• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dump, Chiffon, Sponge?

ablosh

I'm a really new baker having just discovered a passion for baking about three months ago when I was forced to bake cookies for a fundraising. I've become a REALLY avid baker as I bake away almost all of the free time I can get from school. So forgive me if I start asking nearly-brainless questions.

I've tried baking HERSHEY'S PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE CAKE and Black Magic Cake, mostly just dump cakes (mixing wet ingredients first and then dry and mix altogether.)

They're okay but when I tried to cut them and turn them into a layer cake, I was really disappointed as they were very crumbly and soft. I've tried several times, mostly with torn pieces and a lot of clean-up. I have to cut in half because I don't have two pans of the same sizes...I have just one 7," 9" and 10" round pans.

Help! What types of cake would be STURDY and yet, soft and moist at the same time?

Any recipes would be great too. :biggrin:

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

I use Both the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate and Black Magic cakes all the time and slice and fill with whipped ganache or buttercream. Make sure to let the cake cool completely, even chilled is good. Use a serrated knife or a large cake leveler. Don't try to pick up the split layers, slide a cake circle/cardboard or even a flat cookie sheet or tart pan bottom between the cut pieces to lift the top off. Spread filling and then position top layer and slide support out. I then crumb coat and chill before final frosting or coating with ganache.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I really appreciate them and will hopefully end my wrong layering ways. Hehe! :biggrin:

MILADYINSANITY, I will check out that thread as they seem to be onto something really special.

SHALOOP, I've never thought about transferring the layers via cardboard. I usually destroy them by using two spatulas or my hands to balance the thin layer and them flip! Eek! Now, I will also follow HQAntithesis' advice of chilling or freezing before cutting. Maybe they will lessen my crumbs.

Question though, do I have to plastic wrap them? Or can I just store them in an airtight container?

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

I would also suggest chilling the cakes and using the cardboard. You can freeze the cakes too, but they'd still have to be thawed before slicing, or the knife won't go thru them very well.

If you are using a standard home kitchen freezer (that also contains your personal food), you really should plastic wrap the cakes then place in a freezer bag to help prevent the odors from seeping in. They won't keep that well in a basic freezer for too long, as the odors will eventually creep into the cake. If you're only freezing long enough to make the cake handle well, then you don't have to worry (still plastic wrap it though).

I would also suggest chilling the cakes and using the cardboard.  You can freeze the cakes too, but they'd still have to be thawed before slicing, or the knife won't go thru them very well. ..

I freeze cake layers all the time, as the guys I cook for eat like birds and won't even finish a half of a two layer cake. I freeze the layers separately wrapped twice in plastic wrap, and when I want a half for dessert, I unwrap one, cut it in half, wrap the rest and stick it back in the freezer.

Frozen, they cut like a dream with a long thin chef knife, not even serrated.

Then I quickly slice the half layer into two thin layers and place one on the cake plate (I have a semi-circle one!) and proceed to do things to them like sprinkle both cut sides with Blackberry Brandy, spread the bottom layer with Blackberry preserves, place the top layer on and frost lightly with just a thin layer of buttercream. That's their favorite--not overly sweet with too much frosting. I cut them into four pieces while still mostly frozen and the pieces come out looking great--no crumbling or raggedy edges.

Sometimes I place a layer of ice cream in between the half-layers, frost the top with the buttercream and freeze again.

It's not the destination, but the journey!

Good suggestions! My family on the other hand eat cakes like they're connosieurs, so I hardly get the 'two thumbs up' approval. I usually just receive a 6 or 7 out of 10...so I'm really working hard to up my "grade" and make a better presentation of my cakes.

Thank you guys! Merry Christmas!!!