ordering from Burger's, Gwaltney and others. He should also check out the Smithfield Hams website, which points to a variety of country ham sites.

Benton's Smoky Mountain Hams would be an excellent choice. All of their pork products are outstanding and you would have a hard time finding a nicer bunch of folks to deal with. I recently enjoyed some of the smoked ham, prepared by Allan Benton his own bad self, and it was truly outstanding.

And they are correct in that it will keep for a very long time. I mean, hell, it's already old when you get it. You know?

Good luck

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...