• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exciting new restaurant in Old Downtown OP KS

moosnsqrl

When Society member JoeWest was in town for Thanksgiving, he made me aware of a soon-to-be restaurant on 79th St in the quaint little stretch of old downtown Overland Park that reminds me of Main Street, Smalltown, Anywhere USA (diagonal parking, small shops you know the type). It's the dream of some of his fellow Broadmoor Tech alumni and it has come to fruition. Zeemanb noticed it had appeared on OpenTable and we hope to lunch there next week but an errand in the neighborhood found me there after work last night, and I couldn't resist the siren call. Sorry, Z, but I figured if anyone would understand, you would.

They aren't officially open until Monday, Dec 26 (Boxing Day for those who celebrate it) but had a soft opening for invited guests and (at least 2 uninvited ones :wink:). I was grateful that they allowed me to stay for a drink since I had planned to meet the s.o. there and was unable to reach him to invoke plan B. I started perusing the menu, then taking notes, which drew the attention of Chef Jonathan. After I reassured him I wasn't pirating but rather hoping to share with you, he graciously brought four tapas for us to try.

The coriander-rubbed, seared rare tuna was perfect (and I think mine is darned good, so I don't praise others' lightly). It's served with seaweed salad artfully encased in a fried wonton "bowl." A great start. Next came two dishes: tempura-fried portobello mushrooms with a red chili dipping sauce and [essentially] an Insalata Caprese (they don't call it that) topped with some mache and a balsamic reduction. After a brief debate (s.o. thought the Caprese more delicate than the red chili; I think tempura, unlike revenge, is a dish best-served piping hot) I dove into the shrooms. I had been curious when I saw this on the menu -- I love funghi but these can be tricky because of the large amount of liquid they exude when cooked. Would this work? Would they be cooked but not soggy? In a word, YES. I dissected one trying to figure out how this was accomplished but resorted to asking the Chef, who patiently and lovingly explained how he had performed this miracle. The tempura batter was learned when he worked at Canoe (Atlanta GA).

The Chef noticed that I had my purse-sized S&P mills on the bar and asked about them. I hadn't used them yet, but was getting them out in anticipation of the tomatoes in the Caprese. I felt like a school child admonished for putting ketchup on foie gras, so I promised I would taste first. I did and the S&P went back into their case. It, too, was perfect. He wisely uses Romas, the only decent tomato available this time of year. I can't wait until the OP Farmer's Market is in high gear and heirlooms grace this dish. I was pretty content at this point and the Mediterranean Hummus probably didn't get a fair shake. The texture was spot-on, it was attractively sprinkled with slivered black olives (presumably calamata) and feta crumbles. The pita wedges were fresh and good. I tend to order hummus only at MiddleEastern restos because I like it pretty full-on with garlic and lemon, and I don't blame anyone in a less-specialized environment for not loading it up in deference for those not concerned with repelling vampires.

Entrees include crab cakes (in several forms), teriyaki grilled salmon, KC strip, rosemary dijon pork tenderloin. They also offer sandwiches (a signature burger, pork tender, BLT, turkey avocado club) and appetizers (white bean puree, artichoke spinach dip, chicken/peanut/lettuce wrap, shrimp cocktail, two kinds of wings). Lastly they have a good variety of coffees and some desserts that were tempting even to we who do not typically crave such things (a chocolate sampler and an apple crumble with cinnamon ice cream, among others). I didn't take notes on the wine list but will try to do better on my next visit.

The decor is lovely, using a large salt water aquarium in both the front room and as the only wall of an upholstered bank of tables reminiscent of a "pit group" fashionable in family rooms in my youth. It's very comfy looking and sure to be a highly sought-after perch for the throngs that I am confident will find this place sooner than later. They have some multi-media visuals planned on several flat-screens (and may occasionally succumb to pressure for local sports). And when the heirlooms are in the Caprese, my enjoyment will be enhanced by the al fresco experience afforded by the "garage door" front, which is one of my favorite trends here in the midwest where the weather varies from paradisic to hellish.

So there you have it. While visions of sugar plums are dancing in the heads of others, I will be looking past Christmas in anxious anticipation of another dose of Tonic.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Looking forward to my first visit sometime next week...

Hopefully the service will be better than from what I herd of Chef Bob and his wife's visit last week.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Woo hoo! A restaurant in my area... how exciting!!! :biggrin: I can't wait to try it out! Prices?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Woo hoo!  A restaurant in my area... how exciting!!!  :biggrin:  I can't wait to try it out!  Prices?

The prices are below reasonable. As we were leaving I remarked that I didn't see how they could avoid raising them fairly soon, but I do applaud the effort to keep them down. Some of the tapas and apps are as low as $4 and the most expensive thing, as I recall is the larger of the KC Strips at $20. Their burgers and sandwiches are (again relying on my, um, whaddaya call it, memory) in the $6 range. Each of their sides (which I noted are markedly similar to the list of sides at 40 Sardines) is $2. While that may seem reasonable for 20 cents worth of potatoes or a green vegetable, knowing all of the overhead of a restaurant (rent, payroll, utilities, insurance, linens, breakage...to name but a few), there is really nothing that costs as little as $2.

And, as I thought specifically of you when I read through the desserts, I believe the tour of chocolate is $10 and the apple-crumb thingie with cinnamon ice cream was around $6, so you'll have to give up 3 vegetables to have room -- and money -- for dessert. :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Woo hoo!  A restaurant in my area... how exciting!!!   :biggrin:   I can't wait to try it out!  Prices?

The prices are below reasonable. As we were leaving I remarked that I didn't see how they could avoid raising them fairly soon, but I do applaud the effort to keep them down. Some of the tapas and apps are as low as $4 and the most expensive thing, as I recall is the larger of the KC Strips at $20. Their burgers and sandwiches are (again relying on my, um, whaddaya call it, memory) in the $6 range. Each of their sides (which I noted are markedly similar to the list of sides at 40 Sardines) is $2. While that may seem reasonable for 20 cents worth of potatoes or a green vegetable, knowing all of the overhead of a restaurant (rent, payroll, utilities, insurance, linens, breakage...to name but a few), there is really nothing that costs as little as $2.

And, as I thought specifically of you when I read through the desserts, I believe the tour of chocolate is $10 and the apple-crumb thingie with cinnamon ice cream was around $6, so you'll have to give up 3 vegetables to have room -- and money -- for dessert. :wink:

Excellent! A tour of chocolate?!? I do believe I'm in heaven!!! :wink:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

moosnsqurl.

what wonderful news! a new play area for k.c. eaters! i can't wait to try it...

very recently re-visited 40 sardines and le fou frog (i'll post on that where we first started that discussion). very happy to be in k.c. again.

i think i need to visit 1924 main again soon. will add tonic to the list.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

moosnsqurl.

what wonderful news!  a new play area for k.c. eaters!  i can't wait to try it...

very recently re-visited 40 sardines and le fou frog (i'll post on that where we first started that discussion).  very happy to be in k.c. again.

i think i need to visit 1924 main again soon.  will add tonic to the list.

u.e.

Do visit 1924 Main again! We were there the other night, and thoroughly enjoyed every bit! So much so, that we gave my parents a gift certificate for Christmas so they could try it out too!

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

Found ourselves there again tonight (did I mention the s.o.'s office is but 5 minutes away?) and had some repeat tapas, and some new ones.

First, the errata...the sandwiches and signature burger are more in the $7-9 range...a dollar or two more than first stated but still quite reasonable.

The seared-rare tuna w/seaweed salad remains a solid rec, as does the portobello tempura. Added to my recs are the risotto (the tapa, with candied garlic reduction) and the calamari. With some caveats, the Greek pizza and the chicken-peanut lettuce wrap were viable options...the pizza toppings were good, I'm just a pizza purist and pita is a viable base, but not my personal favorite; the lettuce wrap (like my take on the hummus) was good but my companion expected something Vietnamese-y or Thai-ish, and it was more like (in her words) kung pao chicken. She also added that she would have preferred butter (Boston, bibb) lettuce as the wrap (vs. iceberg). We all agreed that the chili sauce that comes with the portobellos is the best sauce going, and should probably be served with everything...but we're just spicy people).

Still, go, go try it. Give feedback. It's a great place to "be" in old OP.

M.F.K. Fisher

1. sorry, "s.o.'s office?"

2. website (i'll probably find it on google before anyone responds).

u.e.

Couldn't find a website to save my life, so let me know if you do! Did find the address and phone number, however: Tonic 7938 Santa Fe Dr. 913-383-8340.

Curious about the s.o. too!

significant other possibly?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

joiei.

you're bad!! :raz:

is your vaughn quote going to be true this saturday night? :laugh:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

yep, sorry, I thought "s.o." had entered the common vernacular but apparently not.

Tonic does not have a website but they ARE on Open Table, and all of their info can be found there, including the mapquest link for those of you threatening to come from DooDah, Tulsa and points beyond. :wink:

And I find it amusing that the most KC-related activity on this forum took place while I was asleep. In the interest of generating more buzz for our dining scene, I think I'll go take yet-another nap. :hmmm:

And I haven't seen midnight on any day of the year in a very long time. We live on a small lake and there is an island in the middle, ~ 100 yards from our front door. Last year at midnight on NYE (that's New Year's Eve for the chat-and-text-messaging-challenged;-) they apparently had a fireworks display that lasted 10 minutes and we had to be told about it the next morning. Does this mean we've moved beyond middle age?

M.F.K. Fisher

joiei.

you're bad!! :raz:

is your vaughn quote going to be true this saturday night? :laugh:

u.e.

yep, cause I will be working that night to see that about 50 fine friends of my employers have a great time (i am a private chef). I expect that we will be finished somewhere around 1am getting the house back in order. Then I get to go out amongst all the amature drinkers who should be riding in taxi's back home. I do get to sleep in on the 1st.

to jgm, i enjoy visiting in KC. And I highly recommend Bluestem. On my next trip up in March, I will have to check out this place that moonsqrl talks so much about. you know what is really scary, I can get around in certain parts of KC now without a map.

As for DooDah, is that anywhere around Ft Scott? :laugh:

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

joiei.

wow! a private chef - my dream job - wanna swap?

best of luck on impressing your employer's friends!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

As for DooDah,  is that anywhere around Ft Scott?  :laugh:

There I go again, speaking in code. DooDah is (or at least was) a nickname for Wichita (KS).

And I'm going to refrain from commenting on your geographic prowess. :wink:

Good luck with your soiree. I'll be dreaming while you're navigating the drunken slalom. Be careful!

M.F.K. Fisher

I finally made my way to Tonic today... this is kind of exciting because as a young person, you don't really have very many friends opening restaurants or at Chef status.

I've known Jon Dallen for about 4 years now and there's no doubt that he loves food, I thought I ate a lot until I met this guy.

So here goes my photo essay... (as you can tell from my recent posts.. I got a christmas present! I've just gotta figure out how to make better pictures) So I do apologize for the qaulity of the pictures, its kind of dark inside.

samplerplate.jpg

The Chicken Satay with the peanut sauce was over cooked but the sauce was good. The Coriander Crusted Tuna with the Seaweed Salad was amazing, I loved every bite. The Miniature Spring Rolls were awesome, The Tomato Mozzerella Salad was great but I felt it was kind of out of season although the roma tomatoes were pretty nice especially for this time of the year. The Sweet Potato Fritter was tasty, tasted just like a tempura fried sweet potato at a Japanese Restaurant. The Portabello Tempura was great.

crabcakes.jpg

The Crab Cakes look large in this picture but were at a perfect size for tapas. They were spicy and were accompanied with a Napa Cabbage Slaw. The flavors went well from spicy to a "cooling" flavor of the slaw.

chcolatetasting.jpg

I had to get it... I mean come on it says Chocolate Tasting... So this dish was something where Jon got an idea from a Tapas Bar in Atlanta called TWIST. It has Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate Ice Cream, a Chocolate Pudding conconction, Godiva Chocolate Shooter, and a Chocolate Ganache Tart type thing. I really thought the Mousse was well executed, the pudding is delicious, the shooter was a little warm and the chocolate straw thing doesnt really work although it probably isnt suppose to but wouldn't be cool if it did? After a while I got really full on chocolate, its probably better for two than just one person.

Overall the food is good, theres some spots to improve on but hey, what do you expect when the restaurant hasnt even had it's Grand Opening yet. The waitstaff seems inexperienced and lack of any real knowledge about food and hospitality. The bar tenders and managers seem to lack of focus on detail. I wasnt offered a beverage of any kind once while sitting at the bar. My friend who is the hostess actually talked with me a few times asked if I wanted to have a soda or something and then she had to refill it twice. I had to wait a long time for my check and the only reason I got my check was because Jon, asked the manager to go get mine. I was never asked how my food was or asked if I wanted to order anything. The only reason I had service was because Jon knows who I am.

Since when I first got back in town I've had a great time enjoying things I can only have in KC (Since I currently live in Denver)... Ive had Arthur Bryants Burnt Ends open faced sandwich, Town Topic Breakfast, Toasted Subs at KC Toaster, Lunch at 1924Main, Lunch at The American, Dinner at Tonic, Chocolates at Elbows, and now Ive gotta choose a a couple of meals out of City Tavern, Zin, 40 Sardines, and BlueStem ..... oh boy Im so glad my chef sent my check to me in KC!

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

joiei.

wow!  a private chef - my dream job - wanna swap?

best of luck on impressing your employer's friends!

u.e.

I enjoy my job. Life is good.

Since when I first got back in town I've had a great time enjoying things I can only have in KC (Since I currently live in Denver)... Ive had Arthur Bryants Burnt Ends open faced sandwich, Town Topic Breakfast, Toasted Subs at KC Toaster, Lunch at 1924Main, Lunch at The American, Dinner at Tonic, Chocolates at Elbows, and now Ive gotta choose a a couple of meals out of City Tavern, Zin, 40 Sardines, and BlueStem ..... oh boy Im so glad my chef sent my check to me in KC!

Man, you have been busy! Must of been a nice paycheck! :wink:

How was 1924 Main? I'm dying to try the lobster pot pie on the menu this week!

Edited to add: Sorry, just saw your post further on down! I'll go read that now!

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

I'm dying to try the lobster pot pie on the menu this week!

I think the lobster pot pie is at the American. I've had it and found it good, but the mashed potatoes were too "whipped" for me - they kind of dissolved into the sauce.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

jwest.

you have been busy! what restaurant do you work for in denver?

as for your "couple of meals" - i would recommend bluestem, 40 sardines and zin - not necessarily in that order (i just visited 40 sardines this week, my third visit, and it was still a pleaser). all very different experiences, but all very solid. can't speak about city tavern myself... i've avoided it because i've heard mixed reviews... any other egulleters wish to comment on that?

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

as for your "couple of meals" - i would recommend bluestem, 40 sardines and zin - not necessarily in that order (i just visited 40 sardines this week, my third visit, and it was still a pleaser).  all very different experiences, but all very solid.  can't speak about city tavern myself... i've avoided it because i've heard mixed reviews... any other egulleters wish to comment on that?

u.e.

I tried going to City Tavern just now...

They refused to serve me lunch because they stop lunch service at 2:00PM. The time was 1:45 and I looked in the dining room where I could see people with opened up menus, ordering food. Not a very good first impression on my part and it sounds like people are being lazy.

Man, you have been busy! Must of been a nice paycheck! :wink:

How was 1924 Main? I'm dying to try the lobster pot pie on the menu this week!

Edited to add: Sorry, just saw your post further on down! I'll go read that now!

Sometimes I wish it was as nice as you may think but the paycheck is just an added bonus to what really matters and that's doing something you love to do. As far as where I work, the place is called "Restaurant Kevin Taylor's" in Denver, I most recently worked at Adega(Denver) and Frasca(Boulder), both of which I would be more prouder to speak about.