• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curd Cheese and Cheese Curds

It should do.

Is it a bit salty and makes a "squick squick" sound when you eat it ?

It's a spread, not individual curds. It's definitely got a salty tang to it but no squeak. The texture is more like cream cheese, a very firm cream cheese but still spreadable. I thought maybe if it was the same thing, just in a different form, I could just drop little bits of cheese on the fries like individual curds.

Sackville,

No, it is not the same curd it seems. This is weird as the name would sound right in english but the description is way off. Cheese curds used for poutine is basically extremely fresh cheddar, that is coagulated to a certain size and bagged, I think it is done here a lot because of the milk quotas. But I am sure that you can find a variation of it when described as "farm fresh cheddar". Basically you are looking for a very white, salty fresh cheese with the consistancy of silicone... , hence the fact that it will squeek in your mouth. A lot of the cheap pizza place use it for topping, you will likely only be able to get a brick but you can chop it up in inch size cube before dropping it over hot fries.

Sackville,

No, it is not the same curd it seems. This is weird as the name would sound right in english but the description is way off. Cheese curds used for poutine is basically extremely fresh cheddar, that is coagulated to a certain size and bagged, I think it is done here a lot because of the milk quotas. But I am sure that you can find a variation of it when described as "farm fresh cheddar". Basically you are looking for a very white, salty fresh cheese with the consistancy of silicone... , hence the fact that it will squeek in your mouth. A lot of the cheap pizza place use it for topping, you will likely only be able to get a brick but you can chop it up in inch size cube before dropping it over hot fries.

I should have known it was too good to be true! Will just wait until I go home to get my poutine fix. Now to figure out what to do with my mystery cheese :huh: