• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back-of-the-Package Cooking

Suzanne F

I think that it was a bag of Double-H sauerkraut where I got the idea of cooking the kraut with beer and caraway seed.

I always cook it this way now, and usually add kielbasa and new potatoes.

Easy comfort food.

BB

Try adding "country ribs" instead of the sausage :wub: and add some sliced onions, too!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

1 pint sour cream

2 tablespoons dehydrated minced onion

1 tablespoon instant beef boullion or concentrated beef stock base

WOW :blink:

Ok, not making this up, but I've been preparing this for about five years now, and I never read the recipe, I thought this was something I invented! Serious.

I add a tiny dab of sugar to this too.

We have it with Ritz crackers, it's really good. This is weird.I really thought I was the only one.....

---------------------------------------

My husband fav. chocolate chip cookies from ghiradelli's dark chocolate bag!!

Hey, at least your hubby has picked the right package!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

One bowl brownies from the Baker's chocolate box.  Well, I DO change it a bit, lessen the sugar, remove the butter, add apple sauce.... but, still, it's from the label!

Those are modifications that would NEVER occur to me to make in a brownie recipe...

Actually, my favorite brownies ever come from the recipe on the Baker's chocolate box, but with an extra stick of butter and a bag of Nestle's Semisweet Morsels added. Those are the kind of modifications that would occur to me, except they occurred first to my piano teacher's housekeeper, who would make them for the receptions after the monthly studio recitals. Invariably, they were the best part of the recital!

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Those are modifications that would NEVER occur to me to make in a brownie recipe...

Yup, I like my brownies fudgey as opposed to, um, buttery. :wacko:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Adding APPLESAUCE to brownies somehow makes them fudgier?  Color me unconvinced....

I've got my grease paints out, what color is 'unconvinced' represented by, anyway? :laugh: Gee, maybe you should "Face the Fear", like I did awhile back! Take one for the team! :raz: Actually, it is true, the result of adding fruits to batters is a denser and moister mouthfeel, i.e. fudgey in chocolate recipes. You do lose the mouth coating of a high butterfat content, but that isn't the appeal for me, in a brownie. For me it's all about a fudgey texture and a crackled top, and a very dense chocolate taste. I haven't been using Baker's lately, though. It's been Fazer chocolate lately, I've received a gift of the stuff from a nice Swedish boy. A bit too sweet for my taste, so into the recipes it goes!

edited by me to repair the crackles!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06