• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Livingston Center

Kear

They have put up a sign on the corner of Livingston Ave. and Rt10 listing some of the stores going into the new development. I only got a quick look as I went by, but I believe I saw Baumgart's on the sign. Could it be the Chinese Cafe from Englewood? Their website doesn't say anything.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

I hope it's the same restaurant. I was underwhelmed with the list of other stores, except for houseware store Sur La Table. They're putting in a Coldstone Creamery ice cream store with a Marble Slab ice cream store across the street. They went to a lot of effort and expense to build the place, but I'm not sure if the stores will draw people.

I hope it's the same restaurant. I was underwhelmed with the list of other stores, except for houseware store Sur La Table. They're putting in a Coldstone Creamery ice cream store with a Marble Slab ice cream store across the street. They went to a lot of effort and expense to build the place, but I'm not sure if the stores will draw people.

I was also disappointed at the listing of stores.With the price they are asking per square foot,for a restaurant to succeed Livingston residents will have to actually eat "in town".Something it seems they have not been willing to do as every restaurant seems to fail within 5 years or so.Well other than the highly overrated Nero's and Ritz Diner.The chains(Pizzetta)seem to do better than real restaurants.Hopefully,we can get the town center similar to Millburn,or even a small scale Ridgewood.Lord knows they are pumping enough money into it.

There's also a salad restaurant coming in there. I think it will be similar to tossed.

Fresh City will be moving in - as far as restaurants failing in Livingston within 5 years - it seems most have been there a long time - Eppes, Diner, Stretches, Calabria, Nero's and other small places such as pizzeria's and Chinese. Seems most do survive - but certain locations such as the one Pizzeta is in - is always changing (blue dolphin, Blue Moon, etc).

Also, on the second floor in town center there will be a fine dining italian restaurant and a Meditteranean restaurant. It will be difficult for all the restaurants in Livingston to survive since more are being created.

Here's a theory about why new restaurants fail in Livingston: the customers are incredibly tough to please. I say this because I spoke with the owner of Blue Moon and he told me that of his 4 locations, NYC, somewhere in Bergen Co. (Ridgewood?, Englewood?), and Red Bank? (I'm not sure) that the people in Livingston were by far the most difficult to deal with. I think he was glad to sell off the liquor license and move on.

Its curious that places like the Ritz, Eppes, Seymour's all thrive when newer places get held to a much higher standard by the same customers.

Here's a theory about why new restaurants fail in Livingston: the customers are incredibly tough to please. I say this because I spoke with the owner of Blue Moon and he told me that of his 4 locations, NYC, somewhere in Bergen Co. (Ridgewood?, Englewood?), and Red Bank? (I'm not sure) that the people in Livingston were by far the most difficult to deal with. I think he was glad to sell off the liquor license and move on.

Its curious that places like the Ritz, Eppes, Seymour's all thrive when newer places get held to a much higher standard by the same customers.

Livingston is a very tough town - I have been living here most of my life and I own a new restaurant in town. On the most part, I have had good experiences with customers and they provide helpful suggestions to improve (some of the suggestions are off base, but you accept them graciously) I think people in Livingston are accustomed to staying with the "landmark" restaurants and maybe are not ready for change. They get comfortable going to the same restaurants.

As far as the town center, there are stores that already exist in Livingston that are moving to the town center.

I have lived in Livingston for 5 years, but have a business in East Hanover and my biggest customer base is here.I knew what I was getting into when I was looking for a house but decided the school system was worth dealing with the residents.Whenever I tell people I live here they get a shocked look and the usual response of "tough crowd"or how can you deal woth the rudeness of the people in shop rite.Some of my neighbors drive away from Livingston to do their shopping.I think it is the same with restaurants.Livingstonians enjoy being seen at Neros,the Ritz,Eppes and the like,while newer restaurants never get to see the crowds.I am just hoping that if a Really good restaurant takes space in the center that it will be supported so it will have a chance for survival.Zen seems to always be busy and should be since they have the best sushi in this area by far.

gailtm--Which restaurant do you own?

I have lived in the area 9 years and never found the people who shop at Shop Rite to be rude. I actually go out of my way to shop at the Livingston store.

Rosie, I own Cafe Serene in Livingston. I do think the restaurants in the center of town will do well - there will be outdoor dining, which is nice. The center of Livingston has been run down for so long - it needed a renovation. I do think the residents are looking forward to it (except the traffic it might bring).

There are rude people in every town. Most of the customers at our restaurant have been great - (occasionally there have been diffucult ones, but that is the nature of the restaurant business anywhere).