• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for mini party treats in the grocery

I went to Superstore to purchase a small box of profiteroles/cream puffs and they were sold out so I used their in-store coupons to buy a box of assorted frozen eclairs.

I usually make profiteroles myself but due to lack of time I find myself having to buy pre-made items to bring to parties.

I notice Superstore and Costco have good deals on frozen mini desserts and appetizers such as wings, meatballs, mini-quiches.

Are there any other sources of pre-made mini food treats that eGulleteers care to

divulge? I prefer the convenience and selection of a grocer rather than a caterer due to cost and portability. It does not necessarily have to be frozen. I know I could do a simple jar of salsa and tortillas or a plate of cold cuts but I thought I'd fish for more ideas from some brilliant minds here.

Though it's not a grocer, you could try Pan-O-Pan on East Broadway, 1 block east of Main Street on the north side of the road. With any luck, either snacky_cat or mamacat will chime in as I know they swear by Chef Marta Pan's goodies.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Though it's not a grocer, you could try Pan-O-Pan on East Broadway, 1 block east of Main Street on the north side of the road.  With any luck, either snacky_cat or mamacat will chime in as I know they swear by Chef Marta Pan's goodies.

Heh heh, here I am! Pan-o-Pan is like manna from heaven to the busy person who has to churn out mounds and mounds of hors d'ouvres fast and on a budget. You can choose an hors d'ouevres base - they generally have at least two or three of the following in stock: inch diameter small cups made from either torilla rounds or wonton wrappers, small puff pastry rounds, or crostini of various sorts. You then choose the filling you want, which comes in disposable icing bags - snip the tip and squeeze into the cup. Flavours included roasted beet/goat cheese/orange oil, sundried tomato,wild mushroom truffle, port and stilton, tuna and caper, and probably a couple more that escape me. They're all delicious. One bag of base and one tube of filling will set you back $10, and make about 2 dozen gorgeous little bites.

Props to Pan-o-Pan for getting the proportions right - one bag of filling fills generously fills one bag of bases. How a litter catering joitn on Broadway managed to figure out a mystery that has eluded the hot dog industry for years is beyond me. :wink:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I second (actually, I guess I third) the recomendation for Pan-o-Pan. Marta is a passionate cook who understands your needs! The food is great, and since you kind of assemble it yourself, you can take some, or all, of the credit. I've even bought stuff from her for parties at home when I had no time to do it myself.

Jeff