• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiga

Daniel

Was walking by the old Indian Oven space...

200 W 84th St, New York 10024

Btwn Bway & Amsterdam Ave

Well, since the place has closed, a new Italian Restaurant has opened.. It was so cold and we noticed people, so we walked in... Turns out, it was opening night for friends and family.. When we told the chefs wife we were just walking by, she demanded we come in and hang out... 8 different crostinis and a couple of pasta dishes later, we left happy....

The place is a welcome addition.. They have interesting dishes from duck breast in chocolate sauce, to wild boar, and pig cheeks.. Mains are 20 bucks, primi are like 15.. I met the chef/owner, he also runs another restaurant down on 12 st.. Either Beppe, or Peppe..

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 1 month later...

What a nifty addition to the 'hood! Small, crowded and noisy in a jovial way, the people are excited by and love what they're doing, convivial atmosphere.

OK, cutting to the chase: this is some seriously ambitious food, particularly for an area where Celeste remains the standard by which Italian shops are measured. The beef tartare millefoglie is a particularly high-tone dish for what would appear to be a simple trattoria: 2 parmesan crisps layered with luxurious beef tartare studded with black truffles and topped with a poached quail egg. Luscious. The zucchini timbale was more simplistic and earthy but no less rich and satsifying in its spicy tomato sauce. Same for the mushroom and gorgonzola cheese lasagna: utlimate cold weather comfort food, and terrific even though it wasn't cold weather. My cocoa gnocchi with wild boar and porcini ragu needed a touch of salt to bring out the earthy flavors. This isn't a dish you'd want a lot of, but boy was it tasty.

For dessert we split the white chocolate souffle with julienned radiccio in balsamic vinegar sauce. This is one of those interesting desserts that I'm happy to have tried once, but don't need again. It's actually a small white chocolate gateau on a bed of julienned radiccio with the sauce. I look forward to trying the other options on the dessert menu next time.

They could offer more wines by the glass, although the Nebbiola I had was luscious, and my friend was perfectly happy with this chardonnay, and in gratitude for our highly vocal enthusiasm of the food we were each comped both a glass of limoncello and prosecco. Total came to $70 a person. Absolutely worth the visit, even eating at the tiny, cramped bar.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

[...]They could offer more wines by the glass, although the Nebbiola I had was luscious, and my friend was perfectly happy with this chardonnay, and in gratitude for our highly vocal enthusiasm of the food we were each comped both a glass of limoncello and prosecco.  Total came to $70 a person.  Absolutely worth the visit, even eating at the tiny, cramped bar.

The food sounds very good, but it also sounds like it's about the same price or perhaps a bit more than Lupa. Aside from its convenient location for Upper West Siders, is the quality of the food comparable to Lupa's? If so, that would be very exciting.

Michael aka "Pan"

The food sounds very good, but it also sounds like it's about the same price or perhaps a bit more than Lupa. Aside from its convenient location for Upper West Siders, is the quality of the food comparable to Lupa's? If so, that would be very exciting.

On our visit, (the owners also own cacio e pepe on 2nd Ave. around 12th St.) - I thought the food, while good, didn't measure up to 'cesca or Lupa - of course, we ate there a month or more ago, so I don't remember all we ordered - I do remember the gnocci and thought it was quite good. They are definitely pushing the (Italian) envelope with some of the taste combinations

But, as ewindels said, at $70 per person, this is way beyond 'celeste prices, as well as, imo, beyond Lupa prices.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I ate at Cacio e Pepe recently. My dinner there with a friend did indeed cost more than that same friend paid for a dinner at Lupa the following night, and the food, though solid, was certainly not comparable to Lupa's. I believe it was just over $120 plus for two dinners with some amount of wine that time at Cacio e Pepe.

Michael aka "Pan"

That's my feeling about the food at Cacio e Pepe as well - solid, but doesn't take you over the top like at Lupa. They're not as avant garde at Cacio as they're trying to be at Spiga, which is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on one's taste.

BTW, have you been to Lupa since Mark has "departed" to Del Posto?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 5 months later...

Spiga

200 West 84th Street

(212) 362-5506

gallery_15057_2971_20540.jpg

We finally had dinner here this evening and it was as good as I was hoping it to be.. The menu, although not inexpensive, is certainly solid.. The setting is dark and romantic, with rich woods and exposed brick.. We sat in our own corner and were able to enjoy ourselves.

I started with the Zuchini Timbale.. I really enjoyed the dish.. It was in a cheesey san marzano tomato sauce.. The texture of the zuchini was great, making it a more sturdy version of eggplant parm.. Really smart, I cant believe this is the first time I had zuchini like this.. Really interesting.

gallery_15057_2971_155020.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_138887.jpg

My girl had the strawberry and tomato soup with avacado ,toasted almonds and fried mussles.. This dish is a great summer offering.. The strawberry was very present while not being overly sweet.. When tasting the dish you get the strawberry, half way through you taste a rich tomato and then it finishes strawberry..The soup incredible enough, was not as sweet as one would expect.. The creamy avacado, the toasted taste of the almonds, and the perfectly fried, battered mussel worked so well..

gallery_15057_2971_55592.jpg

Slurp:

gallery_15057_2971_77256.jpg

Next they split a pasta dish for us.. We were deciding between three pastas, but finally went with gnocci with figs and gorgonzola..This gnocci was awesome.. Light and airy.. Really this was top notch pasta, expertly done.. The sauce although had the melted cheese was not overly creamy.. Considering the dish had pasta, potato, figs, and melted cheese, it seemed fairly light.. It worked on a Summer menu..

gallery_15057_2971_77189.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_2971_59419.jpg

After splitting the pasta we also split the Filet.. It was served in a black truffle sauce with fried artichokes and potatoes.. This dish was my least favorite.. I ordered the steak medium rare/rare.. And it came closer to medium.. I also did not like the way the steak was cooked.. It was not seared well.. The sauce was alright and had chunks of black truffles.. The artichokes added some texture to the non-charred steak.. I think, if you are willing to spend a couple grand for an espresso machine, spend a few grand for a good broiler too..

gallery_15057_2971_153948.jpg

For dessert we had a strawberry Napolean with aged balsamic vinegar.. This was as good as it looks.. Good cream, good pastry, and the balsamic went well..

Pretty too:

gallery_15057_2971_69969.jpg

We also had muscat gelato on a soft almond biscotti.. The "gelato" was missing something on its own, but was very good with the cookie.. It was icey and reminded me more of an ice cream.. The cookie had a crispy thin shell which barely protected a chewy (almond paste?)cookie underneath.. It was pretty good..

gallery_15057_2971_115686.jpg

We had espresso and a not so good lemoncello.. Perhaps my least favorite I have ever had.. I really like tonights dinner.. It was pricey.. Not over priced, but, by no means a bargain.. They have a romantic quiet atmosphere, interesting offerings, and a block away from my house.. I will happily go back..

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 4 months later...

Had dinner here this evening.. The winter menu is in full affect.. They are making interesting food.. For dessert I had an espresso marscapone mousse, around the plate were sambuca aspic dollops, each with a little bean on top.. I started with a tartare of beef that was in between thick layers of parm crisps.. On top was a fried quail egg and a sliced truffle.. This was lovely.. My girl ordered a cuttle fish in tomato sauce served over polenta.. For a pasta we split a cocoa gnocci served with a stewed wild boar.. Perfectly stewed strands of boar in a rich stock, with cocoa gnocci.. The gnocci was not half stepping here.. It was chewy, plentiful and held its chocolate taste.. We split the dish and we felt it could be easily split between four people..

Last thing we had before dessert: We got the pork loin.. Served with braised cabbage and fried cream!! Fried cream you ask! Make a custard cream with more flour then normal.. Freeze it, roll it in corn meal, and then fry it.. It reminded me of the fried mayo from WD-50, but a lot more dessertish..

Edited by Daniel (log)