• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cordorniu Winery, Barcelona Spain?

oggi

I will be on my way to Barcelona Spain the first week of January for a work event. One of the company sponsored events will be a visit to a winery - Cordorniu Winery. This works well into my plans, because I've long been a fan of robust reds that come out of Spain - but unfortunately, my knowledge of this winery is minimal ** (well, actually non-existent). Their Website

I'd love to pick up a few bottles, and I'm sure that the tasting will certainly guide me to those that I may be interested in...but...

Anything I may want to know before going? Any hidden gems that I must be sure to at least get a taste of?

Any comments, suggestions, or warnings :smile: would be greatly appreciated.

*edited to proclaim realization that cava is the premier product out of this region*

Edited by oggi (log)

</Oggi>

"coffee should be black as Hell, strong as death and sweet as love" - Turkish Proverb

Codorniu (notice the spelling) is one of the two largest producers of cava, a sparkling wine produced in Spain using the Champenoise methods but with different kind of grapes than the used in Champagne. Though you may find excellent cavas, I usually prefer champagne.

The other producer, btw, is Freixenet. I believe you can find Freixenet over the States.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

• 2 weeks later...

No real gems or hidden diamonds in the rough there but there are some great small producers that I can tell you about that are not usually open to the public. PM me and I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG