• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bubba Gump is for real in Louisiana Waters

Mayhaw Man

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/dining/21orle.html

This is a really well done piece. The New York Times is THE ONE paper in this country that is spending the time and the money to cover this story the way that it should be covered. Kudos to Kim Severson on a nice piece today.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

That was a great story.

She was here all week. I'm pretty sure that there will be more of that kind of thing in the next week or so. She got the whole "Misery Tour" in a big way.

Are other paper's covering food in New Orleans? The Dallas Morning News runs extensive coverage on the city (today there was an A1 article with an enormous photo about trash pick-up), but not so much on food. Then again, other than the NYT there are very few paper's that devote much space to food as news.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Well, I know that I have a piece on food (coffee production) running on the East Coast next week in a daily-and I know a couple of others who do as well, but generally it seems that NYT is doing a better, broader, and generally more balanced kind of coverage than anyone else.

The Nation has a pretty well done series this month (there are some flaws, but it's the nature of the beast right now-it's impossible to get it all straght. Too much, too big, too gut wrenching) that I would reccomend to anyone.