• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back-of-the-Package Cooking

Suzanne F

I LOVE the spinach dip on the box of the KNORR vegetable soup and dip mix

There's a book of dips coming out soon (might be out already?) by Rick Rodgers that includes that one and variations. Thought you might like to know. :smile:

One of the many book proposals I've had rejected by every publisher in the world was the Back of the Box Cookbook. Unfortunately, it seems that somebody did a book 22 years ago with the catchy title The Side and Back Panel Cookbook: Recipes from the Boxes, Packages, Cans, and Bottles of Your Favorite Foods, it didn't sell particularly well, and therefore publishers have concluded that there is no market for such a book. Whatever. I happen to think that, given the sheer number of Americans who cook from on-package recipes, there would be an audience for a collection of the best ones. I bet the Japanese would want to translate it too.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Ellen, maybe it's time for you to try again? When I searched on Amazon, the most recent book with that subject they list is from 1994 (Michael McLaughlin's More Back of the Box Gourmet); others dated from 1981, 1982, 1984, and 1992. Tastes may have changed, and the recipes on the packages may have, too.

• 6 months later...
I LOVE the spinach dip on the box of the KNORR vegetable soup and dip mix

Me too. I grew up on it.

I also grew up on Hoho Ice Cream Cake that my grandmother got off of a box or magazine add (it's a copy so I don't know which).

Can't make without the recipe on the package...

Rice Krispie Treats

Toulouse Cookies

Chex Mix

Raspberry carrots

One of the many book proposals I've had rejected by every publisher in the world was the Back of the Box Cookbook. Unfortunately, it seems that somebody did a book 22 years ago with the catchy title The Side and Back Panel Cookbook: Recipes from the Boxes, Packages, Cans, and Bottles of Your Favorite Foods, it didn't sell particularly well, and therefore publishers have concluded that there is no market for such a book. Whatever. I happen to think that, given the sheer number of Americans who cook from on-package recipes, there would be an audience for a collection of the best ones. I bet the Japanese would want to translate it too.

With the cake doctor popularity and all, I bet it might be time to resubmit this idea...similiar market, I would think.

In my library, I seem to remember books that show you how to make recipes that either copy well known products (that one that shows how to make your own twinkies, peanut butter cups, etc) or have copies of well known recipes from the back of the box. I think it's been done a lot, from different angles, but that doesn't mean that there isn't yet another angle to be found, on the subject.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

The sugar cookies on the back of the cornstarch box--we made lots of those in college--and the really great chewy ginger cookies on the back of "The Ginger People" candied ginger can.

Velvet Crumb Cake from the back of the Bisquick packet circa 1975 (basically, a very close-textured plain sponge topped with mixture of dessicated coconut, nuts, brown sugar and butter, then grilled till crunchy).

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

My grandmother's trademark recipe was off a bisquick box. It's a ring mold cinnamon coffee cake with a caramel topping and cherries, just love it. I have great memories of making it with her as a kid.

And oatmeal scotchies... mmmm.

I don't cook from cans and boxes very often though as I have been burned. Never ever try anything "mexican" off the back of the canned tomatoes. bleh.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Dumplings from the Bisquick box

Pumpkin pie from the Libbys can - add more spice

Oatmeal cookies from The Quaker box- double the raisins

Green bean casserole - kid's favorite from the French's Onion can

Puppy Chow from Crispix box

My secret cornbread - a box each of Jiffy white cake and corn bread mix made according to pkg directions

Meatloaf from the Lipton Onion soup pkg