• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

burger and a beer. maybe some chicken wings

tommy

Been there often... I love that place and their home-style butter with either sundried tomatoes or roasted red peppers in it is tasty on their hot buns! Whenver I have a chance I go there I've even taken a "LONG" lunch there a few times when I know I won't get caught and it's a particularly lovely afternoon! Thanks. :wub::wub::wub: I LOVE that place... I just need more of a "burger joint" that's not fast-food and something I can easily wobble/hobble into and out of pretty fast if I take my normal lunch break between calls and sharpening my spear. :biggrin:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I have heard good things about Roxannes in Mahwah where Nobody's Inn was on Franklin Tpk

T

Roxanne's is a very nice pub style atmosphere, brick oven pizza , nice big salads, good pastas, and sandwiches. Try it you'll like it.

Nice bar...

where?  what's wrong with bergen county?  why can't i find a decent bar/restaurant with decent food and a decent martini?

i've had to resort to Arthur's in Emerson, which is just only so good. 

ABG has gone downhill.

The Office in Ridgewood.  c'mon.

Smith Brothers in Ridgewood is horrible.

The Inn in Glen Rock is tiny and horrible.

if i could take the Blue Smoke model and make it happen in bergen i'd be a happy guy.  probably a rich one too.  i can understand that there's maybe not that big of a demand for a decent restaurant with a bar in bergen, but isn't there *something*?!?!

what gives?  any suggestions?

How about Houston's...I 'm not sure how their martini's are, and I know their wine portion is shabby but I love their food!!

From the freshest fish (i love the fish sandwich) to the ribs, to the salads and I've only had the veggie burger, its the best food around. I'm sure the hamburgers are good . All their meats, fish and veggies are top quality. Even their tomatoes are big red beefsteaks. And that hot fudge sundae for dessert is like nothing I've ever had! Oh, and the sides, cous cous like no other, fries like they should be everywhere etc etc etc.

Only prob, hard to get in and they don't take res...

I went to Iron Horse once in 12 years living up this way and was not really impressed. Houston is a bit far for a quick lunch for me though I have been known to stretch lunch 15 minutes by going to Indian Chef (wink/wink) but I know I can stroll in and out of there pretty fast. My fallback positions are ordering from delivery places nearby. I was really looking for something as close as possible to westwood (sorry but not Iron Horse) something newer or different but not your typical lunch fare.

I used to love Boulevard Grille when I worked in Mahwah because it's decor was "peaceful" when soloing for lunch and I loved their sweet potato fries which they served me with anything I ordered after they got to know me. :cool: I just wish they were closer to the Montvale / Pearl River area.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Well, you would might go for Iron Horse in Westwood, although I think the place is old and smelly.  But they still fill the place up almost 7 nights a week, somehow...

Rachel and I went to the Iron Horse last night for the first time and we didn't find it smelly at all. In fact, we both had their burgers (which are unique in that they are stuffed with the cheese instead of melted on top) and they were really good and they come with great fries and onion rings. Nice French onion soup too.

Fink told us they make great potato skins, but we didn't try them -- after a burger and soup there you get pretty full. if you order the "Bedrock" burger its a full 12 ounces.

Definitely a place we'll be going back to for our burger fix.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hello all, been a while!

To Tommy's point, there are NO great burger and martini joints in Northern Bergen.

So, yes, we need to think outside the bun, box or whatever....

May I offer Vertigo in Nyack as a possibilty?

http://www.vertigonyack.com

Great Burger, but BYOB.....

Cafe Amici in Wyckoff

Mahwah Bar & Grill?? It's been a while.....(same family as AB&G)

now that I think of it....

try "Brady's at the Station" (Formerly The Trackside for a loooonnnng time)

in Ramsey....very good burgers, two good bars, very clean, very nice atmosphere and usually pretty decent bartenders.

http://www.bradysstation.com/home

Finally....if it's Martini and wings try Ireland's in Suffern (burgers might be good there too but can't say I have tried!)

or Bishop's in Northvale. (is it still around?)

Hope that helps!

Rob

Edited by Hikeleader (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been to any of these places in a while but they come to mind for the burger and beer.

Davey's Locker in Montvale, NJ

http://www.daveyspub.com/

Burkes on Old Hook in Westwood (The head bartender from Davey's opened his own place)

65 Old Hook Rd, Westwood, NJ 07675

The Porterhouse in Montvale, NJ

http://www.porterhouseusa.com/contact.html

I have heard good things about Roxannes in Mahwah where Nobody's Inn was on Franklin Tpk

Roxanne's is a very nice pub style atmosphere, brick oven pizza , nice big salads, good pastas, and sandwiches. Try it you'll like it.

Nice bar...

yeah, hey, lutece and rooftop1000, roxanne's is pretty good for sure...but it DOESN'T SERVER A FRIGGIN HAMBURGER!!! :laugh: that's ok, i guess i didn't need it anyway. i had a fun time with my heinkeken and chicken wings, thinking about where i was going to go for a burger afterwards.

the "brick oven" is a gas-fired, and likely ceramic-lined oven. the pizza is in the style of Brooklyn's (hackensack, ridgewood, edgewater), and could use a bit more salt and flavor (they're very easy on the sauce, the fresh mozz has little to no flavor, and the crust is just OK, although it has nice blistering on the bottom).

our server was top-notch. nice and attentive.

now if they could just get a hamburger on the menu...

regardless, after months/years of research, i see a clear business opportunity. and beef shoulder and brisket ain't too expensive.

edit: ramapo valley brewery, if i'm thinking it's where it was, is no more.

also, i saw a place called "ole ole", but then right above it about a block was a more interesting looking mexican place. anyone know the name? and then ireland's was at the end of the block if i'm putting 2 and 2 together correctly. nice area right there. i like it.

Edited by tommy (log)

Okay don't laugh at me... but I had a great burger at Coach Diner on Rt 4 once upon a time... I SAID... Don't LAUGH! :raz:

I like the burger (have certainly had the beer, can't remark on their martinis) at Finnigan's Pub in Westwood. Great shepherds pie and other bar food as well. Fun place, casual.

When I was on a burger kick I used to occasionally frequent Finnigan's for their cheeseburger. Good answer Picnic Chef. I think this place fits the criteria although I can't comment on the drinks other than to say that they do have them.

"edit: ramapo valley brewery, if i'm thinking it's where it was, is no more.

also, i saw a place called "ole ole", but then right above it about a block was a more interesting looking mexican place. anyone know the name? and then ireland's was at the end of the block if i'm putting 2 and 2 together correctly. nice area right there. i like it."

Yes, you are correct about the brewery being no more. And Ole Ole please don't waste your time on. Bad food and more importantly, cannot make a margarita right :blink:

And Ireland's has some decent food. They used to have 15 cent wings on Wednesday nights. Not sure if they still do....

• 3 months later...

well, it's not bergen county, but it's not all that far if you're out and about.

dbrociner has been speaking highly of Copeland in Mo-town. specifically, the burger and eating that burger at the bar. dbroc waxes on the thing here.

so last night i took the 30 minute ride out to Mo-town to meet with dbroc and see for myself. he was right. this is a very, very good burger. highly recommended.

now, if they could just get rid of all of the hotel guests and lackluster bartenders, they'd be onto something.

well, it's not bergen county, but it's not all that far if you're out and about.

dbrociner has been speaking highly of Copeland in Mo-town.  specifically, the burger and eating that burger at the bar.  dbroc waxes on the thing here.

so last night i took the 30 minute ride out to Mo-town to meet with dbroc and see for myself.  he was right.  this is a very, very good burger.  highly recommended. 

now, if they could just get rid of all of the hotel guests and lackluster bartenders, they'd be onto something.

For you to recommend a burger is high praise!

Morristown is a decent area with several good spots for a beer. I can't recommend any for burgers and wings though. I'll be sure to check out Copeland.

Something tells me that getting rid of the hotel guests at a hotel bar might not be too god for business... :hmmm:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Something tells me that getting rid of the hotel guests at a hotel bar might not be too god for business... :hmmm:

Not golfers....gophers!

the burger was quite something. nice and big, too, but not too big. i really don't know how they got it to cook so evenly and perfectly, given its thickness.

Not golfers....gophers!

the burger was quite something.  nice and big, too, but not too big.  i really don't know how they got it to cook so evenly and perfectly, given its thickness.

It must have been their desire to please me, their most regular customer. Yeah, right.

Glad you liked the burger. My reputation saved. BTW, I also speak highly of the "firecracker calamari" at An American Grill. But thats a story for a different thread, a different venu even.

Not golfers....gophers!

the burger was quite something.  nice and big, too, but not too big.  i really don't know how they got it to cook so evenly and perfectly, given its thickness.

It must have been their desire to please me, their most regular customer. Yeah, right.

the only person to even acknowledge you was the guy who *wasn't* serving us. and the only one to have a pulse as far as i could tell. just our luck.

i should add that the fries were very good as well.

we should hit AAG for them calamari. do you know if Lou serves any sparkling wine by the glass? bubbles and fried: mmmmmm...

Not golfers....gophers!

the only person to even acknowledge you was the guy who *wasn't* serving us. and the only one to have a pulse as far as i could tell. just our luck.

i should add that the fries were very good as well.

we should hit AAG for them calamari. do you know if Lou serves any sparkling wine by the glass? bubbles and fried: mmmmmm...

The firecracker calamari is great stuff. I don't get to AAG often due to distance, but it's a pretty regular appetizer.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

The firecracker calamari is great stuff.  I don't get to AAG often due to distance, but it's a pretty regular appetizer.

If Tommy can drive from Ridgewood for the Copeland burger then surely you can tear yourself away from the nitrix and get up to AAG more often. :biggrin:

God, did I really just type that?

Shit, I would have joined you for the burger if I knew you two were in the area. As far as bubbly, with a little notice of what you'd like to drink, I'd get it. Never met a drink i didn't like.

Edited by Lreda (log)