• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best takeout in your New Jersey town...

jhlurie

Butch's Lobster Truck is now in a permanent retail location in Westwood. They have prepared seafood specials and soups daily. Also, Wilkes Deli in Hillsdale has daily specials and above-average deli food, and they deliver. If you like super-giant bagels, Ronnie's in Hillsdale has good sandwiches to order and they also deliver.

Shiki Wok serving all of Essex County and a fair chunk of Bergen County. This place serves delicious, fresh sushi, japanese and chinese food.

The quality of their food with the prompt courteous service makes this one of my favorite take-out go-tos! :smile:

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

I could be wrong but wasn't Ronnies bagels one of the ones on the health reject list that rosie posts from the record? I mix up all these bagel joints.

I've been eyeing butch's it sounds good also I'll have to check that one out and Wilke's if they deliver to me that'd be good too! Thanks menton. If you need to google I'm in 07675 (a bit FAR away from northern Essex county for delivery) :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I could be wrong but wasn't Ronnies bagels one of the ones on the health reject list that rosie posts from the record?  I mix up all these bagel joints.

I've been eyeing butch's it sounds good also I'll have to check that one out and Wilke's if they deliver to me that'd be good too! Thanks menton.  If you need to google I'm in 07675 (a bit FAR away from northern Essex county for delivery)  :laugh:

I know exactly where River Vale is, that's why I recommended places in Westwood and Hillsdale... What's in Northern Essex? :huh:

Where are these places located in cliffside park?

Thanks

While most of us don't usually resort to takeout in a town we don't live in, I think it might serve as kind of a nice long term reference thread for us to list the best takeout food in towns that we are intimately familiar with.  It doesn't literally have to be the town you live in, but it does have to be a town you know well enough to state that your selection is the best in that town.  The restaurant can also do table service, but if so takeout must be a major part of their operation and not some afterthought handled by some third party delivery service.

I'll start with Cliffside Park (located in the extreme southern part of Bergen County), where I currently live.  The two best takeout places are probably Uncle Jo's Fried Chicken and CiA do Sanduiche (a brazilian hamburger joint).  Yup, old fashioned hamburgers and chicken lead the pack in this town, at least for takeout.

I could be wrong but wasn't Ronnies bagels one of the ones on the health reject list that rosie posts from the record?  I mix up all these bagel joints.

I've been eyeing butch's it sounds good also I'll have to check that one out and Wilke's if they deliver to me that'd be good too! Thanks menton.  If you need to google I'm in 07675 (a bit FAR away from northern Essex county for delivery)  :laugh:

I know exactly where River Vale is, that's why I recommended places in Westwood and Hillsdale... What's in Northern Essex? :huh:

Heh I wasn't just replying to you Menton... but tug and others too. Sorry if this confused you. (some folks unlike you and I don't know where River Vale is and mix it up frequently with River Dale which is closer to pompton plains area) :laugh:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Another gourmet deli just opened on Kinderkamack in Emerson, just next to Pimaan Retaurant. Marra's looks beautiful from the outside, featuring "gourmet specialties" and brick oven pizza in the window. They also deliver. Any further input on this place would be nice.

Another gourmet deli just opened on Kinderkamack in Emerson, just next to Pimaan Retaurant.  Marra's looks beautiful from the outside, featuring "gourmet specialties" and brick oven pizza in the window.  They also deliver.  Any further input on this place would be nice.

It is a takeout place that is owned by Marra's in Ridgewood. They have lots of pasta and take out...all Italian. They are right down the street from my little Joint, Picnic. I've stopped for takeout on my way home when I am out of stuff at my place...I haven't been disappointed...

Today I had take-out from my favorite place again... and I wish I had gotten 2 of each sandwich instead of one for lunch and one for supper!

http://www.picniccaterers.com/

I had the:

Obscene cheesesteak - Our version is: rare filet mignon, yellow and orange peppers, grilled red onions, Tillamook cheddar cheese and garlic butter on homemade baguette. Can't beat it. $8.50

They are right, you can't beat it.... it smells and tastes so fine my tastebuds are discoing! (pointing up, pointing down, turning around, clapping... LOL!)

YUM! :wub:

If you live near Paramus, Woodcliff lake or near me in River Vale you gotta stop in there for some fine food and sandwiches and the prices are all under 5.00 and 10.00 for almost all of them. Man, maybe I should order 2 delivered for supper tonight and lunch and supper tomorrow! Nah, I'd have to fight my dogs to eat!

I could be wrong but wasn't Ronnies bagels one of the ones on the health reject list that rosie posts from the record? 

Although the health checks are a VERY valuable tool, just being mentioned once for a conitional is no reason to dismiss a place.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Where are these places located in cliffside park? 

Thanks

While most of us don't usually resort to takeout in a town we don't live in, I think it might serve as kind of a nice long term reference thread for us to list the best takeout food in towns that we are intimately familiar with.  It doesn't literally have to be the town you live in, but it does have to be a town you know well enough to state that your selection is the best in that town.  The restaurant can also do table service, but if so takeout must be a major part of their operation and not some afterthought handled by some third party delivery service.

I'll start with Cliffside Park (located in the extreme southern part of Bergen County), where I currently live.  The two best takeout places are probably Uncle Jo's Fried Chicken and CiA do Sanduiche (a brazilian hamburger joint).  Yup, old fashioned hamburgers and chicken lead the pack in this town, at least for takeout.

Website for Uncle Jo's, which includes the menu, phone and address info: http://www.unclejoschicken.com/

Contact info for CiA do Sanduiche: http://www.insiderpages.com/profiles/CiaDo...QtyS3LsTimhH3w/

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

We're in Jersey City and can order from many (not all) Hoboken restaurants. In heavy rotation right now are Casual Thai for delivery and Fillipo's (pizza/pasta) for pick up. In Jersey City, Wild Fusion is good for when my eldest daughter wants sushi, and everyone else wants Chinese or Thai, and Cinco de Mayo for Mexican. For pick up in Jersey City we often get rice and beans and roast pork from a place on 384 Central, near Bowers. Hoboken Cottage (Chinese), Satay (Malaysian), and picking up Vietnamese in Jersey City (Newark Ave) have been popular with us in the recent past.

I noticed the Whole Foods mention, my kids looove eating at Whole Foods, (and Wegmans when we make it there) but I don't/can't shop there regularly.

Gee, now that you bring up Wegman's I'm curious just how good their prepared food is. Since the closest one to me is 40 miles, I've only been to one in the evening well after their stations are closed. Looked promising, though. Lots of interesting choices.

Any comments on Wegman's "Food Court"?

Yeah--here's my comment: GO. :laugh:

I've had everything from Indian and Chinese food from the hot buffet to ribs from the deli (which they'll put in a microwaveable container), and it's always delicious! People who work in corporate buildings near the Woodbridge location tell me it's their go-to for lunch, esp since they have a nice 'dining room' upstairs. You can take your tray upstairs, heat stuff up in the microwave if you didn't get hot food, and sit up there without realizing you're in a supermarket.

OH, to have one in NORTHERN NJ... :sad:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Gee, now that you bring up Wegman's I'm curious just how good their prepared food is.  Since the closest one to me is 40 miles,  I've only been to one in the evening well after their stations are closed.  Looked promising, though.  Lots of interesting choices. 

I've been to the one in Allentown...some of their sandwiches are terrific. Their soups taste a bit like they are commisary, which, my guess is, they are. Lots of interesting choices for entrees. Their fried foods don't love a reheat; veggies are good. Well worth a visit. Their produce department rocks my world. White truffles, black truffles, many interesting produce items that you can't find retail. Cheese department, good, albeit slightly overpriced. Breads, exceptional. Deli, average.

Oh -- I would love to have a Wegman's somewhere around here. I've been to the one in the Princeton area -- but it is a schlep from my neck of the woods.

Would it be wrong for me to say that my favorite take out place is Amazing Hot Dog? :wink:

Shiki Wok serving all of Essex County and a fair chunk of Bergen County.  This place serves delicious, fresh sushi, japanese and chinese food.

The quality of their food with the prompt courteous service makes this one of my favorite take-out go-tos! :smile:

i ordered sushi here once and was very unimpressed. i do, however, recommend Zen Sushi.

MMmmMMmm Whole foods take out is superb!

Also, someone mentioned Marra's the place in Emerson IMHO is a bit overpriced for what they have... some of it is nice but they could cut their prices by 25% and have 2x as many customers at least!

I find the least expensive produce (I pinch pennies till they yell out "honest abe!") I found is at Han ah Rheum's (spelling? - sorry!) and also King Fong's you can really find a bargain there, now and then and I'm really good at finding interesting and new sauces for my chinese buns and stuff! Another... ok well, the closest to my home and the best up this way is the Apple Tree Market on the top of Kinderkamack Road in Montvale about 1/8 mi from the NY border!

I wish more restaurants dabbled with things like Hoisin sauce and Char Siu Bao sauce and Victoria's product line too (such as their salsa and chipolte salsa's!) it's nice to get away from the standards of mayo, mustard, variations on both and the "american standards" ketchup, bbq etc.

I personally like this mix when "dipping" or basting on the bbq - strange but good 1 part ketchup 1 part bbq sauce (preferably honey or onion or garlic flavored) 1/8 to 1/2 part mustard and 1/2 or 3/8 part mayo - mixed to flavor or personal taste. Sort of like russian dressing with a kick but on the sweet side.

Shiki Wok serving all of Essex County and a fair chunk of Bergen County. 

According to the website, they do NOT serve ALL of Essex County.. maybe half of it... but they do not serve WO, MW, SO, Livingston, Millburn, etc. Too bad, because I was hoping to order from them.

I was wondering about this. They are located in Bloomfield on Broad St. They will deliver to Caldwell, but not West Orange?

Heck, they'll deliver to Kearny and Moonachie, but not Livingston?

I have to think that the website is in error. This just doesn't make any sense.

If you really wanted to order from them, I'd call and ask.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 1 month later...
Gee, now that you bring up Wegman's I'm curious just how good their prepared food is.  Since the closest one to me is 40 miles,  I've only been to one in the evening well after their stations are closed.  Looked promising, though.  Lots of interesting choices. 

Wegmans "take out" or eat in is fairly high level. Consistently you get good bang for the buck, choices galore prepared fresh with quality ingredients.

While their Chinese 'bar', pizza and roasted chickens are ordinary, the rest of their selection is fairly high level. They offer VERY good subs, more 'upscale' Euro type sandwhiches on baguets, fresh sushi is prepared as you wait and their 'hot fare' is always an excellent bargin. For about 10 bucks (give or take a couplebucks) you get a main dish (Pork loin, potato crusted talapia, french dips to name a few) and 2 side dishes (usually a varied selection of 3 or 4 vegetables or salads). Their soups are also well done.

Being from Central Jersey, the land of strip malls and chain stores, Wegmans is a stand-out for a quick take out. It hits on quality, choice and price. I wouldn't drive 40 miles to sample it, but if you find yourself passing bye, give it a try.

Edited by crusio's (log)

• 1 month later...

In Nutley, Stephanie's Barbecue. 8 Centre Street. Portugese BBQ...A little diner on the corner that has been many things is now Stepanies. We ate in, but there was a steady stream of take out orders. My clients ate here, and were thrilled with the ribs and the shrimp in garlic sauce. We ordered the bbq chicken, and rice and beans. It was good, and perfect for take out. 11.00 for a whole chicken and side.

Very interesting to hear about Stephanie's, as there has been so little mentioned about the place here on eG. Short discussion here. It's all of a mile from where I live...may have to try it, even though I'm officially spoiled by Front Street Smokehouse now.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."