• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Bean Casserole

MarketStEl

I've only had it when the beans were so over cooked they were almost gray.  You start with canned green beans, dump 'em in a pot and boil 'em 'til they burst.  Taste and give 'em another ten minutes just to make sure there is none of that nasty crispness is left.  By then they look like dead slugs.  Turn them loose into a sea of goopy soup and bake them to make triple sure those beans are cooked.  Add onion rings to dress it up.  Now avert your eyes, while I pick off and eat the onions.  .....

OK, now that sounds dreadful.

Mind you, "Southern Style" green beans cook THE HELL out of green beans (with bacon etc) until they are, indeed, very VERY soft..... ;-) But with some Southern Fried Chicken, some collard greens (cooked the same way) w/ ham and extra pot likker, maybe some mac n cheese w/ velveeta...now that's another classic.

Years ago a church group to which I belonged prepared Thanksgiving dinner for the rest of the congregation every year. I was assigned to make the green bean casserole.  i didn't know what it was until I went home and googled it.  i was appalled that they would ask me to make something with canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup and canned onion rings but I made it and it got eaten completely.  My son likes it now and wants it for Thanksgiving and I don't mind it either.. once a year.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago, my mom made the casserole for Thanksgiving. We were all puzzled by it because we never had it before at our holiday dinners. My mom swore she used to make it all of the time when we were younger. Us "kids" guessed she had seen the TV commercial for the casserole one too many times and she thought it was something we had always had. So much for the power of TV commercials.  :huh:

We made her promise to never make it again. There are so many other side dishes that are far better than this casserole.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver