• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omitted ingredients in Korova cookies

jgm

There's probably no rescuing this situation. Last night, I made 3 batches of Korova cookies, individually. [Korova cookies are a dense chocolate cookie rolled into a long cylinder and cut --think slice 'n' bake.] After I finished all 3 batches, and had them all in one bag in the refrigerator, I realized I'd left the 1/2 teaspoon of fleur de sel, as well as 1 teaspoon of vanilla, out of 2 of the batches. I have 6 logs of cookie dough, and I don't know which batch is which.

There's always the possibility that I could taste the dough and tell which had salt and which didn't. If so, is there any way I can get the salt and vanilla in the other two batches, minimally "waking up" the gluten in the flour? This recipe calls for minimal mixing once the flour is added, to minimize gluten production.

Or should I just bake them all off and see what happens? They're not going to be gifts now, so if they don't turn out, I can just toss them.

Fix them? Bake as is? Ideas? Help!

Hmmmm...I guess you could push in the salt by kneading with minimal damage. Or you could to the old slice, sprinkle with salt and bake...give them an appropriate name, make up something fancy, and you are golden.

I wouldn't bother with the vanilla. We always had it drilled into us in Culinary School that if you have used good quality chocolate, there is no need for vanilla. The only reason anyone would add vanilla to a chocolate recipe would be to cover up the use of an inferior product. I have always followed that principal and never use vanilla...it masks the beauty of the chocolate. But that's me. You might want to criss cross them with vanilla icing for that vanilla hit.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I think they would be just fine without the vanilla. As for salt, I'd sprinkle a little on top of each of the unsalted rolls (taste and trust me, you'll be able to tell which is which). If anything it'll add some textural interest and the salt all at the same time.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Not to deter you... but I would be scared that sprinkling salt would be too strong, or obvious I guess. I was thinking of more subtle ways of working a bit of salt in like sandwiching or icing the cookies with a salty caramel or peanutbutter. Or maybe I'm overthinking it, I do have that tendency

The beauty of this cookie is the contrast it has with sweet and salt. So if you admit the salt your taking the yang out or your ying & yang.

It's the sweet and salty factor that make this a good cookie, in my opinion. If you took away the salt.............for me, it would be no better then any ole cookie.

I think you'll be able to taste which two recipes are missing the salt by tasting from all three samples. I'd bring my batter up to room temp. and adding in the missing ingredients. ...adding the salt on top of the cookie wouldn't be objectional to me at all....but theres alot of people that wouldn't like it that way.

Not to deter you... but I would be scared that sprinkling salt would be too strong, or obvious I guess. I was thinking of more subtle ways of working a bit of salt in like sandwiching or icing the cookies with a salty caramel or peanutbutter. Or maybe I'm overthinking it, I do have that tendency

I think the salty caramel idea is a great one! I love caramel + salt combos... my favorite flavor of an ice cream concrete is one with caramel and pretzels in it.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert