• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kir Royales

OnigiriFB

I would just stick with any moderate champange or sparking wine. Given you are adding kir to it, it would be a waste to use a expensive bottle like veuve clicquot.

I usually look for a nice $12-15 bottle, for my tastes something brut works well with the kir.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Definitely avoid expensive Champagne (which term, by the way, should be reserved only for the sparkling wine made in France's Champagne region). Look instead for an affordable Champagne-method sparkling wine from France (Crémant de Bourgogne, Crémant d'Alsace, Blanquette de Limoux, for example), Spain (aka cava; Freixenet is a major producer whose products are widely available), California (Mumm Napa, Chandon, Roederer Estate, Anderson, Argyle, Iron Horse, etc.), New Mexico (Gruet), etc. Since crème de cassis is already sweet, the sparkler should be dry unless you're looking to approximate soda pop. In my experience, most Asti Spumante (a muscat-based sparkling wine from NE Italy) isn't.

Find something inexpensive ($7-10 should do you fine for this purpose) that is marked Brut. Once you add the cassis (or Chambord if you prefer) the drink will get much sweeter. Any of the suggestions Carswell made should be fine. I'd personally go for something French and sparkly that isn't Champagne proper like the Cremant or Blanquette. They tend to have a higher acidity than some of the other choices and balance better with the sweet liqueur.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If you want to go Italian, try some Prosecco not Asti.

Sparkling hard apple ciders are also nice (Kir Breton).

But, since it is New Year's Eve, I might stick with a reasonable champagne.

Don't go too cheap though. A catering company I worked for many, many years ago always served J. Roget. It's just awful stuff. We called it "J Rotgot". Of course that didn't keep us from sampling when no one was looking...

I've read N. Feuillatte is a good bargain for French champagne. Have yet to try it.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll keep in mind to buy brut. Katie we were actually thinking of using chambord as she wants to add a fresh raspberry to the bottom of the glass.  :smile:

That's nice! Sounds like an attractive looking, as well as tasting cocktail.

Seriously, don't spend too much money on a sparkling wine you intend to adulterate with a sweet liqueur. It's a waste of money. Kind of like using the really expensive gin or vodka for a Bloody Mary instead of a martini. I've most certainly served that J.Roget myself as a mixer for mimosas or kir royales. It's not the best choice at that price point on it's own, but once you've mixed it it's just fine. :she duck.gif and runs:

Most low end sparkling wines that are dry will be fine once you add the liqueur of choice to it. I wouldn't try and save money on the liqueur since that will definitely make a difference in the taste of your final cocktail. Use real Chambord - a little goes a long way - not Razzmatazz or something like that. Buy decent Creme de Cassis, an imported one like Marie Brizard if you can find it. That will make the difference.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I've most certainly served that J.Roget myself as a mixer for mimosas or kir royales.  It's not the best choice at that price point on it's own, but once you've mixed it it's just fine. :she duck.gif and runs:

Yeah, for mixing, I suppose it might be OK, especially at that $2 a bottle price point. :raz: Anyhoo, at home, I like to get something I don't mind drinking by itself, if folks get tired of adding the liqueur, or there's some leftover after everyone has left. J. Roget doesn't fill that bill.

YMMV

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I've most certainly served that J.Roget myself as a mixer for mimosas or kir royales.  It's not the best choice at that price point on it's own, but once you've mixed it it's just fine. :she duck.gif and runs:

Yeah, for mixing, I suppose it might be OK, especially at that $2 a bottle price point. :raz: Anyhoo, at home, I like to get something I don't mind drinking by itself, if folks get tired of adding the liqueur, or there's some leftover after everyone has left. J. Roget doesn't fill that bill.

YMMV

I'm purchasing for a restaurant, so I'm looking for good bang-for-the-buck when serving a few cases of this stuff every Sunday brunch. Definitely not what I'd buy for at home recreational use, but I suppose I should have qualified more in my original post.

J. Roget is considerably more expensive than $2 in PA. More like $5.30/bottle with no break on a case.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I don't think I've seen J Roget around here. Is it anything like Ballantine?  :wacko:

You don't mean that old-timey heinous beer do you? :blink:

J. Roget is cheap French brut. There is I'm certain, some variant on the same theme that's available in your area. Since I don't know where you are I can't really suggest a better alternative.

One way to find out what the inexpensive bubbly in your area is, is to go to the restaurant that serves the most popular brunch and find out what they're mixing their mimosas with. That is likely to be your best bargain choice that is sold in your area.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!