• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

burger and a beer. maybe some chicken wings

tommy

where? what's wrong with bergen county? why can't i find a decent bar/restaurant with decent food and a decent martini?

i've had to resort to Arthur's in Emerson, which is just only so good.

ABG has gone downhill.

The Office in Ridgewood. c'mon.

Smith Brothers in Ridgewood is horrible.

The Inn in Glen Rock is tiny and horrible.

if i could take the Blue Smoke model and make it happen in bergen i'd be a happy guy. probably a rich one too. i can understand that there's maybe not that big of a demand for a decent restaurant with a bar in bergen, but isn't there *something*?!?!

what gives? any suggestions?

I have heard good things about Roxannes in Mahwah where Nobody's Inn was on Franklin Tpk

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

where?  what's wrong with bergen county?  why can't i find a decent bar/restaurant with decent food and a decent martini?

i've had to resort to Arthur's in Emerson, which is just only so good. 

ABG has gone downhill.

The Office in Ridgewood.  c'mon.

Smith Brothers in Ridgewood is horrible.

The Inn in Glen Rock is tiny and horrible.

if i could take the Blue Smoke model and make it happen in bergen i'd be a happy guy.  probably a rich one too.  i can understand that there's maybe not that big of a demand for a decent restaurant with a bar in bergen, but isn't there *something*?!?!

what gives?  any suggestions?

What about the Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley? Have never been, but heard good things..

Napa Valley Grille, in the Garden State Plaza. Not great, but acceptable for a burger and an alcoholic beverage. Nice bar area.

Haven't been in years, don't know if Biagio's on Paramus Rd is good for this-- was decent many years ago.

I know of a couple of others, but they are in the NE part of the county, not in your 'hood.

Boulevard Grill(e?) in Mahwah on MacArthur Blvd is great for a burger and I hear Iron Horse (Ugh, I don't like that place much though)... I'm not sure if they serve liquor you may want to call and tell Denise at Boulevard, that Stacey says HI!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

verbena in hasbrouck heights?

You dont want to go ANYWHERE near this place. Check the health checks thread..you will see why.

Also, I know people who have gone there and they said it was horrid.

i take it you've never been there?

shortway's has always intrigued me. now it's on the list!

Boulevard Grill(e?) in Mahwah on MacArthur Blvd is great for a burger and I hear Iron Horse (Ugh, I don't like that place much though)... I'm not sure if they serve liquor you may want to call and tell Denise at Boulevard, that Stacey says HI!

boulevard grill is BYO, according to their website. :sad:

I have been there. There is a comedy club next door to it (Banana's?) and we sat at the bar before the show. Food was Sysco quality and the drinks were not good.

I mentioned that I knew other people who had gone there because they had been there more recently than I.

You dont want to go ANYWHERE near this place. Check the health checks thread..you will see why.

Check out the Barn. Marge Shortway still works there every day at 87. When she's not in the kitchen she sits at the bar with a drink and a smoke.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Check out the Barn. Marge Shortway still works there every day at 87. When she's not in the kitchen she sits at the bar with a drink and a smoke.

Geeze I havent been there since I was about 18..shhhhhh

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...
Napa Valley Grille, in the Garden State Plaza.  Not great, but acceptable for a burger and an alcoholic beverage.  Nice bar area.

bingo. had a very acceptable burger at NVG. this might turn into my go-to place for a burger and red wine. thanks for the tip.

i stopped at shortway's for some drinks the other night. a pleasant enough place, but it doesn't look like the type of place i'd eat at. nice big bar, though.

Actually for a friendly place with great food try Kirker's in Hawthorne. German food real REAL good quality the decor is dated! (think "Flashback" 50's or so!) LOL and the owner is a big fella with superb food and I strongly recommend (even for us non-beer drinkers) the Weis beer it is really interesting in taste.

P.S. you MUST have their home-made strudel it is out of this world (ala mode!) :wub:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Actually for a friendly place with great food try Kirker's in Hawthorne.  German food real REAL good quality the decor is dated! (think "Flashback" 50's or so!) LOL and the owner is a big fella with superb food and I strongly recommend (even for us non-beer drinkers) the Weis beer it is really interesting in taste. 

P.S. you MUST have their home-made strudel it is out of this world (ala mode!)  :wub:

the "decor" at the kirker was in, out, in, and out again before they even noticed. :biggrin:

if the burger is notable, though, i'll give it a shot.

passaic recs are fine, especially if they're in the northern part. i'm still allowed in Passaic, as far as i know. certain parts of Hudson probably don't want to see me, however.

the Franklin Steakhouse is my go-to place for a burger and beer, but they're always so crowded. i have a feeling that the guy is already rolling in cash, but someone should approach him about opening another 2 or 3.

i returned to the Napa Valley Grill(e?). this time the burger was just OK. but, the burger, coupled with the wine, which is served it appropriate temps, is enough to get me to return.

I'm not a big meat eater myself and my tastes run bizarre when I do eat meat. I prefer hubby's home-made bison (or is that buffalo?) burgers or McD's or white castles... (go figure!) I haven't found any good "burger" joints up this way around paramus or hackensack or points north if you know of any I can run into for a solo lunch or a solo supper please let me know. Hubby's on a "I'll make what I want to eat" kick so it's everyone to themselves... so I'm open for anything interesting or different where soloing doesn't make me feel funny. :cool:

I'm not a big meat eater myself and my tastes run bizarre when I do eat meat.  I prefer hubby's home-made bison (or is that buffalo?) burgers or McD's or white castles... (go figure!)  I haven't found any good "burger" joints up this way around paramus or hackensack or points north if you know of any I can run into for a solo lunch or a solo supper please let me know.  Hubby's on a "I'll make what I want to eat" kick so it's everyone to themselves... so I'm open for anything interesting or different where soloing doesn't make me feel funny.  :cool:

One of the better "joints" I've found in this area is the River Club, on the water in Nyack. A really nice homey nautical room, built right out on a terrace over the water. Highlight is the rowboat suspended from the ceiling reading "Ocean Grove, NJ" Very good heat in the room at this time of year, in better weather they open it all up. Nice eclectic menu. Lots of burgers, omelets, seafood, sandwiches, salads. Good for a meal or a pick me up. Good wines by the glass as well. Just a nice homey place for a less serious meal. Very friendly staff. Web Site: http://www.nyackriverclub.net/

River Club

11 Burd St (right on the river)

Nyack

845-358-0220