• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kanom Pang

Sorry, that was sloppy terminology. It's more of a shrimp puree or mousse, like this monsoon1.jpg It's Vietnamese, and I love it.

I don't have any pandan extract, have never used it, but I know where to get it. Next time I'm over there I'll give it a whirl.

Sorry, that was sloppy terminology.  It's more of a shrimp puree or mousse, like this monsoon1.jpg  It's Vietnamese, and I love it.

I don't have any pandan extract, have never used it, but I know where to get it.  Next time I'm over there I'll give it a whirl.

I think I have heard of that. Haven't had a chance to try it though. I love vietnamese also. Is it really sweet?

I've never used pandan essense either. I'm not even sure if my local asian market will have. I'll definitely be looking for it so I can try my hand at pound cake.

Hi all...

A chacun son gout...! But the pork (or bacon for that matter) w/ cinnamon thing doesn't appeal to me... Anyway, it looks like we have collectively solved the mystery!

The pic above is of a Vietnamese dish called (in Thai) kung phan oy ("shrimp wrapped around sugar cane"). The actual shrimp is not really sweet, other than what it absorbs from the sugar cane.

Ptitpois, what you saw might have been a salty sweet dipping sauce for sour mangoes. Were the shrimp like rather large dried shrimp, and was it sold along green unripe mangoes?

Isn't the Khukrit Paramot the author of Sii Phaen Din?

Austin

The pic above is of a Vietnamese dish called (in Thai) kung phan oy ("shrimp wrapped around sugar cane").  The actual shrimp is not really sweet, other than what it absorbs from the sugar cane.

I never liked that dish very much. I prefer "uncaned" shrimp.

Ptitpois, what you saw might have been a salty sweet dipping sauce for sour mangoes.  Were the shrimp like rather large dried shrimp, and was it sold along green unripe mangoes?

Yes, the shrimp were large, a bit like dried shrimp but shiny and translucent. I was so amazed by the sight that I failed to notice any green mangoes nearby. Thinking back, I don't think there were any.

Of course I took a picture.

shrimp.jpg

Isn't the Khukrit Paramot the author of Sii Phaen Din?

Huh?

Austin! Finally back from the north? Can't wait to see what all you ate up there. Hope you got some good pictures of kao soi. I'm not sure who the author of Sii Phaen Din is. I thought he was a Mom somthing or other though. Have you read the book? It's very good. I believe it won awards and stuff.

The pic above is of a Vietnamese dish called (in Thai) kung phan oy ("shrimp wrapped around sugar cane").  The actual shrimp is not really sweet, other than what it absorbs from the sugar cane.

In Vietnamese, I think it is called:

Chạo Tôm

The shrimp paste is mixed with a heavy dose of garlic and grilled/BBQed. I love this dish!

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

In Vietnamese, I think it is called:

Chạo Tôm

The shrimp paste is mixed with a heavy dose of garlic and grilled/BBQed. I love this dish!

Hrm.. if you like it Ah Leung I'm definitely going to have to try it :raz:

Hi Abra,

I'm very late coming to this thread, and perhaps I'm waaaay off, but could this bread with the fluffy topping be anything similar to what you're looking for.

gallery_11814_1914_50366.jpg

This is one of my favorite rolls -- it has a very soft and floofy texture and the "floss" or fried shredded topping, in this case chicken, when fresh from the bakery is like savory cotton candy.

Oh, wait...it doesn't have raisins in it....oh shooot.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I think we've managed to identify the thing anyway. According to what Abra wrote in the first message, it is a soft and fluffy bread, containing raisins and a little cinnamon. And the pork topping is not apparently sold with it, but added before eating. The only soft and fluffy bread of that sort I could find was the classic Thai raisin bread of which I posted a picture of. Seems to fit the bill.

Anyway I went back to Nonthaburi a couple of days ago. There's a lot of bakers on the covered-market side of the main street. I spotted an artisanal version of the raisin bread and here is the picture. I didn't taste it though, and I don't know about the cinnamon.

Here's the pic:

pains1.jpg

While I was at it, I spotted an interesting cake decoration in the display window: birds, some sort of pandas, bunnies and bananas. I identified it as genuinely Thai because of two details: the pandas are doing a wai, and of course the bananas. Oh, this cake seems to have raisins too.

g_teau.jpg

The funny thing is that, in the street nearby, some people are selling bunnies, and they feed them bananas.

lapins21.jpg

Edited by Ptipois (log)

Austin, I took the picture last night after my husband brought home a couple of the flossy breads. They're available at a chain bakery called Breadtalk here in Bandung.

I must admit...I like all breads from the blistery charred naans of India, crusty European peasant loaves to the Southern US traditional baking powder biscuits, especially lavishly slathered with butter. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't love them so much... my waistline doth protest.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti