• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choosing Wine in a Restaurant

Dinah Sarah

During a business trip you are invited out for fine dinning, (by a colleague/peer)

It's their town and their tab.

Your host graciously asked you to pick the wine.

Is there an appropriate price point you should adhere to?

If there is something special on the wine list that you have been wanting to

try or you think would go wonderful with the meal,

let your host know - your pick your tab

Or let er rip... after all it's their tab and you get a chance to show

'em what you know :biggrin: : :laugh:

During a business trip you are invited out for fine dinning, (by a colleague/peer)

'em what you know  :biggrin:  : :laugh:

I ask.

Yeah, it may be uncivil or embarassing but I have no desire to have those emotions play out when the check arrives.

Usually, I find a couple different wines at differing price points and let the host assist in the choice - no surprises.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

'em what you know  :biggrin:  : :laugh:

good question.

tricky situation!

First, you are pairing the wine with food that should be the prime consideration--something that works with the food.

As for price--someone who really appreciates wine can show "what they know" best by finding some selections that are good bargains and are not neccessarily the most expensive or highly marked up. It is a no brainer to select the '55 Margaux.

Also --IMOP it is good taste to involve your host in the decision--ask him or her what kind of wines they enjoy--ask" have you tried the....?" basically give them a chance to provide you with some guidance as to what they might like and also in the process you should be able to get an idea of what they would be comfortable with price wise. The old trick of focusing on three wines in differing price ranges and saying: "well there are a few nice choices that will work well all are really good i think--what do you think?" usually works well. (this is often used by sommeliers).

I do not think it is appropriate to simply select a wine based solely upon your criteria alone--that is to say pick a wine that you have wanted to try to "let er rip..." so to speak. after all you are picking wine for the both of you to go with your food.

It can be tempting but ordering a wine that is very expensive may leave you wondering --"did I go overboard?" or worse--leave your guest somewhat resentful of your taking advantage of his or her graciousness.

Even when I am asked to select wine for others --i always involve them in the final decision.

I want them to enjoy the wine and to be comfortable with the price.

also

what is really impressive--is showing your knowledge of wine by finding a "lesser known" lower or moderately priced wine that most people would overlook but will provide pleasure for you and your host.

There are so many factors that could be at play here. Is the host intimidated by the thought of ordering wine? Is this a "test" the host has planned for the guest? And how much does the guest know about wine?

But. . .

Having been in that situation more times than I can accurately count, I can share what I do. Generally, I don't know my host's taste in wine, so I'll ask a couple of questions. Picking a wine the other person will like trumps price. But once I know something of that, I'll look to pick a wine at a price point that won't raise the eyebrows of my host or my host's accounting department. I feel if I can select a wine the hosts likes that costs less than the host thought it would, I've made the impression I need to make.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I second the suggestions above--inquire about your host's and tablemates' tastes, then involve them in the final decision, or make a suggestion and explain your choice. Even if it's a "test" you will always pass with flying colors if you are gracious, considerate, and solicit input.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

A good guideline is between 2.5 to 3 times the cost of the average entree in that particular establishment. If it's a steakhouse and the average entree is $30, then going for a bottle that's around $75 won't raise too many eyebrows. If the average entree is $20 then pick something around $50. This keeps the wine in line with the dinner costs and presumably the restaurant will have a winelist that reflects their pricing structure appropriately.

And of course ask your host what they like. That goes without saying.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I tend to be uncomfortable in these situations - thanks for the interesting and useful guidelines -

Interesting point and thanks for the heads up Brad - Re: the host actually wanting to make it some sort of test -

politics of play so to speak.. especially in a business to business relationship -

I think that last suggestion is a little dangerous. I know that I'm comfortable with spending more for wine than I'd assume others would be.

I frankly think it's a little unfair for a host to put a guest in this position. When it happens to me (although it's rare that I get treated to dinner, I reflect), I usually end up ordering something toward (never at, obviously) the lower end of the list's price range. (As someone noted, if you know anything about wine, you can almost always find good bottles at that price point if the list is any good.) I personally think that even the tactic of offering your host three choices at three different price points is a bit wrong, as it puts your host in an awkward position.