• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant ramen additions

WolfChef

The other topic currently going about serving size of ramen made me wonder what other people add to ramen to personalize it.

I myself prefer thin sliced green onions added just at the end of the 3 minute "cooking" phase.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

The other topic currently going about serving size of ramen made me wonder what other people add to ramen to personalize it. 

I myself prefer thin sliced green onions added just at the end of the 3 minute "cooking" phase.

Good topic choice WolfChef. I like to crumble dried chinese mushrooms into the bowl, a dollop of Sriracha, green onions and maybe a bit of tom yum soup base. I usually toss the packet that's included. I also swirl a scrambled egg into it.

some combination of:

Sriracha, scallion, mushrooms, diced carrot, pureed ginger, garlic, snow peas, egg, tofu, seared pork/beef, jalapenos, lime, rice wine vinegar, chili oil.

or

any vegs about to die in the fridge

any meat in the freezer

and hot sauce

Drink maker, heart taker!

Top Ramen is a great receptical for small bits of this and that. Any left over meat: (chicken, pork, beef) diced 1/4 inch. Frozen peas, broccoli, Sriracha, green onions, carrots, celery. Soy sauce. Eggs: either dolloped in and let to cook without stirring so that I get broth and egg, or if I feel like having a thicker, hearier soup I will stir the egg in and emulsify it into the soup. My cousin used to put parmesan cheese in it. Oh, and I do use the flavor package. I know, I know sodium, etc. But its one of those hold overs from childhood!

I almost always add an egg to mine. Then it's whatever's in the fridge that I'm in the mood for - leftover meat, scallions, and greens usually work the best for me. And kimchi! Usually just the juice to make it spicy & then I eat the kimchi on the side. Oh, and sometimes a little drizzle of toasted sesame oil is good too.

Sometimes I make it with canned low sodium, low fat chicken stock, leave out the flavor packet and add soy sauce and sesame oil. I add tofu, potstickers, kamaboko, leftover chicken to the stock and add a raw egg to semi-cook for the last 2 minutes. I'll add kimchi and scallions to the bowl and pour the soup over them. Top with shichimi and furikake.

Back in college I used to drain off most of the water, add soy, cayenne, black pepper, and sesame oil, and then maybe sprinkle a little of the packet back in so you get this really hot, oily, and salty mass of noodles. Let it sit for a minute so the liquid is absorbed. Rarely consumed before midnight, and usually straight out of the pan.

OK, maybe I still do that.

buy one package of ramen, buy everything you like at the salad bar, find that one lonely chicken cutlet/pork chop/small steak in your freezer. Palce ramen block in bowl of hot water and stir fry the rest of ingrediants add softened ramen seasoning pack sesame oil etc to taste

serves 2 for about 4 bucks :rolleyes:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

my favorite is napa cabbage and asian style meat balls, fish balls, shrimp balls, squid, and pork balls. I buy them all at the asian market and throw them in a large freezer bag where they all get mixed up. When I want ramen I just toss a handful in the boiling water, wait a bit, and then add my napa cabbage and ramen noodles. Yum. Lately I've been throwing out the seasoning packet and just adding some thai sukiyaki sauce to the bowl. When I was younger and lived above a thai restaurant me and the other kid who lived there would come down to the kitchen right before open and make Mama minced pork flavor with whatever was in the mise en place. Talk about being able to be creative with your ramen! We always got made fun of by the cooks though since we could have asked them to make us any dish we wanted but instead chose to eat ramen. I put it down to being young and stupid :rolleyes:

Nappa cabbage, bok choy, or just about any asian greens, bits of char siu, dumplings, green onion shards, shredded ginger or pickled ginger, and chili oil all make appearances in my ramen. Sapporo Ichiban Original for me, too.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Tofu, Sriracha, toasted sesame oil and lots of shredded lettuce and crushed peanuts on top. Maybes- lime, torn cilantro, bean sprouts or thai basil. I always eat my ramen with chopsticks and slurp the broth from the bowl.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

What's your preferred ramen brand?  I only use Sapporo Ichiban Original.

My preferred ad well! But I also like the spicy Korean brands too - Shin, Neoguri

If I'm making ramen for 2, I like to combine 1 Sapporo Ichiban Original & 1 spicy Korean brand. Then add my add-ins.

I add stock or two extra flavor packets to accomodate the add ons

Top add ons

1. scallions

2. dark sesame oil

3. frozen stir fry veggies

4. Whatever I have left over or frozen (shrimp, chicken)

Less often add ons

1. Lemon grass,

2. kaffir lime leaves,

3. chili paste with garlic

4. Duck, scallops

Back in college I used to drain off most of the water, add soy, cayenne, black pepper, and sesame oil, and then maybe sprinkle a little of the packet back in so you get this really hot, oily, and salty mass of noodles. Let it sit for a minute so the liquid is absorbed. Rarely consumed before midnight, and usually straight out of the pan.

OK, maybe I still do that.

I still do this too! :biggrin:

I eat Damae (beef flavour) and Shin (spicy, and the Shin kimchi bowls). :wub:

I always poach eggs right in the broth when making instant noodles. It's the only way I can make a poached egg, since the nest of noodles cup the egg while it's cooking. Sesame oil and diced scallion to finish. Mmm!

Edited by Ling (log)

I like Nong Shim ramen from Korea. The noodles have a different texture from the leading brands which I like. For maximum convenience I add frozen 'stir fry mix' vegetables, frozen pre-cooked prawns, and maybe an egg. And, of course, sriracha.

My preferred additions are rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, frozen peas/corn and an egg. I like to whisk the egg a tiny bit so you get bits of egg throughout the noodles.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

I like Nong Shim ramen from Korea.  The noodles have a different texture from the leading brands which I like.  For maximum convenience I add frozen 'stir fry mix' vegetables, frozen pre-cooked prawns, and maybe an egg.  And, of course, sriracha.

Yes! Me too! Those noodles are the best.

They have the bowl kind where you just add hot water? Those are good too.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog