• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem with Cupcake Frosting

ALTAF

Today i tried a cup cake recipe with a butter-cream chesse frosting. i followed the instraction carfully: to beat the butter first 3 minutes until it becomes soft, then to add the cream chesse and beat, then add vanilla....(know here's when the problems started). After i add the last ingredient (the confectioners sugar) it frosting was not smooth as the author explained....my frosting looked crudel.

What might went wrong.? i have a suspetion in one of the following:

cream chesse, i used low fat

confectioners sugar, i did not sifted it because the author did not specify.

Any thoughts?

Today i tried a cup cake recipe with a butter-cream chesse frosting.  i followed the instraction carfully: to beat the butter first 3 minutes until it becomes soft, then to add the cream chesse and beat, then add vanilla....(know here's when the problems started). After i add the last ingredient (the confectioners sugar) it frosting was not smooth as the author explained....my frosting looked crudel.

What might went wrong.? i have a suspetion in one of the following:

cream chesse, i used low fat

confectioners sugar, i did not sifted it because the author did not specify.

Any thoughts?

I've had that happen if my cream cheese was too cold.

Was the cream cheese at room temperature? Or was it cold when you beat it into the beaten butter? If it was cold, that could be a problem. Hope this helps.

editing to add: middydd and I must have posted at around the same time!

Edited by Shannon_Elise (log)

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

any time you work in a mixer, it is important to scrape the sides of the bowl down with a rubber spatula several times during mixing. it will help bring all the ingredients together. i have yet to meet a mixer that can reach every section of the mixer perfectly!

I had that problem with making a cheesecake when I didn't allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature. I just thought about ten minutes on the counter would be enough, but no, I had ugly lumps. Anyway, I learned from it and next time, I will check and DOUBLE CHECK.

Hope you get better results next time!

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.